Review: New LMT'D - new owner's perspective

Super important point I forgot to make. The iPhone really picks up the motor noise (I’ll edit that post to let others know). In real life it’s WAY quieter.

Picture of my bike from today:

View attachment 60478
Have to say the color looks pretty good in that picture, it seems like every time I see a different picture of the LMT'D The color looks a little different

The color looks good to me also, and it's nice to have something other than black or dark gray.

I've known that the LMT'D and 700 both come with 2.4" wide tires. The 700 review says it has 33 mm outer rim width wheels vs 25 mm on the 500. Despite sharing the same size tires, the LMT'D rims look like they may be more narrow and lighter than the 700 series. What is the outer rim (or inner rim) width of the the LMT'D? I'm curious if you could put some 2.6", 2.8", or even 3" tires on the LMT'D with the included rims and have enough clearance between the tires and all parts of the bike. The 700 rims would support the larger tires, although I'm not sure if there additional clearance is there for all of those sizes on that bike, either. It's not that I would replace the tires right away with wider tires, but a wider tire might be something I would consider when a tire actually needs to be replaced.

Edit: Kevin from Ride1Up said the following on FB in reference to the 700, "I think you can get away with 2.8" max. Possibly 3", but I think 2.8" should be fine. That being said, these Schwalbe tires are pretty nice and decently expensive, I wouldn't waste em!"

Last edited:
@GenXrider I like your idea of having 2 different bikes with the same battery. In fact, companies like R1U should look into that more as that may be a good selling point where you can purchase a variety of their lineup and be able to have battery compatibility.

Maybe I should get the Core-5 first... and then get the LMT'd later because invariably someone in my household will want one once I get one. :)
The LMT'D and Core-5 could be a good combo in my case, but I'm far from a decision on that. I'm still not certain about the LMT'D vs. 700, but I'm leaning more away from the 500. I want to start with one bike before purchasing a second one. The experience with the first bike could lead me to choose a different secondary bike than I originally might have planned to get.

I was reviewing some youtube videos of the Core-5, and the guy who bought it said that in PAS 1, it wants to go "14 mph or north of there" (he weighs 250+ pounds), and some comments said the bike goes 18 mph in PAS 1, and they were not happy about it going that fast in the lowest assist. I wondered why they wouldn't just tweak the assist levels, but then I noticed the LCD display in the video was not the KD21C. I believe it's the APT LCD 500S, which is shown as the Core-5 manual on the Ride1Up "Owners Docs" page. A July video posted by Ride1Up shows the KD21C LCD display and the power settings that can be adjusted for each assist level. The video states it is for the 500 and Core-5, which share the display. The product page for the Core-5 also showsthe KD21C display, so those earlier adopters of the Core-5 are apparently stuck with the older APT LCD 500S display and an overly ambitious PAS 1, although maybe they can buy the newer KD21C LCD to get those features.

Last edited:
Checking the stats on three 750 watt motor bikes I'm looking at the LMT'D has a 22 amp controller. The Dost Kope and the Juice Crosscurrent X use a 25 amp controller. Amps = Watts divided by volts. Since we know the volts and amps we can figure watts. LMT'D 1056 watt, Dost Kope 1200 watt and Crosscurrent X which is a 52 volt system is 1300 watts. I really don't know if this has any bearing on performance but I would assume since the LMT'D is priced significantly lower then the other two it might be a cost saving measure by the manufacturer. I'm not an electrical engineer so I not sure what bearing this would have on performance and long term reliability. Was just curious. I read:

Volts: Used to describe how fast electrons move, more voltage = more speed !

Amps: How wide the road is, more lanes, more cars can pass at the same time side by side...

Watts: The combination of Volts and Amps ( Volts X Amps = Watts )

Checking the stats on three 750 watt motor bikes I'm looking at the LMT'D has a 22 amp controller. The Dost Kope and the Juice Crosscurrent X use a 25 amp controller. Amps = Watts divided by volts. Since we know the volts and amps we can figure watts. LMT'D 1056 watt, Dost Kope 1200 watt and Crosscurrent X which is a 52 volt system is 1300 watts. I really don't know if this has any bearing on performance but I would assume since the LMT'D is priced significantly lower then the other two it might be a cost saving measure by the manufacturer. I'm not an electrical engineer so I not sure what bearing this would have on performance and long term reliability. Was just curious. I read:
You will get more power from the Juiced when driving the motor above the nominal rating. One advantage of the 52V battery is the the power doesn't drop off as quickly when the battery gets low as when using a 48V battery. I know this has been discussed in other threads.

Volts: Used to describe how fast electrons move, more voltage = more speed !

Amps: How wide the road is, more lanes, more cars can pass at the same time side by side...
I don't know where those came from and hate to go off on a tangent, but those definitions are just wrong. Electrons moving refers to current flow. The measurement of current flow is in "amps". Voltage is the electrical force, or potential difference between two points, whether or not there is any current flow.

How wide the road is and how easily cars can pass sounds like a metaphor for resistance, which is measured in ohms. That's not amps.

In a circuit, these things are related. Ohm's law: Volts = Amps X Ohms (V = IR). So, also I = V/R and R= V/I.

Last edited:
The LMT'D product info says it has 13g spokes. The 500, 700, and Core-5 have 13g on the front and larger 12g spokes on the rear wheel. This is a little bit of concern if the LMT'D does indeed have smaller spokes on the rear wheel than their other bikes.

The LMT'D product info says it has 13g spokes. The 500, 700, and Core-5 have 13g on the front and larger 12g spokes on the rear wheel. This is a little bit of concern if the LMT'D does indeed have smaller spokes on the rear wheel than their other bikes.

Looks like a few updates to the 2nd gen

As mentioned,
- New display
- New software/controller (I’m using)

A few more things,
- Frame grommet for cables
- Kickstand location

Awesome!

0DACCF7E-2AD4-4174-B990-0C5BD6374759.jpeg

91E279F0-8BE9-41CB-90AF-87A64B9B3B15.jpeg

This is great news. They are listening to customers complaints and improving their product. I have been reading complaints on the forum of Rize and Juiced making me wary of taking a gamble on getting a product with problems from the get go. My friend purchased a Dost Drop and from receiving the packaging to performance and use it has been a very good product. Only problem is it is $1000.00 more then the LMT'D. I was fortunate when I purchased my EGlide ST in 2017 that I have not had a problem with it in over three years and 7000 miles. Thanks for all the info you have been sharing Lumpydog!

The throttle didn't function as a boost in all assist levels before? Seems odd. Well, glad they fixed it.

I honestly didn't notice on the old controller/software - on the new controller that R1Up sent me, just tested tonight. I can confirm that the throttle works on all assist levels.

@Lumpydog super glad to hear they made these changes! The LMT'D was going to be my first ebike, but when I saw your videos and reports, I bailed out and ended up getting a Haibike. It's always the inherent risk being the early adopter of a product, and good for you for sticking with it.

Might be fun to grab one of these as a second bike or get one and compare it to the Haibike.

My next bike was going to be the new Yamaha eMTB that was announced today, but now that I've seen these updates, the LMT'D might take priority just for fun.

@GenXrider Dude, I've seen you all over the forum literally agonizing over which bike to get, and your potential date of ownership keeps getting pushed further and further out. Don't let analysis paralysis take over! As the saying goes, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Based on all your posts, I really do think you'd like the LMT'D. Just pull the trigger and don't look back or second guess yourself. You're going to drive yourself insane lol.

The LMT'D and Core-5 ship dates changed from Sept. 5 to Sept. 10. The 700 XR is still Sept. 15. I'm tempted to order one and am leaning toward the LMT'D due to the torque sensor based PAS (with new controller), lighter weight, and more powerful motor.

@GenXrider Dude, I've seen you all over the forum literally agonizing over which bike to get, and your potential date of ownership keeps getting pushed further and further out. Don't let analysis paralysis take over! As the saying goes, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. Based on all your posts, I really do think you'd like the LMT'D. Just pull the trigger and don't look back or second guess yourself. You're going to drive yourself insane lol.

Well said

The LMT'D and Core-5 ship dates changed from Sept. 5 to Sept. 10. The 700 XR is still Sept. 15. I'm tempted to order one and am leaning toward the LMT'D due to the torque sensor based PAS (with new controller), lighter weight, and more powerful motor.
I second the "do not worry about delivery" comments. We ordered two bikes from two different companies in May. To be delivered in June. We got both of them in July. Worth the wait.

@Lumpydog super glad to hear they made these changes! The LMT'D was going to be my first ebike, but when I saw your videos and reports, I bailed out and ended up getting a Haibike. It's always the inherent risk being the early adopter of a product, and good for you for sticking with it.

Might be fun to grab one of these as a second bike or get one and compare it to the Haibike.

My next bike was going to be the new Yamaha eMTB that was announced today, but now that I've seen these updates, the LMT'D might take priority just for fun.

The more I ride on the new controller, the more I get how nice this bike's setup is. I was on PAS level 9 today and could tip-toe around at 4 mph easily for as long as I wanted and then apply real pedal input and get up to close to 30 mph in a hurry. It's so so so much smoother/natural than the original controller/software - night and day. I'm really looking forward to hearing reports from owners of the next batch.

I second the "do not worry about delivery" comments. We ordered two bikes from two different companies in May. To be delivered in June. We got both of them in July. Worth the wait.
That would be even worse for me. The number of good weather riding days starts to diminish in Sept. and very quickly in October in my area.

Yeah, I know. I'm analyzing my next move now. lol I had made my decision once to buy a 500 and backed out because I saw the shipment date jumped another 20 days out when I went to order, then I got distracted by the Espin Nero early bird for a while. Now, I'm down to the 700 vs. LMT'D, leaning toward the LMT'D. So, if I'm going to buy an e-bike to ride this year, it's going to be very soon. I'm still riding my standard bike daily in the meantime.

Yeah, I know. I'm analyzing my next move now. lol I had made my decision once to buy a 500 and backed out because I saw the shipment date jumped another 20 days out when I went to order, then I got distracted by the Espin Nero early bird for a while. Now, I'm down to the 700 vs. LMT'D, leaning toward the LMT'D. So, if I'm going to buy an e-bike to ride this year, it's going to be very soon. I'm still riding my standard bike daily in the meantime.

Jim - just do it. Riding a standard bike is like walking with lead shoes. Life is too short. Bike farther, faster. Smile more, analyze less. Be outside. Stop over-thinking it amigo.

My Dapu 500 watt hub motor has served me well. Has been very reliable and has taken me on many long adventures. There are a few hills on River Mountains Loop trail by Lake Mead that it struggles with. That is were this 750 watt will shine. Also top end while pedaling is around 22 mph and it would be interesting to exceed that when needed. My last bike I didn't pay tax on the purchase. Buying from CA and shipped to another state. The Dost Drop is Canadian and there was no tax for my friends purchase also. Looks like I wont get around that this time.

Jim - just do it. Riding a standard bike is like walking with lead shoes. Life is too short. Bike farther, faster. Smile more, analyze less. Be outside. Stop over-thinking it amigo.
Jim?? My name's not Jim. lol Anyway, I actually enjoy riding my standard bike and getting exercise until I get to the big hills. But the old knee isn't getting any younger.

I found out the shipment delay is actually delayed for previous orders as well, so it wouldn't have mattered if I had ordered before the website was changed to the new shipment date.

Back