Retired and 75, should I get an ebike?

kitchenangel

Region
USA
I've ridden an ebike around the block at a bike store while waiting to get a repair on my 35 year old bike. I would like to ride more but I have trouble with the hills in the Atlanta area. My knees are getting old but riding a bike is supposed to strengthen the muscles. I weigh about 145.

I loved my trip around block...it was exciting and there was a little hill that was amazingly easy for me. I think I would ride longer and farther on a ebike. I have no idea what I need and would appreciate some help.

It helps to tell us more about your budget, height, bike shops you trust, etc.
If you enjoyed the ebike you test rode, tell us more about it.

If you buy an ebike I suspect, like many others on this forum have done, you'll ride more often and for longer distances.
It's easy to get a decent workout on an ebike-just keep the power level on a low setting. I find I still ride up most hills (unless they're really steep) in my lowest setting (eco mode), just to get more of a workout.

Cycling opens a world not seen in any other way. I love the sights and scents of the different seasons; the views of parkland, forests and cityscapes. The explosion of scents in the spring of spruce and hemlock along forest trails. The smell of leaves and earth in autumn. Even the scent of manure on the farm fields in late winter. When I smell the fields, I know the warm spring is right around the corner.

Expand your horizons, there's no time to waste. More miles equals more fun, we only go around once. Best of luck.

Giant makes a line of bikes for short people with big wheels, LIV. Big wheels smooth out the bumps.
For sure don't buy a bike you can't put both toes on the ground, while still being almost to straighten your leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke. 16" & 17" frames, mostly.
Magnum Ui5 & Ui6 are inexpensive and 17" frame. The geared hub motor doesn't drag unpowered if you get strong enough to pedal yourself. There are dealers to handle the deadly "my bike won't work" problem.

I've ridden an ebike around the block at a bike store while waiting to get a repair on my 35 year old bike. I would like to ride more but I have trouble with the hills in the Atlanta area. My knees are getting old but riding a bike is supposed to strengthen the muscles. I weigh about 145.

I loved my trip around block...it was exciting and there was a little hill that was amazingly easy for me. I think I would ride longer and farther on a ebike. I have no idea what I need and would appreciate some help.
Administer yourself some self-help here on this website, in the form of reading, reading, and reading some more the bike reviews and all the other useful information on which ebikes would be the most beneficial to you.

Don't be lazy and just ask for opinions. Read first and then you will have some informed questions to ask.

There is a wealth of info here--use it!

Giant makes a line of bikes for short people with big wheels, LIV. Big wheels smooth out the bumps.
For sure don't buy a bike you can't put both toes on the ground, while still being almost to straighten your leg at the bottom of the pedal stroke. 16" & 17" frames, mostly.
Magnum Ui5 & Ui6 are inexpensive and 17" frame. The geared hub motor doesn't drag unpowered if you get strong enough to pedal yourself. There are dealers to handle the deadly "my bike won't work" problem.
Another vote to check out the Liv (and Momentum) lines. These are made by Giant and carried by Giant dealers.

I really like the info I just read and watched about the Giant La Free E+2. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that there is no way to plug in the battery in the house. I like that you can adjust the handlebars...I like to sit up tall when I ride as I have a crushed 1st lumbar in my back. Also I could get a suspension seat post. Does that make much difference? I thought with hills, I would need a throttle but this bike does not have one.

This is a very helpful site. Thank you for all your efforts.

Yet another vote for the Giant stuff. But whatever you get, get something! You will find an entire new arena to exist in, and a new or renewed identity as a cyclist.

I got into this in August of 2016 and have racked up about 13,000 miles since... turning 70 this summer. We have plently of other people, of both sexes, with similar stories. The mileage some of these people now pile up - with big smiles on their faces - is astounding. 75 is by no means the top end of this crew.

I would recommend a fat tire e-bike! Nothing in any way will hinder your riding on the pavement with the fat tires, and you can ride it off-road too. I purchased my first e-bike last Sept, it was a mountain bike, rode it for a few months and everyone said I should go with the fat-tire, I sold the 1st and bought a FAT TIRE ebike. Look at Bolton's collections of fat-tire bikes. I am 76 and have a broken back from my service in Vietnam. Good Luck with your purchase.

I really like the info I just read and watched about the Giant La Free E+2. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that there is no way to plug in the battery in the house. I like that you can adjust the handlebars...I like to sit up tall when I ride as I have a crushed 1st lumbar in my back. Also I could get a suspension seat post. Does that make much difference? I thought with hills, I would need a throttle but this bike does not have one.

This is a very helpful site. Thank you for all your efforts.
I have a La Free, and my battery comes off so I can charge it anywhere!

Did that change once the bike became Momentum???

I hear ya; my knees be shot to hell. Riding is easier than walking. At your weight, you could easily get
by with a Rad Mission or Ride1up roadster. They are simpler to maintain than more costly bikes. The
mission has more power if a bit less asthetically pleasing. I´m big & need more gearing options. The
Ride1up roadster is very light for an ebike (32 pds.), but you might want more for power on hills. Check
the videos on both at utube. I just restored my 37 yr. old Univega, having failed an attempt to convert
to an ebike.(still good for short grocery runs or as a bus bike)

I would recommend a fat tire e-bike! Nothing in any way will hinder your riding on the pavement with the fat tires, and you can ride it off-road too. I purchased my first e-bike last Sept, it was a mountain bike, rode it for a few months and everyone said I should go with the fat-tire, I sold the 1st and bought a FAT TIRE ebike. Look at Bolton's collections of fat-tire bikes. I am 76 and have a broken back from my service in Vietnam. Good Luck with your purchase.
Original Poster: We have to lift these things from time to time. Think about weight. Seriously.

I would recommend the Lectric XP, which is a folding, fat tire, 20 inch bike which comes in a regular frame and a step thru model which would be prefect for someone of . . . . shorter stature. Handlebars and frame both fold and many store them in a Walmart 38 gallon tub, which can be hauled in the trunk of a car or the back of a van if you want/need to ride farther from home. Battery lasts at least 20 miles, even if you don't pedal at all, but farther if you do. Price is $899 with free shipping. I've had mine for nearly a year (I'm 74) and I LOVE it - The handlebars are fully adjustable and I have the suspension seatpost, which is a real winner, especially if you take the time to properly adjust it for your weight. True, there are loads of other, better ebikes, but what you get with the XP is pretty amazing for only $899

Don

I think if the $ support it the Giant is a great value. My next will be an Explore I think. That said, the Lectric or Ecotric is a way to get, my 15 month opinion, a great value for the money. My wife loves her 20" Ecotric Dolphin Folder ( step thru, shes 5'4). You can get the Ecotric via Wallmart and as HarryS pointed out, it makes the return process ( 30 day trial) much simpler if its not up to the task. I do know that we ride every week and don't even feel a 15 to 20 mile jaunt.

You have already received a lot of good information and will likely get more. Keep in mind though that a bike is a very personal piece of equipment. What works for some, may not for all. The best bike is the one YOU like and the one that works for you!

There is no question you will ride more often and travel further than you were previously able. By all means, listen to the advice you get here but make your own choice. TEST RIDE as many bikes as you can! I know it's easy to say this and e-bike dealers with bikes to test are often few and far between. Do what I had to do and travel to find these bike shops. I took several overnight trips to do this when I was bike shopping. My wife and I made an "adventure" out of these trips and actually had fun doing it!

I hesitate to recommend specific brands but since you have joint issues, I would consider getting a bike with a step thru frame. You may be able to swing your leg over a high bar bike now but this can change. E-bikes are expensive and you'll want to use it for the foreseeable future.

You may not be able to find a bike that meets all your wants & needs. Just like conventional bikes, parts like saddles, seat posts, handlebars & tires can be changed to better suit your riding style.

Talk to the good folks at the local bike shops you visit. Sure, they want to sell you their brand but most are professionals and are a good source of information.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

Back