Retirement gift to self? Superdelite! Some questions…

albyrne

Hi folks, I’m looking at making the transition from a commuter-style ebike (FWIW: Lekker e-Amsterdam) to something more suitable for ventures down some dirt. As a gentleman of a certain age, recently retired, I’m not intending to throw myself off any table top jumps or hurtle down the side of any mountains, but the ability to comfortably handle tracks more challenging than plain old pavement has me thinking of something more versatile than my current ride. New bike will need to be comfortable (ie: full suspension) and low maintenance/high quality. I live less than 1km from the ocean, so a humid and salty atmosphere is the norm. I've owned two different belt-drive motorcycles in the past, and I’m definitely a convert to the belt. Long range would be great.

After considerable research over recent months, it’s looking pretty much like a no-brainer: I’m going to treat myself to a Superdelite GX Rolhoff. But first, I’d love to pick the collective brains here...

Me: 58y M, 187cm (just under 6’1"), 95kg (210lb), with 845mm (33.5in) inseam. In generally fairly good health, but I still suffer somewhat from a long-ago neck injury that means I can’t deal with the 'boy-racer’ cycling position, and definitely prefer a fairly upright, relaxed, posture.

Sizing. I can see on the R-M website that the 56cm large frame Delite/Superdelite is supposedly suitable for riders of heights 180-200cm, so I’m at the low end of that range, while the 51cm medium frame is sized for riders 170-185cm, with me just over the top end of that range. I’d definitely specify the Fox suspenson upgrade, so I understand that would push me up by about an additional 2cm. My current bike is, frankly, a little large for me, leaving me uncomfortable at stop lights, etc (I didn’t help myself by adding a Thudbuster ST, desperately trying to save my aging ass, and therefore can’t lower the seat height to what is really needed) so I’m paranoid about ending up with a bike that’s too large. My question: with my fairly long legs, is the medium sized frame going to give me enough room between seat and bottom of pedal stroke? I realise that a test ride is really the only way to figure this out for sure, but dealer is about 2.5 hours distant, and, anyway, non-essential travel is still ruled out in my state (but may relax in a week or two). I’m hopeful that someone out there has dealt with a rider of similar size, and can offer advice.

Display. Here on the forums I’ve read some, ahem, ‘interesting’ views on the Kiox display. My original intention had been to specify the Kiox, as it would give me the height adjustable stem - a very welcome bonus. I’d love to know how much extra height can actually be achieved by setting that adjustable stem at maximum height, if anyone can help out with maybe a photo?

I’ve recently discovered this: https://octagoncycles.com. I’ve since found a few different variations on the theme, so these are a thing. Does fitting an adjustable rise stem such as this with the standard Intuvia display (if it's possible) perhaps give me a better resolution to my need for upright riding position? If Intuvia displays current gear selection for E-14 (neither the Rolhoff manual or the display manual makes this clear), the Intuvia display would be fine I guess? Eager to hear any advice.

Have a great cycling day...

Last edited:
We have recently taken delivery of a small Homage GT HS and a medium Super Delight GT HS. I chose the GT for three reasons, in order of importance, shifting quality, weight and cost. So far very happy with that decision. Chain maintenance isn't a burden for me and I don't ride in really crappy environments. I am a bit shorter than you 5'10" and a bit lighter but I am quite comfortable on the Med Super Delight. I have made no handlebar adjustments yet, waiting to see how we get along. On my last bike I switched to 2.5" rise Jones H bar and Body Float with great improvement in comfort and positioning but I am not sure that this bike will require that. I think the full suspension unloads my low back and there is trade off there in terms of comfort that may accommodate the slightly more forward positioning of the Delight. Time will tell. I have found the full suspension learning curve interesting, keeping the suspension high enough to avoid pedal strikes while still being able to comfortably touch down at stop. To that end I am glad I did not opt for the Fox upgrade. The bike is tall enough for me as is and i don't ride single track, just potholes. Its a brilliant, (if heavy) ride. I got the optional battery cover and will often ride with only one battery installed is I don't need the additional watt hours, the weight reduction is welcome. The battery management system seems well programmed to adjust. Good riding to you, you won't be disappointed.

I'm just under 6'1" and weigh in at 205lbs. with a 32" inseam. I have a 2018 Delight Mountain with derailleur and Fox upgrade, CX motor that has been derestricted with a Bikespeed RX and dual batteries. I have the medium frame which I believe was listed as 54"cm at the time. It has a dropper post which I use all the time, at every stop, whether getting off the bike or not. This allows me to wait at lights sitting on the saddle with both feet flat on the ground. The first stroke starting back up, I stand on the pedal, push the lever and it pops up to meet my kiester. I added an adjustable angle stem to dial in the just right riding posture.

The bike is a perfect fit for me and my son, who is 6'5" loves to ride the bike as does my best buddy who is 5'8". I also own a 2019 Homage Rohloff HS which is a heavier bike with a more upright ride position and a Trek Allant+9.9s. I love all three bikes for different reasons but if I had to keep only one, the Delight gets the nod due to its comfort and versatility in nearly all situations.

I've not ridden a SuperDelight but I suspect I would end up on the medium frame version. The Germans build their large bikes to fit people larger than you and me.

At a shade under 5’10” and 90kg with approx 31” inside leg, I find a small frame Super Delite GX with fox suspension just fine

I understand the 2cm increase in height is from the GX option with IncreSed 140mm travel from 100mm travel.

The Fox suspension in itself does not lift the bike height.

I year ride various other bikes and the medium frame was fine, but I preferred the small frame.

I cannot overstate how great the dropper seat post is ! ( It does reduce very slightly how low the saddle can go)

From what you have written then the GX option which raises the crank height and adds the dropper post really is great, I’d suggest the medium frame is probably going to be good. The large frame would also probably work but at the expense of being a bit more work of reaching the ground as easily.

I have a superdelite rohloff with fox suspension and kiox display (non GX). I am 6'2 with a 34 inseam (68 yrs). My initial thoughts were for the medium frame but the shop I purchased from suggested the large frame (given my measurements). Believe it or not, I never test road the bike - do I have regrets for not test riding? Absolutely not! What a great bike! Quality is great and I just love to keep riding and getting a great workout. I have put on 1,200 km since early April. I find the Kiox display great with lots of information and it is very easy to read in all conditions. Given your height, I suspect the medium frame will work best for you.

See this thread, make sure you get the latest version that can accept the larger battery.

@Scott Eakin, @Alaskan, and @HariSeldon, many thanks for your input re: sizing. Pending a test ride, I'm inclined to think that the 51cm frame size (medium) would work OK for me.

You're probably right about the frame size for you. But for such a substantial purchase, I would be inclined to drive the 2.5 hours each way before I committed myself to the purchase. Just a few days ago I placed my order for the Superdelite Rohloff HS with 1125 Wh batteries, Kiox, Fox upgrade, and GX option, medium frame size. I did several test rides of different models. I'm 5' 10", 68-yo in surprisingly great shape, and I am enjoying this R&M forum immensely. Really looking forward to my new Superdelite!

You will probably be fine if you purchase without a test ride, but then again you could end up fine-tuning something by trying the bike. Good luck!

@John2911, yes, now that travel restrictions are easing here, I’ll be making a call to check what bikes/sizes they have as testers.

You’ve ordered exactly the same configuration that I’m leaning towards. Can I ask what your inside leg measurement is?

A.

@John2911, yes, now that travel restrictions are easing here, I’ll be making a call to check what bikes/sizes they have as testers.

You’ve ordered exactly the same configuration that I’m leaning towards. Can I ask what your inside leg measurement is?

A.
30 inch inseam. 175 pounds. And one more thought for you: I tried the same Superdelite model with Rohloff and with GT chain derailleur. The GT was admittedly more responsive and sporty. The Rohloff feels sluggish by comparison, but that may be a matter of mastering it, perhaps learning to instinctively anticipate changing gears sooner. But the wide gear range is there, and I could fly through the full range of 14 electronic gears (individually or 3 or more at a time) much faster than with a derailleur, though each gear engagement takes a bit longer than a derailleur. I got a sense that the Rohloff will take some getting used to. But I’m looking forward to the clean belt and lower maintenance.

Back