Ride Control Firmware

I just attempted connecting the new app to a 2019 QuickE. The app connects, says to contact the dealer, and crashes. On a 2018 QuickE, it simply says it isn’t compatible. Both bikes used to connect to the old app.

I ended up getting a new Trance E+2 Pro, so second bike to connect to the app. It came up with a 'update required to connect' so I did that and it downloaded the file and installed it on the new bike - works perfectly.
The next time I connected to my other bike, the Explore, it did the same thing. So they both got updated. Took about 3 minutes each.

There seems to be more data displayed for the bike settings - all the versions and such showing now.

I ended up getting a new Trance E+2 Pro, so second bike to connect to the app. It came up with a 'update required to connect' so I did that and it downloaded the file and installed it on the new bike - works perfectly.
The next time I connected to my other bike, the Explore, it did the same thing. So they both got updated. Took about 3 minutes each.

There seems to be more data displayed for the bike settings - all the versions and such showing now.
Congrats on the new bike!!! Ride it in good (safe) health!

That’s quite a different direction Browneye jumping over to the trance E+ Pro. Nice bike but keep the wheels down.

That’s quite a different direction Browneye jumping over to the trance E+ Pro. Nice bike but keep the wheels down.

For sure. Took several months of deciding before I took the plunge. Fifty years of motorcycle riding, dirt and street, the most favorite were the trailbikes. I had to quit from nearly breaking my back and neck, got away with just a broken finger. But the pain. :oops: So I was pretty leery about doing the same thing with a MTB. In the end... Could. Not. Resist. LOL

Been out on our local 'loop' the last two weekends, heading out again shortly. This is about the most fun thing you can do with your clothes on. I have to consciously keep the speeds and risks down. No jumping or downhill racing. 😇 The dirt skills transfer right over. 👍

Looks like we're ordering a LIV Amiti for wifey today. I'm tired of futzing around with her broken hub-drive. It will become the project bike. Giant is tops in my book - absolutely love them.

I know what you mean about dirt motorcycle skills makes a better all around biker. I have two motorcycles that haven’t been ridden in the past two years. Far too many close calls with today’s congested streets. Just doesn’t thrill me the way my eBike does but finding it hard to sell the motorcycles. I just don’t ride them anymore. Maybe I’ll sell one of the.motorcycle to buy a new stump jumping eBike too! Maybe not...

Not to jack the thread, but briefly...
2015 I sold my Tiger XC with 27k, to get a new R1200gs. Rode it 9k miles, then the last year 100 miles, so that was it - sold. I’m done . 😌

Has anyone gotten a response from Giant? Dealers don’t seem to know what to do even though the app says to contact them. Giant’s customer service has yet to reply to an email.

With the new firmware update I'm finding the battery drain level has different behavior than before. Prior to this latest firmware, my battery would drain fairly consistently down to about 6% left and then would seem to run down the last 5% more quickly than normal (the same power level being used all along for comparison purposes). After this latest update that changed the walk button behavior, I find I get down to about 17% left and then the level drops like a lead balloon dropping in a mile or two down to 6% while on Eco mode. It then eases off and I can get several miles between 6% and 1% at about the normal drain rate I am used to. Anyone else see this? RideControl app says battery is good. This is 2019 Road E

With the new firmware update I'm finding the battery drain level has different behavior than before. Prior to this latest firmware, my battery would drain fairly consistently down to about 6% left and then would seem to run down the last 5% more quickly than normal (the same power level being used all along for comparison purposes). After this latest update that changed the walk button behavior, I find I get down to about 17% left and then the level drops like a lead balloon dropping in a mile or two down to 6% while on Eco mode. It then eases off and I can get several miles between 6% and 1% at about the normal drain rate I am used to. Anyone else see this? RideControl app says battery is good. This is 2019 Road E

I had this issue before the the firmware update. Will have to wait and see if any change after recent update.

The only way to accurately measure power consumption is with an amps flow meter - a shunt. Since we don't have that level of monitoring available on these packs the next best measure is voltage. And discharge voltage varies based on load, temp, duration, a whole host of things can affect it. So while they do their best to represent the SOC (state of charge) and estimated range remaining, it is fuzzy logic at best. And why you'll see adjusting verses linear amounts.
Measured voltage to gauge SOC is merely 'just close enough'. You can bet the firmware update is an effort to make this more accurate, but it's surely not a silver bullet.

Has anyone gotten a response from Giant? Dealers don’t seem to know what to do even though the app says to contact them. Giant’s customer service has yet to reply to an email.

I got took mine to a Giant dealer today and they updated the firmware using their service tool. I was then able to connect with my phone and the app ran a second firmware update on my phone.

I think we can deduce from this that basically your bike needs to have a fairly recent version of the firmware in order for the App-based firmware update to work. If your firmware is too old you need to get a Giant dealer to do it manually.

Great customer service from Giant. I really enjoyed the two 20km round trips to take my bike to the dealer only to regain exactly the same functionality that I already had.

You are lucky 2019QuickE that you have a Giant dealership only 10km away. Here in Maine I need to travel over 200km for Giant service.

You are lucky 2019QuickE that you have a Giant dealership only 10km away. Here in Maine I need to travel over 200km for Giant service.
You have my sincere sympathies! I have to say, I really like the design of this bike, but the quality has been absolutely abysmal. So far I’ve had to deal with:
This firmware update issue
Earlier firmware issue where bike got speed limited to 16kmh
Replacement back wheel due to faulty hub
Creaking headset bearings
Frame rub on the chain stay due to too much play in the derailleur hanger.

I really like the design of the bike, but I think I will look to sell it after 2 years or so to get some money back, because I have no long term confidence in the quality of this bike.

I’ve been fortunate that I haven't needed to visit the dealership outside of the free 30 day inspection/Adjustment/maintenance checkup but that doesn’t mean my bike has been faultless. Because it’s almost a four hour round trip I deal with minor bike issues, like adjusting the rear derailed, myself. It’s really a simple task, it just looks like it’s complicated. If a service center was in town I wouldn’t attempt to do any adjustments like dealing with the disk brakes or wheel rub I’d just take it in. When I purschased the bike I had zero experience with bike mechanics. Now I feel like one of the Wright brothers. That’s my silver lining.

Hmmm... Your profile says you're in Augusta... Busytown Bikes in Lewiston is only 30 miles (50km) away and their website says they are Giant dealers. Which dealer are you going to that makes you "...need to travel over 200km for Giant service"?

Are you going to Bangor? (To Slipping Gears, perhaps?)

Curious minds want to know. :)

I never heard of Busytown in Waterville. I checked and they do sell Giant Bikes.. Cool! I purchased from Gorham Bike and Ski which has five locations in Maine and a outstanding reputation. I wonder how long Busytown has been selling Giant because when I purchased two Giant eBikes back in Sept. they didn’t pop up in my Google search and they weren’t listed on Giant’s site. That would cut my travel time rather than driving down to Portland. Good to know. I assuming that I could get service from any Giant dealer

No idea how long they've been selling Giant. When I saw your post that you had to go 200 km to get to a dealer, I was curious. I like Maine and have over the years spent much time there. And now every year once or twice I come down through Maine to cut across to New Brunswick on my way to Cape Breton (or further) by motorcycle. And about 40-50 years ago after my parents divorced, my mother moved to Dexter. And my sister was studying in Portland. So I've been around there a lot.

Cheers!

Maine is a wonderful place to live or visit but living here one does make compromises. Winters are far too long and the beauty of a rural state is...well its rural. We refer to the mall in Portland as the ‘Maine Mall’ and the Portland baseball park simply as ‘The Ballpark’. No need to ask which ballpark. There is a local bike shop just eight miles from my place but it’s rarely open and he only sells Raleigh bikes. I read that bicycle shops nationwide were struggling but eBikes sales may have saved them for another generation of riders.

Back