Rental cycle helmets

John Hancock

Region
United Kingdom
I have recently developed a liking for renting e-scooters for my daily commute. Even my family has started using them. However, I am quite worried about our safety as the rental companies do not offer helmets with the scooters. I do not want to carry a helmet around with me either. Do you think it would be a good idea for these companies to provide helmets as an option? Also, would you be willing to use a shared helmet if you knew it was clean and undamaged?

We recently arrived at a mtb resort and discovered my son had left his lid 5 hours drive away ) . I borrowed a rental bike lid , but even though I knew it had been cleaned after last use, I couldn't be sure it'd never been crashed in. I found myself halfway down the first run and questioning why I was taking the risk.

So I returned the rental lid, and we took turns doing laps using my helmet.

There is nothing worse than putting on a helmet that has just come off the head of a sweaty teenager! OK , perhaps lying down in a motel bed and realising the last customers were teenagers paying by the hour....

I totally understand , and also thought about this, I think it would be helpful if the helmet had some sort of detachable inner lining for personal hygiene that could clip onto the shell of the helmet. This way, we could maintain our own hygiene standards and feel more comfortable and secure while cycling. #

What if you were provided with your own approved personal inside lining to attach to the helmet shell? This way, you maintain the comfort and hygiene of your personal space while still benefiting from shared helmet availability. It could be a practical solution to address concerns and ensure a safer, more personalized experience. What are your thoughts on this approach?

Even if you get a rental helmet, you have no idea how many times that helmet was part of a full head to ground fall. Like a motorcycle helmet, you should replace the helmet after a big fall. Only way I would consider a rental helmet is if I was in an area that I had no idea I was going to rent a bike/scooter and had no other choice but rent a helmet and really wanted to ride/explore. Then I would do it slowly.

Why not just buy a helmet and carry it around with you? Yes, it is inconvenient but nowhere near as inconvenient as a traumatic brain injury. There are also highly rated helmets available at non-insane prices too:

I've taken my own helmet of 3 occasions and rented bikes and ebikes at my destination. It was always a destination I drove my own vehicle and just tossed my helmet in the hatch. I would consider a collapsible or foldable helmet if you need to travel with space restrictions like air, cruise, or public transport (Amazon, $90-$120):

foldable bike helmet.jpg

fold helmet II.jpg
fold helmet.jpg

I need a XL bike helmet also (use Bell Sixer MIPS XL MTB). The Overade Plixi comes in L/XL size (22.75" - 24.5"). The wife and I are close to retirement and we like renting (e)bikes, take Segway tours, electric scooters, use city bikes, etc... when we want to sight see at an destination. The folding helmet wasn't even on my radar as an option until this thread. Didn't know they made such a thing.

Amazon, $119: https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-hel...e33e&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1&psc=1

Amazon, $89: https://www.amazon.com/Closca-Folda...16f86de33e&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1

Amazon, $119: https://www.amazon.com/FEND-Commute...16f86de33e&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m&th=1

I have recently developed a liking for renting e-scooters for my daily commute. Even my family has started using them. However, I am quite worried about our safety as the rental companies do not offer helmets with the scooters. I do not want to carry a helmet around with me either. Do you think it would be a good idea for these companies to provide helmets as an option? Also, would you be willing to use a shared helmet if you knew it was clean and undamaged?
You could always wear the helmet all the time and not carry it. You could go for the sympathy look and wrap some gauze around it. Splash on a little catsup and act like you have a head injury. 😄

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, if you're commuting on a rented e-scooter, it seems to me you would be wearing the helmet most of the time anyway, and not carrying it.

Also consider how many rentals it will take to equal the cost of buying a scooter.

Welcome to the forum and please don't take offense at my sick humor.

I completely understand that some individuals prefer to rent a helmet, especially if they are not frequent riders. However, the biggest concern that arises is whether the helmet is clean and safe to use. If you could have complete assurance that the helmet has been thoroughly cleaned and checked for any damages, wouldn't that give you peace of mind?

Even if you get a rental helmet, you have no idea how many times that helmet was part of a full head to ground fall. Like a motorcycle helmet, you should replace the helmet after a big fall. Only way I would consider a rental helmet is if I was in an area that I had no idea I was going to rent a bike/scooter and had no other choice but rent a helmet and really wanted to ride/explore. Then I would do it slowly.
I completely understand that some individuals prefer to rent a helmet, especially if they are not frequent riders. However, the biggest concern that arises is whether the helmet is clean and safe to use. If you could have complete assurance that the helmet has been thoroughly cleaned and checked for any damages, wouldn't that give you peace of mind?

Back