Report of my first 2000 miles on my ebike

ebikemom

I just hit 2000 miles on my beautiful ebike. Wow! I never thought I'd ride my ebike so much. But, I do. It's awesome! :)

Some things I've learned ....

• Commuting on an ebike is a lot of fun.
  • I can put my chain back on when it falls off... the key is turning the bike upside down, which isn't difficult, and having it in a low gear. After that, easy peasy!
  • Errands are much more enjoyable on an ebike than in a car.
  • Recreational rides on an ebike? Count me in!
  • Family ebike cycling vacation? Wow! What fun! Best budget family vacation ever!
  • ebiking gets me more exercise than I ever wanted to get before.
  • It's great having local dealer support. With four ebikes in the family, we've needed it (one bike has had more issues than the other three). Being able to get a loaner is awesome!
  • Also great was finding a local bike tech who is closer by than the dealer and open-minded about ebikes. Nice to have someone within walking distance of home (I feel very lucky on that score!) for bike-related non-warranty stuff.
  • My ebike is rear-heavy, which has presented no problems in riding or using the bike. However, I have learned that I need to avoid one-arm lifts of the bike's rear end. Turning the bike upside-down to do basic maintenance isn't difficult for me because that's a two-handed lift. Where I've strained my arm is in doing one-handed lifting. I can avoid that by using more "3-point" style turns when putting the bike away in the garage, for example. I also need to remember to use good lifting practices, and then I don't hurt myself.
Some things I look forward to ...
  • MORE people ebiking in MORE places so we can have BETTER cycling infrastructure in our urban/suburban areas.
  • Learning how to manage in rain. I don't want to give up ebiking all winter.
  • Learning more technical skills related to maintaining my bike--changing/patching tires, in particular.
  • Leading group rides in my area.

Wipe the chain after each ride if you can. It prevents dust and dirt from sticking to the chain. It also keeps your hand clean when putting back a dropped chain.

Congrats. Agree with all your points!

I'm at 3,475 miles (screen shot attached from cobi-bike controller for my Haibike (Bosch Performance Line) Trekking R SX.

No issues with the motor or electrics. Rode through plenty of rain storms. Maintenance items so far carried out by my local e-bike shop, not including labor cost, below:

- New chain $50, rear sprocket $56 and front chain ring ($21).
- New brake pads front and rear $50 - think I can do better on this.

For those of us with mid-drives, the chains are tortured a lot more than those with hub drives. Especially if your commute is hilly and Turbo mode is your go to solution. The chains are e-bike specific.

Two punctures fixed on the side of the road. First one, I put my bike upside down and then watched a nice video from Trek on YouTube to remind myself how to do it. Been 20 years! After the first one, I now carry latex gloves and a cover for my saddle to protect it when I turn it up side down.

Just be safe out there please:

Attachments

• Cobi.bike_3475[1].jpg
    Cobi.bike_3475[1].jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 309
Congrats. Agree with all your points!

I'm at 3,475 miles (screen shot attached from cobi-bike controller for my Haibike (Bosch Performance Line) Trekking R SX.

No issues with the motor or electrics. Rode through plenty of rain storms. Maintenance items so far carried out by my local e-bike shop, not including labor cost, below:

- New chain $50, rear sprocket $56 and front chain ring ($21).
- New brake pads front and rear $50 - think I can do better on this.

For those of us with mid-drives, the chains are tortured a lot more than those with hub drives. Especially if your commute is hilly and Turbo mode is your go to solution. The chains are e-bike specific.

Two punctures fixed on the side of the road. First one, I put my bike upside down and then watched a nice video from Trek on YouTube to remind myself how to do it. Been 20 years! After the first one, I now carry latex gloves and a cover for my saddle to protect it when I turn it up side down.

Just be safe out there please:

The brake pads themselves can be a bit price, so $50 to install seems reasonable. And maybe the bled them too. That said, installing new pads isn't difficult. I can't speak to bleeding bike brakes since I've not attempted it.

Only 2 flats in 3500 miles is really good! I guess e-bike tires are a lot tougher than lightweight road bike tires. Or maybe it's 21st century tires are better than the ones from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

I have no flats in 2100 miles, but my son has two in 1000 miles ... so some of it is about LUCK, for sure! Maybe I keep my eye on the road surface a bit more carefully than he does, though--when I see sparkles, I go around them.

Back