Recommend first comfort ride eBike ?

GitaM

I would really appreciate it if you could recommend an eBike that I could use once or twice a week for around Vancouver (hilly).

I am not in great shape so want something reasonable with features that would motivate me to ride. Hoping under $3K Canadian.

thanks in advance.

I would really appreciate it if you could recommend an eBike that I could use once or twice a week for around Vancouver (hilly).

I am not in great shape so want something reasonable with features that would motivate me to ride. Hoping under $3K Canadian.

thanks in advance.
Hi GitaM,
Welcome to the forum...love that smile 😁
What features are you looking for in an ebike that can help guide us in recommending something that you may be interested in
A mid drive might be the best given you live in a hilly area
Are you going to use on road or trail, what distance are you intending to ride, and at what speed. Do you want a step though frame, hub gears or derailleur gears, do you want a throttle, luggage carrying options, and most importantly, what colour!

Last edited:
Size of your body matters a lot. As there are several dealers in Vancouver I suggest you get out and visit some. Shop maintenance for the warrenty can be important if you get a bug. If you put your zip code on the base page, court's finder will show you where they are.
There are 3 seating positions riding a bike. Bent over drop handlebars, forwards mountain bike style, and straight up comfort style. the first is faster with less wind resistance. I have a neck similar to my Mother that popped a disk age 48 and was in pain every minute of the rest of her life. So I sit upright and ride at average 8 mph, not 20 like the lycra bikers. Before I bought a motor a stiff headwind pulled me down to 5 mph one awful day. 5.6 hours on a bike is too long.
Mid drives chew up chains, I ride a geared hub motor over 77 hills in 30 miles. Short hills, those runs from the sea to the park at the top of the sierra in CA & WA can burn up a geared hub motor. 15 minutes max at maximum power on steep long grades. I just changed my chain at 5000 miles and 2 1/2 years.
26" or bigger wheels are more comfortable through potholes, unless you buy a suspension. Suspensions tend to exceed your budget. Fat tires limit the shock of running through a hole, but can be difficult to change the tube out on the road after a flat. I can change my tube in 40 minutes anywhere with 5 lb tools.
Torque sensing makes the assistance start immediately for feeling like you are more powerful than you really are. electra townie go has it with a geared hub motor.
If you're going to grocery shop off the bike, a stretch cargo bike like yubabike, xtracycle, pedego stretch, radwagon, reiss & muller, makes sense. yuba & rad have bosses in the frame to mount a front basket that doesn't swing when you steer. Rad is an internet only bike with no dealer maintenance.

Last edited:
A starting point would be to look at step thru models. A throttle may or may not be a help but check your local laws about class 1 or class 2 bikes. Visit as many local bike shops as you can. TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE, TEST RIDE and ask questions. Most of the folks at the LBS will be able to help you tailor a bike to fit your individual needs.

In any case, welcome to the forum! There is a wealth of information here and many good people who will answer your questions, no matter how trivial, so don't be afraid to ask!

Cit-e-cycles is an Electra dealer in Vancouver, the Electra Townie Go 7D model is a comfort cruiser for about C$2,150, here is a review https://electricbikereview.com/electra/townie-go-7d/
The bike has a wide range 14-34 cassette which is helpful for climbing hills. As a cruiser design the saddle can be lowered right down which is helpful for shorter riders to be able to put both feet on the ground when you are stopped. You could ask the dealer to fit fenders and battery lights.

Last edited:
Check out the LIV line from Giant. One of your local bike shops will carry them.
Easy to ride, great range, bulletproof drivetrain, designed for women.

Specialized and Trek, the other two of the 'big-3' also have very nice offerings, albeit at slightly higher cost. You can't miss with the big-guns in the industry. Choosing a dealer is paramount to getting good satisfaction. Don't buy a door-stop. 😋

This is the Amiti - just outstanding. About $2500usd.

MY19-Amiti-E+-2_Color-B_retouch_WEB-jpg.jpeg

I have a Giant La Free E+2 on hilly Whidbey Island - very comfortable, and great in the hills! Comes in 3 frame sizes. It's a mid drive, with either a traditional chain (the E+2) or belt (E+1). Check them out at the Giant website, and there's a review on EBR, also.

Everyone loves and recommends their own bike.. so do I 😉!

Also would recommend the Giant LaFree, but suggest the model E+1 because it has a maintenance free carbon belt drive and internal hub gearing. No chain, no oiling, impervious to dirt, grit, rain, sand, etc. The reduction of required maintenance to the drive train should encourage a "hop on and ride" attitude, and also reduce the worry of riding in places and under conditions that may not be chain-friendly.

You will pay more for the belt drive and internally geared hub, but the payback is more than worth it IMHO. I paid $2,500 (USD) last year for mine.

Tires are wide and designed to ride both paved roads and gravel roads/trails with comfort , ease, and security. Disk brakes for excellent stopping in all kinds of weather and terrain conditions.

400w lithium battery is easy to remove, and can be charged on the bike as well as off. 5 level of assist. Range of distance for charge is anywhere from 74 miles for Eco (Level 1 - 100% assist per pedal stroke) to 39 miles for Turbo (Level 5 - 300% assist per pedal stroke ). I ride in a very hilly area, and find this bike does extremely well with great torque and plenty of power. Extra batteries are available from Giant if one wants to ride long distances (60 miles and up) in hilly locales.

The only drawback to the LaFree models is the lights-only Ride Control One this bike comes with. Impervious to weather which is great, but doesn't give you any digital display. The rider needs a smart phone to get the digital data (plus extra info) that help determine what capacity the battery has at each point in the ride, have GPS tracking, archival storage, and gives totals for the rider to examine after the ride(s).

A very nice, very maintenance free, very comfortable easy entry aluminum ebike for the recreational rider. It does encourage the owner to ride, and makes each ride so much fun, whether riding solo or with others.

More information on Giant's website at giant-bicycles.com

MY19-Lafree-E+-1-LDS_Color-B_retouch.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I’m overwhelmed with all this wonderful replies.
Thank you SO very much. 🙏

I will read carefully and then reply.

I see both mid-drives and hub drives in Vancouver, more hub drives (probably because of lower cost). IMHO, a hub motor 500W and higher is adequate for Vancouver unless you're overweight and/or want to carry 50 lbs of cargo.

I also see a lot of Vespa-looking e-scooters, this could be an option for those who are not in a shape for using a bike at all.

There is a Giant store here. Most Giant models are out of your price range, though there are some under 3K CAD.
There is also RAD Power store (they only sell RAD).
And CiteCycles (several brands to choose).
And LIV (they sell Giant and other brands).
And probably some more. I'm not too keen about Canadian shopping scene, prefer buying in the US with free shipping to "residential" address in WA near the border, there are several businesses offering such an address. Right now this is not an option, the border is closed.

Now, what is a "comfort" is a difficult question. To me this is a cruiser-style bike with upright seating position, swept back handlebars, wider saddle ~8" and seatpost suspension (the latter can be easily added starting from $30, keep in mind that it will increase the seat height by 3.5"). With tires at least 2.2". And - step-through, try it, easier to get on and off than on traditional diamondback frame.

Try RAD City Step-Through. Try Aventon Pace 500 (I think LIV sell it). Similarly priced ~2K CAD, similar features. I won't compare both these bikes here, so as not to anger the fans of either one. Check Court's video reviews on this site, take a test-ride, and make your decision.

Last edited:
Also would recommend the Giant LaFree, but suggest the model E+1 because it has a maintenance free carbon belt drive and internal hub gearing. No chain, no oiling, impervious to dirt, grit, rain, sand, etc. The reduction of required maintenance to the drive train should encourage a "hop on and ride" attitude, and also reduce the worry of riding in places and under conditions that may not be chain-friendly.

You will pay more for the belt drive and internally geared hub, but the payback is more than worth it IMHO. I paid $2,500 (USD) last year for mine.

Tires are wide and designed to ride both paved roads and gravel roads/trails with comfort , ease, and security. Disk brakes for excellent stopping in all kinds of weather and terrain conditions.

400w lithium battery is easy to remove, and can be charged on the bike as well as off. 5 level of assist. Range of distance for charge is anywhere from 74 miles for Eco (Level 1 - 100% assist per pedal stroke) to 39 miles for Turbo (Level 5 - 300% assist per pedal stroke ). I ride in a very hilly area, and find this bike does extremely well with great torque and plenty of power. Extra batteries are available from Giant if one wants to ride long distances (60 miles and up) in hilly locales.

The only drawback to the LaFree models is the lights-only Ride Control One this bike comes with. Impervious to weather which is great, but doesn't give you any digital display. The rider needs a smart phone to get the digital data (plus extra info) that help determine what capacity the battery has at each point in the ride, have GPS tracking, archival storage, and gives totals for the rider to examine after the ride(s).

A very nice, very maintenance free, very comfortable easy entry aluminum ebike for the recreational rider. It does encourage the owner to ride, and makes each ride so much fun, whether riding solo or with others.

More information on Giant's website at giant-bicycles.com

View attachment 48946
I fire up ride control on my phone, then pop it into my jacket pocket or rack bag. I don't need to track everything while I ride, but like to see it when I'm done. You can always push the button in the side of the battery to see how much charge is left - easy peasy.

Another difference between the +1 & +2 is the +2 doesn't have the integrated lights like the +1. I got some add-ons that work fine, and are not further drain on my battery.

They're not the lightest bikes on the road, either - the medium frame is about 56 lbs with battery in place. But, for the price ($2000 USD for +2, $2400 for +1) the comfort, and the reliability, they're a great option.

I fire up ride control on my phone, then pop it into my jacket pocket or rack bag. I don't need to track everything while I ride, but like to see it when I'm done. You can always push the button in the side of the battery to see how much charge is left - easy peasy.
>snip

This is exactly what I do with my mountain bike - besides, don't want my expensive smartphone perched up on the bars anyway. And it uses WAY less charge with the screen closed, program running in the background. I find it works very well.

I added a cateye cycle computer to track speed and distance, so I've basically lost nothing.
And RideControlOne has the charge level indicator showing as well.

Size of your body matters a lot. As there are several dealers in Vancouver I suggest you get out and visit some. Shop maintenance for the warrenty can be important if you get a bug. If you put your zip code on the base page, court's finder will show you where they are.
There are 3 seating positions riding a bike. Bent over drop handlebars, forwards mountain bike style, and straight up comfort style. the first is faster with less wind resistance. I have a neck similar to my Mother that popped a disk age 48 and was in pain every minute of the rest of her life. So I sit upright and ride at average 8 mph, not 20 like the lycra bikers. Before I bought a motor a stiff headwind pulled me down to 5 mph one awful day. 5.6 hours on a bike is too long.
Mid drives chew up chains, I ride a geared hub motor over 77 hills in 30 miles. Short hills, those runs from the sea to the park at the top of the sierra in CA & WA can burn up a geared hub motor. 15 minutes max at maximum power on steep long grades. I just changed my chain at 5000 miles and 2 1/2 years.
26" or bigger wheels are more comfortable through potholes, unless you buy a suspension. Suspensions tend to exceed your budget. Fat tires limit the shock of running through a hole, but can be difficult to change the tube out on the road after a flat. I can change my tube in 40 minutes anywhere with 5 lb tools.
Torque sensing makes the assistance start immediately for feeling like you are more powerful than you really are. electra townie go has it with a geared hub motor.
If you're going to grocery shop off the bike, a stretch cargo bike like yubabike, xtracycle, pedego stretch, radwagon, reiss & muller, makes sense. yuba & rad have bosses in the frame to mount a front basket that doesn't swing when you steer. Rad is an internet only bike with no dealer maintenance.

Thank you again everyone. I’ve read all the comments. Summary of learning followed by questions are at the bottom.

I will definitely visit the shops and test many as recommended.

1/ I only plan to ride in the city with short hills at leisure speeds and say max 2 hours of riding. I am 5’ 5”. About 165 lbs. Will buy Straight up comfort style step through frame with wider saddle (preferably seat post suspension).

2/ Belt is better than chain (lower mtce which i would definitely appreciate)

3/ Mid-drive would be better (lighter, has gears). If going for hub motor (reliable, powerful, Low mtce) I should go for gearless motor and at least 500 watts

4/ Should get suspension (full on both wheels if possible) and hydraulic disc breaks.

5/ Wheel size: regular not fat tires since city riding

6/ Torque sensing type of throttle would be good.

7/ Stretch cargo model will allow for cargo. Dont think I need this. Available brands: Rad, Yoba, Xtra cycle, Pedego, Red wagon, Reid’s & Muller

8/ Recommended bikes so far: Giant La Free E+1, Electra Townie Go 7D model <14-34 cassett for hills), RAD RAD City Step-Through, Aventon Pace

9/ Recommend to go with top 3: Giant (LIV line), Specialized, or Trek

10/ Recommended Stores: LBS, Cit-e-Cycles,

QUESTION: Given the above, any other recommendations??

Last edited:
3/ Mid-drive would be better (lighter, has gears). If going for hub motor (reliable, powerful, Low mtce) I should go for gearless motor and at least 500 watts
gearless hub drive drags when power is off, and a bit slow out of a traffic light. also heavy, about 10 lb.
My geared hub motor will pull170 lb me & 60 lb cargo up 15% grades. The geared hub motor will pull me across 6 lanes on a 6 second green light. It is 2 years old and has 4000 miles on it. The covers came loose twice in 2 years, made thumping noise . Took 2 minute with a phillips screwdriver to retighten. I ride 25 miles 50 hills power off, and the last 27 hills and 6 miles power on. Have dropped 55 lb and 50 point chloresterol in 11 years pedaling myself mostly. I'm 69. Expect motor gears to wear out before 10000 miles, have another $450 power wheel in the garage in case. This one was $221. Can pedal home the 30 miles w/o drag if motor or battery fails. Throttle did quit in a drenching rain once, pedaled 30 miles home, dried it with a hairdryer.
Most mid drives drag with the power off, exceptions Yamaha, shimano esteps, brose. A nuisance if something fails. My bike will not fit in the wife's car. Even if I had cell phone service at the summer camp.
I just changed the chain at 5000 miles and 2 1/2 years. 8 speed chain (3/32" wide), longer lasting than 9,10, 11 speed ones. As bike has a hub motor, the chain is not used by the motor. Lubricate bimonthly since I leave the bike sitting out in the rain @ shops & volunteer job. Belts are new and somewhat expensive. SRAM shifters on my yubabike were more precise than the 7 speed shimanos on my previous kiddie bikes (I'm 68", 28" pants inseam). 8 speed up shimano shifters are not as cost reduced as the 7 speed ones, may be better.
64" people usually use 17" or 18" frames. Non-existent in the bike shops around here except 1 speed kid bikes.
2.1" tires I have are easy to change by the side of the road, fat tire (2.3" and above) reportedly not. I discarded my display so I can turn the bike over on handlebars & seat anywhere.
Wide seats usually have to be bought & installed later. The Schwinn shown left was flat & uncomfortable. I just bought a Selle Royale from modernbike.com, much better. contour in the middle to keep my weight on my ischii (bones). they have cheaper ones with contour & wide. Mine is 230 mm wide.
Keep smiling!

Last edited:
QUOTE=GitaM, post:
Thank you again everyone. I’ve read all the comments. Summary of learning followed by questions are at the bottom.

I will definitely visit the shops and test many as recommended.

1/ I only plan to ride in the city with short hills at leisure speeds and say max 2 hours of riding. I am 5’ 5”. About 165 lbs. Will buy Straight up comfort style step through frame with wider saddle (preferably seat post suspension).
A perfect candidate for a RadCity.

2/ Belt is better than chain (lower mtce which i would definitely appreciate)
Chain is light, cheap, and simple. It's just the way we've always done it. LOL

RadCity again...

4/ Should get suspension (full on both wheels if possible) and hydraulic disc breaks.
Less important than balloon tires and a suspension seat.

5/ Wheel size: regular not fat tires since city riding
2-3 inch is fine. Some of the mid-drive premium bikes have smallish tires, some are bigger. They are easy to change out to whatever you want. A good dealer will even do this for you, or change out a saddle if it's not comfy.

6/ Torque sensing type of throttle would be good.
It means the more you press on the pedals the more assist it gives. Without it, the crank sensor just turns on the drive motor if you're pedaling. You need to ride both and decide for yourself.

7/ Stretch cargo model will allow for cargo. Dont think I need this. Available brands: Rad, Yoba, Xtra cycle, Pedego, Red wagon, Reid’s & Muller
These handle like a bloody tank. The 'fun factor' is missing, and they are very cumbersome.

8/ Recommended bikes so far: Giant La Free E+1, Electra Townie Go 7D model <14-34 cassett for hills)
These are like 'beach-cruisers' - make sure you understand the difference. Some like them, some like something sportier.

9/ Recommend to go with top 3: Giant (LIV line), Specialized, or Trek
These are the top of the heap. Everyone else compares themselves to these guys. The best thing is their dealer support and warranty coverage. They stand behind their product - if it breaks they fix it, even if it means replacing the whole bike.

10/ Recommended Stores: LBS, Cit-e-Cycles,
Can't help ya there. ;)

My answers in red^^^^^

How many have you test ridden??? That is step number one. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited:

#4. Don't worry about suspension too much. If your chosen bike model doesn't have suspension, you can always get a suspension seat post which will make your ride super cushy. There are some good threads on this forum detailing seat post suspensions and which ones are good/better/best.

Have fun looking at your local bike store to see what they have in ebikes. Shopping and trying out ebikes can be fun, and you learn a lot about each model and manufacurer.

Weird huh? She must have went to delete the quote with no reply and deleted the wrong one.
I can take the quote code off and then you can quote it. :)

EDIT: It's back now, but yeah it disappeared for awhile - I couldn't find it either. All good.

Last edited:
Back