Replacing stolen e-bike

eligri

Hey!

Just got my e-bike stolen. Yay....
Got 1000$ from insurance. Can add a few hundred bucks, if needed. Would love some suggestions on a decent bike, or a kit, or similar. If it's a kit, it can cost at the very most 900$ incl. battery.
Found this on on Banggood, looks solid.
https://www.banggood.com/SMLRO-XDC60...r_warehouse=CN

Also considering an old used mountainbike and putting a 750w bafang motor on it. Found this kit for that:

Any thoughts/input? :)
Thanks!

You might have a look at the Espin line of bikes.

That said, the BBS02 w/17.5ah battery at 817. in your link seems like a decent deal as well, if you were up for tracking down a donor bike with disk brakes and building an e-bike YOUR way....

The ad looks solid? Hard to judge supplier customer service from an ad. That's what I would be worried about. I'd only buy from someone in your country for support. I paid over $500 for my last 20Ah battery. Looks suspicious to me. Bet shipping is high?

Where are you located? I'd recommend local first but most don't usually have $1k bikes... then I'd go to more reputable online brands.

The ad looks solid? Hard to judge supplier customer service from an ad. That's what I would be worried about. I'd only buy from someone in your country for support. I paid over $500 for my last 20Ah battery. Looks suspicious to me. Bet shipping is high?
Free shipping :) Customer service isn't a big deal for me, I'm quite technical, so will fix 99% of the problems myself probably.

Local isn't really an option either. They are limited to 250w, or it costs 3k$+. Neither is an option.

Think Bafang or that finished kit is a better option?

I'll check out Espin, thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Espin is too expensive locally. 2000$+ only :(
EDIT 2: I'm located in Sweden

I'm a Bafang fan, and when building a bike, purchasing a complete kit like that assures that you aren't going to have to match up wiring on each component. They should all plug right in and be ready to go. Just bolt it all on a bike and you're set.

The BBSxx have customizable controller software using a 10.00 cable and a laptop. That's a HUGE draw here.

I would not use a donor bike that did not have dis brakes. Probably don't have to tell you e-bikes are heavy and fast, especially one powered by one of the big Bafang motors.

I'm a Bafang fan, and when building a bike, purchasing a complete kit like that assures that you aren't going to have to match up wiring on each component. They should all plug right in and be ready to go. Just bolt it all on a bike and you're set.

The BBSxx have customizable controller software using a 10.00 cable and a laptop. That's a HUGE draw here.

I would not use a donor bike that did not have dis brakes. Probably don't have to tell you e-bikes are heavy and fast, especially one powered by one of the big Bafang motors.
Yeah for sure. Last one had diskbreaks, will find another one that has that. Can't be too expensive if old and used.

Would you go Bafang motor and build, or the one I linked?

That one says 1000w Bafang motor. Is that really true?

Check out Lectric, they are the best bang for buck thats for sure.
Not really a huge fan of those scooter-looking bikes S: Too small tires, prefer 26"+.

Thanks for the tip though!

Tough call, buy or build. Like you, I could care less about "support" from the point I receive what I've paid for. I'll take it from that point myself....

I've gone both ways twice now (built 2, bought 2), and lately prefer to buy an inexpensive production bike that has good specs, and uses name brand components. From there, I'm into it cheap enough to take it in the direction I want - which is a powerful 50/50 on/off road hybrid.

Regarding the bike in your link, the picture is of a rear hub powered bike. They call it a 1000w Bafang at the top (I've never seen a 1000w Bafang hub drive), and a 500/800w in the specs. so there is clearly a mistake somewhere. That, and the bike is a 21 speed - which uses a front derailleur. That would need to be removed on my bike.

I've seen pretty good deals on aliexpress.com. Suggest you watch the shipping times and freight costs! -Al

Tough call, buy or build. Like you, I could care less about "support" from the point I receive what I've paid for. I'll take it from that point myself....

I've gone both ways twice now (built 2, bought 2), and lately prefer to buy an inexpensive production bike that has good specs, and uses name brand components. From there, I'm into it cheap enough to take it in the direction I want - which is a powerful 50/50 on/off road hybrid.

Regarding the bike in your link, the picture is of a rear hub powered bike. They call it a 1000w Bafang at the top (I've never seen a 1000w Bafang hub drive), and a 500/800w in the specs. so there is clearly a mistake somewhere. That, and the bike is a 21 speed - which uses a front derailleur. That would need to be removed on my bike.

I've seen pretty good deals on aliexpress.com. Suggest you watch the shipping times and freight costs! -Al

Here ya go. Kick in a few more bucks you get a full suspenion EMTB...

Last edited:
Found a lot of bikes for 600-1300$, but maybe they are completely lacking in quality?
For example this one for 500$, however shipping is 400+$ outside of Russia (free in russia). I assume it's complete junk?

Also saw this one, for roughly 1000$ with free shipping:
(Can't find exact retailer again, but it was from Spain and around 1000-1100$, exact same bike).

Re: your second link (I didn't bother with the first)-
Again, specs all over the ball park. No mention of the hub manf. only a claim that it's 1000w - which is not likely. Under the specifications tab - they claim the bike is folding. Unbelievable specs would have me moving on without further thought....

Re: your second link (I didn't bother with the first)-
Again, specs all over the ball park. No mention of the hub manf. only a claim that it's 1000w - which is not likely. Under the specifications tab - they claim the bike is folding. Unbelievable specs would have me moving on without further thought....
Here is same bike, but looks like a more professional spec page:

Show me where you think that bike might fold?
If you push hard enough perhaps ;)

Think that is just copy&pasted from the other bike they make that is foldable and rest is same. But maybe it's crappy electronics anyways?

Leaning more and more towards just getting a 750w bafang and building one myself.

How would a 750w bafang compare to a cheap 1000w hubdrive that I used to have?

This answer is going to depend. There are gear driven hubs, and direct drive hubs. MOST 1000w hubs are direct drive. Bafang makes only gear driven hubs. If 1000w direct drive hub performance is compared to 750w gear driven hub performance, and we are talking at speeds under 20mph, the gear driven hub is going to make the direct drive hub look pretty silly. From a stop, the direct drive is gutless compared to a gear drive.

You need to decide what type motor you want and go from there . I have two hub motor bikes and two mid drive bikes . The mids are much quieter and a lot more fun to ride .

Back