Replaced cassette after 1300 miles Vado 4.0

Mando Dave

Region
USA
My chain had been slipping after about 1000 miles, by 1300 it was too annoying to ride. No adjustments could fix it. The shop said that the to small sprockets were worn down too much and replaced the cassette. Good news, it works great.
Except for hills, I am seldom out of those 2 speeds. Is it unusual for it to wear out after 1000 miles?

Thanks

I am unfamiliar with the need to replace the cassette or chain on my Stance E yet.
I checked the chain again last week and with over 4000kms (2500 miles) on it, it has little to no wear.
Flipside is my son's Talon E who's chain is toast at less than half that.
What is your riding style? I am very conscious to never shift under pedal pressure and keep my cadence fairly high.

Dave, as Ben said, you should occasionally check the chain wear and replace the chain when it has got stretched beyond the 0.5% mark. As Keith said, you might replace your chainring with a bigger one (say, 48T) to shift the chain on the bigger cassette sprockets.

Still, wearing the small cassette cogs after only 1,300 miles is unusual. Am I wrong to think you are mostly riding at slow cadence in the Turbo mode?

Note: Depending on your cassette type and parts' availability, it is possible to replace only the worn sprockets on your cassette, which is far cheaper than replacing the whole cluster. You would need to replace the chain at the same time.

Shimano 11spd cassette allow for individual sprocket replacements which makes them cheaper to operate than 10 or 9spds for riders like you. Not sure if SRAM cassettes allow this, you might have to do some homework.

Dave, as Ben said, you should occasionally check the chain wear and replace the chain when it has got stretched beyond the 0.5% mark. As Keith said, you might replace your chainring with a bigger one (say, 48T) to shift the chain on the bigger cassette sprockets.

Still, wearing the small cassette cogs after only 1,300 miles is unusual. Am I wrong to think you are mostly riding at slow cadence in the Turbo mode?

Note: Depending on your cassette type and parts' availability, it is possible to replace only the worn sprockets on your cassette, which is far cheaper than replacing the whole cluster. You would need to replace the chain at the same time.
Thanks. I have been doing a bit more research and every thing here makes sense. Although my chain is in fine shape. I think I will check out the larger front sprocket.

Shimano 11spd cassette allow for individual sprocket replacements which makes them cheaper to operate than 10 or 9spds for riders like you. Not sure if SRAM cassettes allow this, you might have to do some homework.
Do you have a link for these smaller cogs? In the past I've searched online for them, with very little success.

Do you have a link for these smaller cogs? In the past I've searched online for them, with very little success.
which ones do you need? I had to order a bunch from England - got three of each of my smallest two to spread the shipping costs out. shimano may have some sort of stupid policy about which ones can be sold in which region.

there are quite a few types. I got these 11t and 12t (For dura ace 12 speed) from SJScycles. fast shipping and good service.

0A01FBDD-AB1A-4437-AA26-B0BCDD597738.jpeg

I didn't change the cassette on my Haibike Trekking until 7,000 miles. How often are you lubing the chain and adjust the tension on the derailleur? I suggest you up your maintenance schedule and make slower shifts not under power.

Back