Replacement Battery

pmac

I'm considering purchasing 2016 haibike with a 400 wh battery for touring. While I understand that Haibike (as well as other manufacturers) sell second or replacement batteries, can you purchase a battery from a third party vendor like luna cycle (which seem to significantly cheaper even though luna cycle claims to use panasonic cells) and simply plug it in to the Haibike battery slot? Or is some additional engineering involved?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Thanks George. Is that also true for dedicated ebikes, ie Trek, Raleigh etc.? Is it correct to say that the batteries that Luna Cycle sells are for essentially for use with conversion kits?

A conversion bike is going to have two wires coming from the motor, and you can attach any battery. Bikes with very refined frames and motors have much more complicated mounts and, generally, connectors.

It's like camera batteries, except that there are 'aftermarket' batteries made to fit in the slot. And some camera batteries are 'chipped' to prevent the use of third party batteries.

A lot of bikes that are assembled from fairly standard parts, but sold assembled, can be adapted for something like a Luna battery. The Juiced bikes (Cross Current) and the Rad bikes come to mind. I've hung a battery from a Prodeco bike and just put an adapter for the two wires for the battery. A lot of European bikes are 36v and Luna is shifting to 52 volts. Another incompatibility.

But the brands you mention would be tough. Someone could probably engineer an aftermarket battery, but I haven't seen them. They might come out of Europe where sales are brisker.

Last edited:
You don't want to use an aftermarket battery if your bike is still under warranty as it might void it.

Back