Ride Control Firmware

I was reluctant to update my 2018 Giant Road E+1 Pro after a previous update rendered my bike unusable (fixed foc by my LBS) but as my service icon was showing I decided to take the chance and if it failed I would just take my bike to my LBS! My first attempt failed but nothing bad happened this time so I tried again and my firmware and ride control updates went through successfully, but my bluetooth update failed! I tried once more and the update worked! I was riding my bike today and realised my service icon had disappeared, I wasn't unhappy about this ;)

My ride control was replaced after the first failure and I noticed the odometer had reset to zero, before the recent update my odometer was showing just under 5000 miles and after the update it is now showing over 8000 miles which must be the overall mileage my motor has covered! Strangely though my GPS is showing a total mileage of 7423 miles...quite a discrepancy!

I was reluctant to update my 2018 Giant Road E+1 Pro after a previous update rendered my bike unusable (fixed foc by my LBS) but as my service icon was showing I decided to take the chance and if it failed I would just take my bike to my LBS! My first attempt failed but nothing bad happened this time so I tried again and my firmware and ride control updates went through successfully, but my bluetooth update failed! I tried once more and the update worked! I was riding my bike today and realised my service icon had disappeared, I wasn't unhappy about this ;)

My ride control was replaced after the first failure and I noticed the odometer had reset to zero, before the recent update my odometer was showing just under 5000 miles and after the update it is now showing over 8000 miles which must be the overall mileage my motor has covered! Strangely though my GPS is showing a total mileage of 7423 miles...quite a discrepancy!

I have not had my EVO replaced and this update added 1200 miles to my Giant EVO odometer. No idea where it came from. Really bummed. But I track my real gear mileage with Strava so I know this funky 1200 extra miles must be a bug. Need to go into the Giant dealer and see if they can do anything about it.

I have not had my EVO replaced and this update added 1200 miles to my Giant EVO odometer. No idea where it came from. Really bummed. But I track my real gear mileage with Strava so I know this funky 1200 extra miles must be a bug. Need to go into the Giant dealer and see if they can do anything about it.
So its not just me, let me know what your dealer has to say about the bug!

Three of them linked now, no issues.
Make sure you've logged into their cloud for the app, you have your metric/imperial set right. It will only save settings with a valid login, BTDT on the last one, it was a little fussy getting it going. Since then it's been fine, no issues, works great.

Has anyone tried the firmware update with a Speedbox 2 fitted?
I'm just putting the finishing touches on installing a BikeSpeed RS (similar to the Speedbox2) on my 2019 Explore E+1. I should know if the firmware upgrade works in a few days. But I'm actually tempted to try updating the firmware before I connect the BikeSpeed RS. It would be too much of a hassle to have to remove it afterwards if the update doesn't work with it installed. Right now my bike is hanging upside down with the motor removed so that I have access to everything. And it was until I put the bike upside down and moved the motor out of the way and looked inside the tubes with a flashlight that I actually found it would be possible to install it. The BSRS is exactly the size of a small opening in the tube and unless you know where it is and can precisely align it, there's no way of getting everything to fit back inside. I'm really pretty sure it's going to work now.

Took my 2018 Dirt E+ pro in for an update. When I went to pick it up, the app connected to it and said there was an update. The guy at the shop suggested that it would take a while so I didn't start the process. Once I got home, I re-connected and the app is, again, telling me that the app isn't compatible with my bike. So disappointed. Anybody have any thoughts on how to get the app to work with my bike? I'd love to be able to tune the assist levels.

The update process is about 3 minutes.
I would unistall it, reinstall and reconnect, run the update when it asks for it.
You have to create a login account to save the data.

I did just that and still says it's incompatible.

When it did tell me there was an update, it asked me to activate walk mode and (from memory) and some 'automatic' mode at the same time to start the process. I know walk mode but didn't know about any other mode.

The guy at the bike shop did tell me that he didn't think the app was compatible with 2018 or earlier models which goes along with what Giant states on one of their pages now.

I'll keep fiddling with it and see if I can get it to work. I've pulled the battery a couple times and reinstalled the app and cleared the app data/cache and still no luck. Maybe I should just go back to enjoying the bike? Lol

Has anyone tried the firmware update with a Speedbox 2 fitted?

I tried it, needed to take the battery off and put in back on.

It updated the firmware but now when I press the walk assist button to switch the Speedbox 2 on/off the speed display doesn't change from 25 to 99 like previously. There's a new bar graph-like thing in the middle of the display where the levels toggle when the walk assist button is pressed.

Haven't been able to get it out for a ride yet, will test then to see all is still OK.

This week I did a firmware update that was listed via the Giant App on my 2020 Fathom E+ 3 29er (32km/h). All went well and now my software version is 20190802000 & hardware version is 20190100000, I'm not sure what the were before as I didn't make note before starting the update. The only change I've noticed is "walk mode". Before you just pushed the walk button to engage, now you push the walk button and the power level indicator LED's cycle thru and you need to push the power level increase button to engage walk mode while this is occurring. It took me a bit of playing to work this out.

It's a shame Giant doesn't have a method of communicating this to owners somewhere as I only realised the change when I needed it on a ride and on a very steep slope.

I thought I saw it somewhere. There was a list of what was addressed...kind of like a MS roll up.
But yeah, AFAK that was all it did, was a safety issue. It's a very basic app.

Went for a ride to test my bike after stupidly updating the firmware with the Speedbox 2 installed...

Now I can't figure out how to enable the Speedbox as previously it was just pressing the walk assist button to toggle it on and off.

Have messaged the Speedbox team to ask, will post here with any outcome.

Comms don't appear to be Giant's strong suit. You would think that when there are major changes to basic functions Giant would want to inform a user. How difficult would it be to add a list of changes in a this firmware feature within the app. Most other manufacturers of electronic items like cameras seem to be able have this feature. Instead Giant users are somehow expected to flounder around until they work out what has changed. In my case on a steep slope!

Went for a ride to test my bike after stupidly updating the firmware with the Speedbox 2 installed...

Now I can't figure out how to enable the Speedbox as previously it was just pressing the walk assist button to toggle it on and off.

Have messaged the Speedbox team to ask, will post here with any outcome.

Pressing Walk and Up works! Phew...

I was charging my battery today and I noticed my display had strangely changed to km, I changed it back to miles and it seems to be showing the correct mileage again...

App updated yesterday with new syncmotor firmware and ride control firmware for my giant road e+pro2 2019

All three bikes had updates this week. It would be nice if they told us what the updates are or what they do.

All three bikes had updates this week. It would be nice if they told us what the updates are or what they do.

What software version do you have ? This is the summary of what I have noticed...

20190802000 - As originally supplied in our 2020 models - Auto selected by pressing down button once after going to zero assistance

20190924000 - As loaded by LBS when serviced - Auto selected by pressing and holding up or down assistance level button

20191231000 - Loaded by iOS app update - Assistance level always defaults to Auto mode when you start the system

Back