Regular Rad mini vs mini step thru?

Whatdevs

Region
USA
City
West Sacramento
Is there any difference in the performance of these bikes? Everyone RAVES about the mini step thru eating up hills but I don’t hear as much about the regular mini. Maybe just because the step thru is a newer model? Other than the stand over height, is there any difference between these hikes in terms of power, performance and handling?

Is there any difference in the performance of these bikes? Everyone RAVES about the mini step thru eating up hills but I don’t hear as much about the regular mini. Maybe just because the step thru is a newer model? Other than the stand over height, is there any difference between these hikes in terms of power, performance and handling?
same power! Handling should be very close,but i believe the regular mini has knobby tires for off roading and the Mini stepthru comes with smooth road tires

Owning both models I have run them both through the course, on road and off, and have found some differences. Although power and drive are equal, these are dual purpose bikes that are perfectly at home whether riding on dry pavement or travelling down a backwoods dirt road. It's the handling while off-road that riders should be most aware of, and since these bikes are the favorite of many RVrs, most of the camp grounds have scenic back roads nearby that are fun to explore.
If you are agile enough to swing a leg over the center bar, then mounting and dismounting will be just as easy on both bikes. Steering on both bikes when riding on dry pavement is somewhat the same, but riding in sand and gravel can present a few challenges. Unless well indoctrinated beforehand, few would even notice that photos of the latest models are now showing street tires mounted on the standard Mini while the Step-Thru is once again adorned with knobbies. These tires signify there will be some differences in ride, especially when riding off-road, and more specifically when riding in soft sand or slippery sand that sets on top of a hard paved surface.
The biggest difference in these bikes is found in how their maneuvering is changed by the type of tire (street or knobby) and by the amount of pressure in the tires. The street tires can be run safely at around 23 pounds on all surfaces, while the knobbies will achieve better traction as pressure is lowered to a minimum of 5 pounds when riding in soft sand.
How the brakes are used is also important and you never want to speed thru a thin layer of sand on the pavement, especially when in turns. Don't use the front brake in this situation since it will try to pull the front wheel to the side and you have now set yourself up for taking a tumble. Keep the front wheel pointed straight ahead at all times. Same with riding in deep soft sand and soft gravel: better to avoid using the front brake and depend on the excellent braking ability of the RAD rear brake only. This holds true for every two-wheeler there is.

Owning both models I have run them both through the course, on road and off, and have found some differences. Although power and drive are equal, these are dual purpose bikes that are perfectly at home whether riding on dry pavement or travelling down a backwoods dirt road. It's the handling while off-road that riders should be most aware of, and since these bikes are the favorite of many RVrs, most of the camp grounds have scenic back roads nearby that are fun to explore.
If you are agile enough to swing a leg over the center bar, then mounting and dismounting will be just as easy on both bikes. Steering on both bikes when riding on dry pavement is somewhat the same, but riding in sand and gravel can present a few challenges. Unless well indoctrinated beforehand, few would even notice that photos of the latest models are now showing street tires mounted on the standard Mini while the Step-Thru is once again adorned with knobbies. These tires signify there will be some differences in ride, especially when riding off-road, and more specifically when riding in soft sand or slippery sand that sets on top of a hard paved surface.
The biggest difference in these bikes is found in how their maneuvering is changed by the type of tire (street or knobby) and by the amount of pressure in the tires. The street tires can be run safely at around 23 pounds on all surfaces, while the knobbies will achieve better traction as pressure is lowered to a minimum of 5 pounds when riding in soft sand.
How the brakes are used is also important and you never want to speed thru a thin layer of sand on the pavement, especially when in turns. Don't use the front brake in this situation since it will try to pull the front wheel to the side and you have now set yourself up for taking a tumble. Keep the front wheel pointed straight ahead at all times. Same with riding in deep soft sand and soft gravel: better to avoid using the front brake and depend on the excellent braking ability of the RAD rear brake only. This holds true for every two-wheeler there is.

Thanks Bandai, for your info on both rads,I will be asking for knobbly just like my knees will be when I try and get on a bike after 35 years ,but they tell me there's a wee saying in there?? LOL. Ta wee joy 😎💋👀

Hi Wee Moy,
There have been some improvements since I bought my Minis. They have returned to using knobbies and they provide better traction. But everything has their limits, which I have found a few times. Riding on good solid surfaces should help keep you riding safely. Happy Trails...

Back