Full Suspension, Free Shippiing, no tax $1877.00

Thanks for offering these valuable insights to help prospective buyers.
Most people get enamored by the price but in the long term end up paying 2x more for repair, running around for parts etc.

Anyone who plans on riding 3000+ miles should consider these points before making a decision.

On the flip side, once folks learn something the hard way, it prepares them to think long term and not get enticed by low prices or sleek outer appearance.
Is this the case for the casual user though, which I assume are most people looking to buy chinese bikes?
Full suspension is quite nice even for just daily commute riding.

Is this the case for the casual user though, which I assume are most people looking to buy chinese bikes?
I have both and I personally would not pick FS for a commuter. I'd put a suspension seat post on a hard tail first.

When it comes to inexpensive bikes, you are not going to win a discussion or an endorsement with guys that have bicycle spokes circulating through their veins where you and I have blood. Where we may struggle with the jump required justifying the expense of a 2000 dollar bike, these guys have been riding long enough they're convinced that any bike that doesn't cost 5k can't possibly be "trail worthy".

While I often respect their opinions, I've become acclimated to the idea they have a completely different set of standards when it comes to my own needs regarding a bike that works just fine - for me. Very similar to the fact I'm fine with a Honda, where somebody else has no trouble with the idea of paying twice what one of my cars might cost for the same ability to get from point A to point B. -Al

I have both and I personally would not pick FS for a commuter. I'd put a suspension seat post on a hard tail first.
Having a hard time find any of those with a good motor, like a Bafang.
That one is 500w only, bit too low for commuting. Also USA based, so I'll get slapped with +35% on import.
Any similar models with larger motor (750-1000w bafang) and EU based?

Got 24h more of the 11.11 sale, so would like to buy a bike before that :)

Having a hard time find any of those with a good motor, like a Bafang.
That one is 500w only, bit too low for commuting. Also USA based, so I'll get slapped with +35% on import.
Any similar models with larger motor (750-1000w bafang) and EU based?

Got 24h more of the 11.11 sale, so would like to buy a bike before that :)
Could also get one of these, then just try to find an old mountainbike used.

Not sure if that's a better deal though, but it is about 1000$ cheaper.

Used for commuting only.

Do you think you might have a chance at finding a donor bike, hopefully one with disk brakes?

If I were on a tight budget, this would be an easy call for me - if I had a good donor bike available. For instance,
my first 2 builds started with brand new disc brake equipped Schwinn's from Walmart. They were about 200. apiece and worked really well. Don't forget to consider the room required to mount your battery. Confirm you're good to go there and the rest should be pretty easy. -Al

Do you think you might have a chance at finding a donor bike, hopefully one with disk brakes?

If I were on a tight budget, this would be an easy call for me - if I had a good donor bike available. For instance,
my first 2 builds started with brand new disc brake equipped Schwinn's from Walmart. They were about 200. apiece and worked really well. Don't forget to consider the room required to mount your battery. Confirm you're good to go there and the rest should be pretty easy. -Al

Could probably find a used bike for 300-500$. Basically I'm either getting a kit, or a bike with that same kit for 1000$ more?
Think that bike is worth 1000$, or is it cheap garbage?

Could probably find a used bike for 300-500$. Basically I'm either getting a kit, or a bike with that same kit for 1000$ more?
Think that bike is worth 1000$, or is it cheap garbage?
As can be seen by a few of the earlier replies, one man's junk is another man's treasure. This is a call you're going to need to make. We both know the motor is solid. You might go through the rest of the components one by one, judging each as you go. With no reputation to fall back on, that's the only way I know you might be able to make at least a semi informed call. From there it's a roll of the dice. -Al

As can be seen by a few of the earlier replies, one man's junk is another man's treasure. This is a call you're going to need to make. We both know the motor is solid. You might go through the rest of the components one by one, judging each as you go. With no reputation to fall back on, that's the only way I know you might be able to make at least a semi informed call. From there it's a roll of the dice. -Al
Was told this:
"the suntour fork is a bit meh (ok entry level, has adjustment/lockout), the rear shock is a poor one (no adjustment i can see, just squish), the drivetrain is low-end shimano but at least it's shimano"
Common thought was that it was a decent bike, but not really worth 1000$ for the frame compared to buying something used.

Think I'm going to have to pass on it, and go for a kit & make my own :)

What monitor would you guys suggest?
Thinking either: P850C New, 860C, DCP18

I just replaced the DCP18 display that came with my bike with a 750C. Reason being, I like the horizontal layout better, and it offers way better resolution when it comes to displaying watt usage. I use this for tuning, and monitor it constantly to see how much power I'm using. It's what I use to base what gear and PAS level to use.

The DPC was nearly impossible to tell the difference from readings under a 100 watts to 250 watts or more. Fine for many I'm sure, but I didn't care for it at all. 850C way better in that respect, but not as good as the 750C. That's me though..... -Al

Going for the motor kit btw, it seems better and most suggested it! :)

Ordered!
Went for the P850C New, and 48T :)

Last edited:

If you are a retired person with a lot of time on your hands, then by all means enjoy tinkering with E-bike stuff, upgrading it, modifying it, etc.

But, people have bridges to build, diseases to cure, students to teach, beaches to sit on. They just want a bike that is reliable, dependable and supported for many years. If you are that kind of person, you will be better off with a more established bike supplier or drive system. Let the people with time on their hands deal with Alibaba bikes, crowd-funded E-bikes.

Back