Replacing stolen e-bike

IF you are reasonable handy with maintenance then could you look for a lightly used ebike local, good in the knowledge that if it needed a few bits sorting in the coming months you could easily deal with it ?

Lectric XP could be an option but its a smaller bike overall than ones you linked to - at least you’d have some back up, and a few members here have modded them into a more bmx style ebike. Not much use if you want to attack gnarly mountain trails though

You need to decide what type motor you want and go from there . I have two hub motor bikes and two mid drive bikes . The mids are much quieter and a lot more fun to ride .
I agree on deciding which motor type, and the fact mid drives are great - but I can say my experience with the Bafang Ultra mid drive is that it is not the quietest drive I've had. Both the direct drives and the MAC geared hub are both quieter than the Ultra. That said, the Ultra isn't that bad, and it seems to be getting quieter - maybe breaking in a little.

This answer is going to depend. There are gear driven hubs, and direct drive hubs. MOST 1000w hubs are direct drive. Bafang makes only gear driven hubs. If 1000w direct drive hub performance is compared to 750w gear driven hub performance, and we are talking at speeds under 20mph, the gear driven hub is going to make the direct drive hub look pretty silly. From a stop, the direct drive is gutless compared to a gear drive.
My previous one went about 26mph (actual speed, not on paper). Think the Bafang 750w could do that as well?

Leaning more and more to just getting that motor. From what I can tell gear drive is far superior in almost all aspects.

Anybody with experience of good motors that could perhaps link me a suggested kit from the EU for around 800$ or lower? 750w, complete with battery :)
Found a lot of Bafang kits on Aliexpress from the EU, but really clueless as to which versions, screens, etc, I should take.

Perhaps this one?

48V 17.5Ah 860C that version I was thinking, but it's really just a guess... :p

Greenergy has been around a while and would probably be a good choice for a seller. They're big here stateside as an Amazon dealer.

BBS02B is commonly run at 1000w without issue, so if you're going to limit power to 750w (easily set with a programming cable and laptop), it should be bulletproof.

Displays are pretty subjective. My new bike came with a DPC18, and it's OK (turns the lights on and off automatically!), but my preference would be for a display that had more resolution when showing watts in use. With the DPC18, it's hard to see the difference between 100 and 250w for instance. The 850c would be much better, but all else being equal, my preference is the 750c. Set up kinda like a car with side by side speedo and tach. The fact it's a horizontal display makes it a little more stealthy as well. That's me though....

If you aren't in too big a hurry, I'd spend some more time looking for a complete bike myself. I know I've seen them in the range of your budget. -Al

I agree on deciding which motor type, and the fact mid drives are great - but I can say my experience with the Bafang Ultra mid drive is that it is not the quietest drive I've had. Both the direct drives and the MAC geared hub are both quieter than the Ultra. That said, the Ultra isn't that bad, and it seems to be getting quieter - maybe breaking in a little.
I was talking about the BBSHD , I have never ridden an Ultra or Mac .. The Bafang hubs are noisy compared to the BBSHD .

I was talking about the BBSHD , I have never ridden an Ultra or Mac .. The Bafang hubs are noisy compared to the BBSHD .
The later model mid drive Bafang drives, like the Ultra's and the 600's both use metal gears - making them noticeably noisier than the earlier BBSxx which has a nylon gear - that very few people are having any trouble with unless they are being abused (e.g. a constant diet of 2000+ watts)

Considering this one, although it is quite a bit over my budget.

Is it the best bang for the buck I can find here in europe, or you guys got better suggestions?

Thanks a lot everybody for the help :)

EDIT: Is this the same one but with a free alarm?

Both those bikes looked good until I saw the 12.8 ah battery. That's pretty small.... Maybe a 20 mile range, IF you're behaving yourself. I wouldn't go smaller than maybe 17.5ah - IF I couldn't afford a 19 or 20ah.

You're up into a pretty good budget at these prices. Check out the Frey line of bikes. They're pretty popular with a good reputation here stateside. I'd give you a link, but I suck at doing that for aliexpress.

Both those bikes looked good until I saw the 12.8 ah battery. That's pretty small.... Maybe a 20 mile range, IF you're behaving yourself. I wouldn't go smaller than maybe 17.5ah - IF I couldn't afford a 19 or 20ah.

You're up into a pretty good budget at these prices. Check out the Frey line of bikes. They're pretty popular with a good reputation here stateside. I'd give you a link, but I suck at doing that for aliexpress.
Well I have a second battery at 12ah or so. Lasted about 10 miles on my last bike. Planning on connecting it with a switch to hop between the batteries if one runs out :)

Also 20 miles would be fine for me, just use it to get back-and-forth to work/college. Around 8 miles each way, and can charge at both sides if needed.

Frey seems to only have this model and a very similar one that is remotely close to what I could imagine:

Is that one really better though? No rear suspension, and after import it will be about 300-400$ more ATLEAST

Well I have a second battery at 12ah or so. Lasted about 10 miles on my last bike. Planning on connecting it with a switch to hop between the batteries if one runs out :)

Also 20 miles would be fine for me, just use it to get back-and-forth to work/college. Around 8 miles each way, and can charge at both sides if needed.

Frey seems to only have this model and a very similar one that is remotely close to what I could imagine:

Is that one really better though? No rear suspension, and after import it will be about 300-400$ more ATLEAST
Look at the CC

Frey CC. It's an FS suspension bike, but the price increase is substantial.

Lol this forum and those 1000-2000$ price increases xD

I'm a student, I can't just shell out those figures casually :p

If we stick to a budget of that bike I linked or less, what would you suggest?

More shopping... 😄

I would not buy anything from anyone that couldn't even get their add right. That's me though.... -Al

More shopping... 😄

I would not buy anything from anyone that couldn't even get their add right. That's me though.... -Al
Saw this thread kinda recommending it?
Also seems like a bafang motor and very standard stuff. Except the bike that is, but that is a large portion of the cost.

EDIT: What did they get wrong btw? Couldn't see anything off on that one.

I was speaking of some of your previously posted links.
I've already stated Greenergy seems to be pretty solid and has a lot of customers stateside via Amazon.
If you think you can get away with that little battery, go for it!

I was speaking of some of your previously posted links.
I've already stated Greenergy seems to be pretty solid and has a lot of customers stateside via Amazon.
If you think you can get away with that little battery, go for it!
Awesome!

Yeah think so, if I hook up both batteries it will be around 20Ah :)

I'll order it on the 11th, a nice discount then! :D

For your application and distance you might look at DJ e-bikes, RadPower, Ride1Up, Espin. Many bikes they sell under $2000 or even $1500 would probably suit you well. Besides, good not to have too fancy of a bike to prevent theft. Ride1Up and Espin have newer designs.

For your application and distance you might look at DJ e-bikes, RadPower, Ride1Up, Espin. Many bikes they sell under $2000 or even $1500 would probably suit you well. Besides, good not to have too fancy of a bike to prevent theft. Ride1Up and Espin have newer designs.
Thumbs up to Espin 👍

Back