Removing rear wheel with belt drive...puncture avoidance and field flat repair strategies

Machokie

Hey folks. I have been thinking about the best strategy for puncture avoidance and field flat repair. I have a Super Delite on order (Enviolo w/ GX option). How daunting is rear wheel removal in the field on these Gates carbon belt driven R&Ms? I am contemplating Tannus tire liners to reduce puncture risk as much as possible. Would appreciate our thoughts on this. Thanks!

I am also interested inn the answer to this question. I have a SD Rohloff GX coming very soon and hence need to know. Thanks........

I'm all for it and very interested in it. BUT... I have also heard that these Tannus inserts wear out and must be replaced regularly. That means going through the tire change routine to swap in a new Tannus insert, perhaps more often than a flat would happen? At least, the replacement could be performed under intentional conditions, not randomly out in the field where a flat would occur. So perhaps you are exchanging more work for the seldom inconvenience of fixing a flat. Does anyone know how often these need to be replaced?

I'm all for it and very interested in it. BUT... I have also heard that these Tannus inserts wear out and must be replaced regularly. That means going through the tire change routine to swap in a new Tannus insert, perhaps more often than a flat would happen? At least, the replacement could be performed under intentional conditions, not randomly out in the field where a flat would occur. So perhaps you are exchanging more work for the seldom inconvenience of fixing a flat. Does anyone know how often these need to be replaced?
They are guaranteed for 7 years. I should work for the company.

Ha! But what I saw was something like, they should be replaced every so many miles, like 2,000 miles? Maybe I am wrong about that.

They warranty them for 5,000 miles. I seem to recall reading that they last over 10,000 before I bought mine. They claim that if you do get a puncture, you can run flat at low speeds without damaging your rim (avoiding rugged terrain). I'm pleased with the ride quality with the Tannus installed on my bike - but less than 500 miles so cannot attest to longevity.

I have never had a Rohloff but several other brand IGH's over the years and have always found it most convenient for wheel repairs outside of a shop environment is to turn the bike upside down onto the saddle/handle bars. It allows for gravity to work for you rather than fighting the wheels up into the drops. I am talking front and rear here btw.

But in today's world the handlebars especially are not set up favorably for doing that with all the fooforah folks seem to be attracted to. There was a poster on here awhile ago that was making 3d printer risers that would clip to the bar and prop it up to not mess with the accessories which I thought was a good idea although I am not sure of its current status. A bit of gaffers tape on the saddle where it hits the ground will protect it.

As far as flats your wheels are rated for use tubeless and that is my preferred flat protection. At low psi inserts on mtb's protect the sidewalls but although I can get on some rowdy terrain tubeless for general use at higher psi 200ml of sealant with some added at intervals works fine. I have literally pulled, well twisted, a screw from my rear tire, with the tire fully on the rim concentrated the area with the sealant via gravity, give it a few spins for centrifuge effect, aired back up and went on my way not to count the endless times it just worked and I never knew I had a problem until I pulled the tire at some point and you can see the little boogers it creates on the inside. Your dealer should be able to provide the service before delivery as pro install is best, the tape is tricky get right, and maintaining them is easy enough.

I have no idea how I'm going to change a rear wheel tube.
Neither have I.

I've punctured three times and have pushed my Homage with Gates + Rohloff each time (2, 6 and 7 km). It's a huge problem that hangs over me despite my using Marathon Plus, Panaracer Flataway (Kevlar liner), Tannus Armour and sealant.

Back home, I use a ratchet strap hanging from the shed roof to lift the rear wheel off the ground.
… David

Neither have I.

I've punctured three times and have pushed my Homage with Gates + Rohloff each time (2, 6 and 7 km). It's a huge problem that hangs over me despite my using Marathon Plus, Panaracer Flataway (Kevlar liner), Tannus Armour and sealant.

Back home, I use a ratchet strap hanging from the shed roof to lift the rear wheel off the ground.
… David
David I wonder if we can hear from anyone who has tried these?
1594561929860.png

Last edited:
Neither have I.

… David
Hi David,
So I was considering using the slime with a liner because they are cost effective. But I see many reviews that say slime doesn't work and can make a mess of the tire. I would appreciate your take on slime since you seem to have had mixed results with it. Do you still us it? Any tricks for success?

David I wonder if we can hear from anyone who has tried these? View attachment 58681
I have not used these, but I have read some ppl complain that they can feel mushy, can slip and if left to sit, they can result in "flat" spots, that you can feel when you ride. Plus they only come in road tread and for me I like to go off road at times.

I have not used these, but I have read some ppl complain that they can feel mushy, can slip and if left to sit, they can result in "flat" spots, that you can feel when you ride. Plus they only come in road tread and for me I like to go off road at times.
yes I doubt they are a better all round solution than the Armours and it looks like nobody that has used them is responding so far but if you absolutely must not get a flat.....

These will get you home, where you can then use a bike stand
Am I the only person here who is totally amazed by the GAADI tube with 2 ends?? I never heard of this product, and it looks like a perfect solution for replacing a tube without needing to remove the wheel. Has anyone here had a problem with this GAADI tube? If I don't see negative reports, I will definitely try it!

Am I the only person here who is totally amazed by the GAADI tube with 2 ends?? I never heard of this product, and it looks like a perfect solution for replacing a tube without needing to remove the wheel. Has anyone here had a problem with this GAADI tube? If I don't see negative reports, I will definitely try it!
No It is a clever idea indeed and I should get some just in case, but I would prefer to avoid getting a flat in the first place.

I liked the idea too but the link only gives German sellers IN German!

Back