Full Suspension, Free Shippiing, no tax $1877.00

I know. I have the Frey CC on order but I cant get the Bulls or Trek Powerfly out of my memory!

Spend the extra money and get the Powerfly or Bull. Nothing worst than buying a bike and later wishing you had purchased another.

Last edited:
I guess I struggle with blanket statements like "I'm saying you can't get a good entry level EMTB for $2K." without further context - expanding that thought a little. I'd agree a $2K FS bike is not going to be up for jumping and navigating "rock gardens", not for long anyway, but not all people purchasing a 2K e-mtb are going to be asking their bike to do that - ever!

Same with comments regarding "trail worthy". Some consider packed limestone chips on a rails to trails project a "trail", no? Or multi use trails. Are they not a "trail"? Do people need a high end bike to navigate a packed limestone or multi use trail to have a good time? Not in my world.

My point is, guys that have experienced what you are talking about regarding the tougher conditions that are out there, and enjoy that kind of riding regularly, are very likely going to agree with you. The issue I have is with newbies or those with MUCH lower expectations. Providing them with info alluding to the fact they need some sort of higher end bike to ride a "trail" is misleading.

In order to better inform those just coming up to speed, I think it's worth the extra couple of minutes it might take to expand our thoughts a bit when it comes to some of these subjective terms (e.g. trail worthy, or entry level). The thought I would really like to avoid is the one that might put a potential new rider off by the impression the bike for them is going to be out of their "affordability" range. My thoughts anyway, FWIW. -Al

I guess I struggle with blanket statements like "I'm saying you can't get a good entry level EMTB for $2K." without further context - expanding that thought a little. I'd agree a $2K FS bike is not going to be up for jumping and navigating "rock gardens", not for long anyway, but not all people purchasing a 2K e-mtb are going to be asking their bike to do that - ever!

Same with comments regarding "trail worthy". Some consider packed limestone chips on a rails to trails project a "trail", no? Or multi use trails. Are they not a "trail"? Do people need a high end bike to navigate a packed limestone or multi use trail to have a good time? Not in my world.

My point is, guys that have experienced what you are talking about regarding the tougher conditions that are out there, and enjoy that kind of riding regularly, are very likely going to agree with you. The issue I have is with newbies or those with MUCH lower expectations. Providing them with info alluding to the fact they need some sort of higher end bike to ride a "trail" is misleading.

In order to better inform those just coming up to speed, I think it's worth the extra couple of minutes it might take to expand our thoughts a bit when it comes to some of these subjective terms (e.g. trail worthy, or entry level). The thought I would really like to avoid is the one that might put a potential new rider off by the impression the bike for them is going to be out of their "affordability" range. My thoughts anyway, FWIW. -Al

I fall into this category... My reason for purchasing an entry level FS bike wasn't to downhill or compete. I bought it because there were no road bikes with suspension and when I switched over to the budget FS bike the ride improvement was noticeable and appreciated. I also liked the look, and the added weight didn't bother me.
Now I don't think I would purchase the bike in question here for a few reasons... But it not being a true mountain bike is not one of them.
The hi end snobs need to realize that there is more than one reason to take a certain trail and top of the line everything isn't always required.

I fall into this category... My reason for purchasing an entry level FS bike wasn't to downhill or compete. I bought it because there were no road bikes with suspension and when I switched over to the budget FS bike the ride improvement was noticeable and appreciated. I also liked the look, and the added weight didn't bother me.
Now I don't think I would purchase the bike in question here for a few reasons... But it not being a true mountain bike is not one of them.
The hi end snobs need to realize that there is more than one reason to take a certain trail and top of the line everything isn't always required.

Which entry level FS did you purchase Rocket?

"The bike mentioned in the starting post above would probably be fine on pavement and dirt roads. Taking this bike over roots, drops, rock gardens and jumps will be having you regret your purchase. Just because a bike looks like a mountain bike and has all the mountain bike looking components does'nt make it trail worthy."

I'm not sure how I can better drive an important point (see above) to consider when buying a FS bike with out wasting any further words. I frequently see entry level FS ebikes on trails I ride fail because they weren't suited to ride those trials. I ride mountain biking trails.

Now if your riding smooth trails, why buy a full suspension? They are extremely heavy in the biking world and in most cases unnecessary. The right tires can accommodate light easy trails without full suspension. My wife's Como 3.0 is a perfect example of this. One of my bikes is a Rad Rover. I replaced the cheap heavy front suspension fork with a solid fork and cut out 7 pounds. The bike rides better with the modification. The original front fork (in my opinion) was a waste and added unnecessary cost to the bike.

I believe the original OP (or maybe a contributing poster) said something about liking the looks. Looks are deceiving when making a purchase. The cheapest and worst bike can look cool or sexy. My original response was straight to the point. Obviously I didn't sugar coat it. I get tired of these manufactures incorrectly representing their bikes either by not identifying the components or slapping a cheap full suspension system on them to make them appear as if they are a true mountain bike.

To the newbie it is confusing. Most ask good questions and pursue information. Unfortunately they don't always get adequate feedback. How can someone who's is never ridden a particular bike have a solid opinion? Good question. Most don't critique the bike by individual components offered on the bike. If it looks good or they own it they usually offer good feedback. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and we all have budgets. balancing the two is challenging in the ebike world.

I encourage the OP and all newbies to look up and research components before deciding on a bike. Group sets , suspension, brakes, tires, batteries and motors range from entry to advance. It is important to know what you are spending your money on. Do the research so your expectations can meet your purchase.

Will probably be buying this bike tomorrow. Going to add a 2nd battery with a switch to toggle between them, giving around 20Ah total.
It will be mostly used for roads, no real mountain biking. Just gravel paths or asphalt.
Is this a good buy, or got another suggestion that isn't more expensive? It's on discount tomorrow, had a thread up and people seem to have thought it looked OK after a glance. You guys seem split on it here though :p
I'm located in Sweden. This bike is already over my budget, not going any higher.

Will probably be buying this bike tomorrow. Going to add a 2nd battery with a switch to toggle between them, giving around 20Ah total.
It will be mostly used for roads, no real mountain biking. Just gravel paths or asphalt.
Is this a good buy, or got another suggestion that isn't more expensive? It's on discount tomorrow, had a thread up and people seem to have thought it looked OK after a glance. You guys seem split on it here though :p
I'm located in Sweden. This bike is already over my budget, not going any higher.

Was also suggested Frey. They have two bikes at a similar/same cost:
HT1000, Hunter
Are these available from the EU? Googled a lot, but can only find their alibaba page which seems to be US/CH. This would put the cost at +400-600$ with my customs, which makes them far over my budget.

Was also suggested Frey. They have two bikes at a similar/same cost:
HT1000, Hunter
Are these available from the EU? Googled a lot, but can only find their alibaba page which seems to be US/CH. This would put the cost at +400-600$ with my customs, which makes them far over my budget.
Before you pull the trigger there I'd suggest you look at other brands/shops. Have you checked with your local bikeshops? Do you have Decathlon in Sweden for example? Their eMTBs are around the same price I think and highly regarded. Under Euro2000/$2000 has opened up with some decent, well made hardtail eMTBs or light trail/commuter bikes now available- though covid means stock is scarce.

My concern (and alarm bells) are the flashy advert, the brand name which in the advert is not promoted, the Bafang motor seems the main selling point and I just don't know the bike brand. The main thing you want from spending this amount of money is longterm reliability and cycling comfort. Plus a warranty with teeth where without big hassle you can send bike to be fixed/replaced if a fault does arise.

Before you pull the trigger there I'd suggest you look at other brands/shops. Have you checked with your local bikeshops? Do you have Decathlon in Sweden for example? Their eMTBs are around the same price I think and highly regarded. Under Euro2000/$2000 has opened up with some decent, well made hardtail eMTBs or light trail/commuter bikes now available- though covid means stock is scarce.

My concern (and alarm bells) are the flashy advert, the brand name which in the advert is not promoted, the Bafang motor seems the main selling point and I just don't know the bike brand. The main thing you want from spending this amount of money is longterm reliability and cycling comfort. Plus a warranty with teeth where without big hassle you can send bike to be fixed/replaced if a fault does arise.
Warranty isn't a biggie for me, i'm quite practical and would likely fix any issues myself before considering sending it in.
We have decathlon, but local laws limit those bikes to 250W. Hardly enough.

Found one local shop here with decent bikes, but it just seems to import chinese bikes and mark them up. They had the same bike discussed in this thread, but for 1000$ more.
Got any suggestions from online EU vendors?
I mean the one in this thread seems quite decent, but as you said, it has a few alarms. However at the pricepoint, maybe it's still worth it? Seems to be getting quite good reviews on Aliexpress.

I don't know enough to advise - it's good a real live concrete bike shop stocks the bike, that's reassuring - did you get to sit on it and look at the parts up close? Much better then a picture. It sounds like you want something more powerful then I know about. I've never used Aliexpress, so don't know if those recommendations are honest, just use ebay or Amazon or online/local bikeshops here in UK and I'm always a bit sceptical of wall to wall 5 star reviews!

Warranty isn't a biggie for me, i'm quite practical and would likely fix any issues myself before considering sending it in.
We have decathlon, but local laws limit those bikes to 250W. Hardly enough.

Found one local shop here with decent bikes, but it just seems to import chinese bikes and mark them up. They had the same bike discussed in this thread, but for 1000$ more.
Got any suggestions from online EU vendors?
I mean the one in this thread seems quite decent, but as you said, it has a few alarms. However at the pricepoint, maybe it's still worth it? Seems to be getting quite good reviews on Aliexpress.
It looks like you could get 2 batteries and the bike today for around 2150 US. They are also including a few "freebies" including an alarm and a few other items. If I didn't already have a Frey on order I would probably take a flyer on this deal...

Is there a vendor for Frey bikes in Europe?
Shipping from Alibaba was 800$, then customs and tax will be another 700$.

Is there a vendor for Frey bikes in Europe?
Shipping from Alibaba was 800$, then customs and tax will be another 700$.
Simon with Adrenaline Ebikes in Great Britain I believe could help you out. He has a good Youtube video uncrating a CC...

Simon with Adrenaline Ebikes in Great Britain I believe could help you out. He has a good Youtube video uncrating a CC...
Checked around a bit, kinda doubt I'll get a Frey bike for below 2000€ shipped to Sweden. Or am I mistaken?

"The bike mentioned in the starting post above would probably be fine on pavement and dirt roads. Taking this bike over roots, drops, rock gardens and jumps will be having you regret your purchase. Just because a bike looks like a mountain bike and has all the mountain bike looking components does'nt make it trail worthy."

I'm not sure how I can better drive an important point (see above) to consider when buying a FS bike with out wasting any further words. I frequently see entry level FS ebikes on trails I ride fail because they weren't suited to ride those trials. I ride mountain biking trails.

Now if your riding smooth trails, why buy a full suspension? They are extremely heavy in the biking world and in most cases unnecessary. The right tires can accommodate light easy trails without full suspension. My wife's Como 3.0 is a perfect example of this. One of my bikes is a Rad Rover. I replaced the cheap heavy front suspension fork with a solid fork and cut out 7 pounds. The bike rides better with the modification. The original front fork (in my opinion) was a waste and added unnecessary cost to the bike.

I believe the original OP (or maybe a contributing poster) said something about liking the looks. Looks are deceiving when making a purchase. The cheapest and worst bike can look cool or sexy. My original response was straight to the point. Obviously I didn't sugar coat it. I get tired of these manufactures incorrectly representing their bikes either by not identifying the components or slapping a cheap full suspension system on them to make them appear as if they are a true mountain bike.

To the newbie it is confusing. Most ask good questions and pursue information. Unfortunately they don't always get adequate feedback. How can someone who's is never ridden a particular bike have a solid opinion? Good question. Most don't critique the bike by individual components offered on the bike. If it looks good or they own it they usually offer good feedback. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and we all have budgets. balancing the two is challenging in the ebike world.

I encourage the OP and all newbies to look up and research components before deciding on a bike. Group sets , suspension, brakes, tires, batteries and motors range from entry to advance. It is important to know what you are spending your money on. Do the research so your expectations can meet your purchase.

Thanks for offering these valuable insights to help prospective buyers.
Most people get enamored by the price but in the long term end up paying 2x more for repair, running around for parts etc.

Anyone who plans on riding 3000+ miles should consider these points before making a decision.

On the flip side, once folks learn something the hard way, it prepares them to think long term and not get enticed by low prices or sleek outer appearance.

Back