Review of my Luna Cycles Buzzraw X

Cuz Vinny

A4BE6648-2736-4891-ABA4-754CFCB65469.jpeg

B5BA76D8-F0B7-4B2B-A999-92B34AA8B4AF.jpeg

Posting this with Pushkar’s permission.

Finally got my Luna Super Banana V2 done and went on its first ride. I’ll just refer to the bike as “Buzzraw” because I’m not a fan of Luna’s name. My intention with this post is to give a review of the bike and purchase process with Luna and how, in some ways, the process compares to Watt Wagons specifically the Hydra.

The bike is a Coast Cycles Buzzraw X that has a Luna Ludicrous V2 BBSHD and a 52V 18AH Dire Wolf Battery. Peak wattage is a claimed 4000w with 2500w continuous. Even more power is supposed to be available with a 72V battery. Luna did an outstanding job packaging and protecting the bike during shipping. The box it comes in is made to look like it’s a big screen TV vs a bike. Sneaky but it must work because there wasn’t a mark on the bike when I unpacked it. Assembly was flawless and everything worked as it should unlike some other bikes I bought that needed adjustments before riding. Performance wise this thing is stupid fast. Grab a handful of throttle in any of the taller gears and you will end up on the pavement on your back wondering what just happened. My attempt at a top speed run was cut short because I ran out of road and courage. The display read 43 mph and that’s just insane on this little bike. It definitely doesn’t need any more power!

So now my beefs and this is where the difference between Luna and what I’m getting with the Hydra will show. This isn’t a knock or complaint against Luna but all they did was install their motor and battery in the bike. Nothing was done to handle the power this bike makes. Basic SRAM 8 speed setup, cable brakes with 180mm rotors, no upgrades inside the motor like their Peek or steel gears. These are basic off the shelf components and are NOT designed to take this kind of power. Now, like I said I’m not complaining against Luna. It’s basically reflected in the price as to what your getting.

On my own after the purchase I upgraded the brakes to Magura MT5 eStop brakes with 220mm rotors front and rear. I installed Luna’s Peek gear for the BBSHD as the stock nylon gear was doomed at the start. I changed out the tires from street slicks to Coasts AT1 which is a more durable tire. The stock Bafang crank arms sucked so I added Lekkie Buzzbar 160’s. My next project is to strengthen the running gear, ie chain, hub, cassette etc. This is why I was asking questions about DT Swiss hubs and hub durability. Lastly the shocks will be upgraded to Fox Racing shocks as the stock ones suck. I’ve spent a lot of time and money upgrading stuff on the bike to get it to be safe to ride.

So how does this compare or have anything to do with Watt Wagons and the Hydra. A lot actually and it shows what your getting with the Hydra. Both bikes have similar power but the Hydra is a complete bike, meaning every part on it has been thought out and tested. I know when the bike does finally get here the only thing I’ll need to do to it before riding is cut the steerer tube to my liking. That’s it, charge it up and ride. Won’t have to mess with the brakes, tires, chain, cassette, hub etc. Yes I know the Hydra is more expensive initially but when you factor in what I had to change on the Buzzraw they are very close in total cost.

So, now that I made what I intended to be a short post into a novel, I’ll just say I love the Buzzraw for its brute speed and power but I can’t wait for my Hydra to get here as I know it will be unique and very special.

Luna Ludicrous V2 BBSHD and a 52V 18AH Dire Wolf Battery. Peak wattage is a claimed 4000w with 2500w continuous. Even more power is supposed to be available with a 72V battery.
Expect issues.

My favorite troll will likely jump in, but I was the first support fella at Luna. I did thousands of emails and text responses and saw firsthand the issues. If you accept that the reliability and build will have issues and are willing to pay the toll it's all good.
I expect that sooner or later there will be issues that pound us with more regulations. FFS buy a SurRon or electric MC. Ramping up power without better brakes is an accident waiting to happen.

Probably, but nothing so far. If it breaks I’ll fix it.
With that attitude, you'll be fine. Sadly too many anxious n00bs are blindsided by the potential issues. You're happy and I hope you do have fun. The owner is the tRump of the eBike world.

My favorite troll will likely jump in, but I was the first support fella at Luna. I did thousands of emails and text responses and saw firsthand the issues. If you accept that the reliability and build will have issues and are willing to pay the toll it's all good.
I expect that sooner or later there will be issues that pound us with more regulations. FFS buy a SurRon or electric MC. Ramping up power without better brakes is an accident waiting to happen.
When you buy a bike like this you have to be realistic. Pushing this much power through bicycle parts s*it will break. If it does I’ll fix it. The brakes that came on this bike I wouldn’t trust with a 750w BBSHD let alone a Ludi V2 motor.

I am totally lost by this conversation. I know Luna has issues with quality and customer service but that seems to be par for the course with the Ebike world. On the other hand he has been the first to put out some really high powered cool bikes. I have an acquaintance with an Apollo and he is super happy and at the time it was the only thing like it That is why I really appreciate Pushkar. Not only is he on the cutting edge of what can be done with an E bike but He has always been there for questions etc.

I am totally lost by this conversation. I know Luna has issues with quality and customer service but that seems to be par for the course with the Ebike world. On the other hand he has been the first to put out some really high powered cool bikes. I have an acquaintance with an Apollo and he is super happy and at the time it was the only thing like it That is why I really appreciate Pushkar. Not only is he on the cutting edge of what can be done with an E bike but He has always been there for questions etc.
All good. They are the wild ones and generally serve customers wanting high power eBikes and scooters. They have voracious supporters and avid detractors. You’ll find a majority here are more sedate and perhaps even a bit conservative about top speeds.
While WattWagon also sells fast eBikes theirs are much improved over Apollo and the bikes sold by Apollo’s creator. WattWagons support leaves most in the dust when comparing customer service and support.
I wouldn’t hesitate buying sWattWagon, knowing I’m in capable hands.
I’m more interested in staying within the Federal guidelines.

I wasn’t complaining against Luna. I’m a big supporter of them and love their bikes. I’ve been wanting one for a long time so when this bike came available I jumped on it. The bike is awesome and the equipment it came with is in line with the price point. It needed a few upgrades but now it’s complete and the performance is way beyond what I expected. With a bike from Watt Wagons no upgrades will be needed as everything is already thought out and tested.

View attachment 84177
View attachment 84178

Posting this with Pushkar’s permission.

Finally got my Luna Super Banana V2 done and went on its first ride. I’ll just refer to the bike as “Buzzraw” because I’m not a fan of Luna’s name. My intention with this post is to give a review of the bike and purchase process with Luna and how, in some ways, the process compares to Watt Wagons specifically the Hydra.

The bike is a Coast Cycles Buzzraw X that has a Luna Ludicrous V2 BBSHD and a 52V 18AH Dire Wolf Battery. Peak wattage is a claimed 4000w with 2500w continuous. Even more power is supposed to be available with a 72V battery. Luna did an outstanding job packaging and protecting the bike during shipping. The box it comes in is made to look like it’s a big screen TV vs a bike. Sneaky but it must work because there wasn’t a mark on the bike when I unpacked it. Assembly was flawless and everything worked as it should unlike some other bikes I bought that needed adjustments before riding. Performance wise this thing is stupid fast. Grab a handful of throttle in any of the taller gears and you will end up on the pavement on your back wondering what just happened. My attempt at a top speed run was cut short because I ran out of road and courage. The display read 43 mph and that’s just insane on this little bike. It definitely doesn’t need any more power!

So now my beefs and this is where the difference between Luna and what I’m getting with the Hydra will show. This isn’t a knock or complaint against Luna but all they did was install their motor and battery in the bike. Nothing was done to handle the power this bike makes. Basic SRAM 8 speed setup, cable brakes with 180mm rotors, no upgrades inside the motor like their Peek or steel gears. These are basic off the shelf components and are NOT designed to take this kind of power. Now, like I said I’m not complaining against Luna. It’s basically reflected in the price as to what your getting.

On my own after the purchase I upgraded the brakes to Magura MT5 eStop brakes with 220mm rotors front and rear. I installed Luna’s Peek gear for the BBSHD as the stock nylon gear was doomed at the start. I changed out the tires from street slicks to Coasts AT1 which is a more durable tire. The stock Bafang crank arms sucked so I added Lekkie Buzzbar 160’s. My next project is to strengthen the running gear, ie chain, hub, cassette etc. This is why I was asking questions about DT Swiss hubs and hub durability. Lastly the shocks will be upgraded to Fox Racing shocks as the stock ones suck. I’ve spent a lot of time and money upgrading stuff on the bike to get it to be safe to ride.

So how does this compare or have anything to do with Watt Wagons and the Hydra. A lot actually and it shows what your getting with the Hydra. Both bikes have similar power but the Hydra is a complete bike, meaning every part on it has been thought out and tested. I know when the bike does finally get here the only thing I’ll need to do to it before riding is cut the steerer tube to my liking. That’s it, charge it up and ride. Won’t have to mess with the brakes, tires, chain, cassette, hub etc. Yes I know the Hydra is more expensive initially but when you factor in what I had to change on the Buzzraw they are very close in total cost.

So, now that I made what I intended to be a short post into a novel, I’ll just say I love the Buzzraw for its brute speed and power but I can’t wait for my Hydra to get here as I know it will be unique and very special.
Nice Ebike, is it a comfortable ride?

What the hell are yall even talking about here jesus its like I understand but I dont understand at the same time.

Anyways sweet lookin ride...

Nice Ebike, is it a comfortable ride?
Surprisingly yes! I thought pedaling it would be uncomfortable but it’s not. I pedaled it up two fairly steep hills no problem. What’s nice is you can stretch out on it due to the long seat. Plus the seat has a lot of padding and that with the FS makes it a plush ride.

Surprisingly yes! I thought pedaling it would be uncomfortable but it’s not. I pedaled it up two fairly steep hills no problem. What’s nice is you can stretch out on it due to the long seat. Plus the seat has a lot of padding and that with the FS makes it a plush ride.
So great for a nice Sunday ride, but if you encounter any hills you fly up them passing all the analogs that are on the struggle bus on there way to the top.:D

Back