Reason(s) for the harsh Vado ride

hank you Stefan.
I honestly had mixed feelings about switching out the front fork of my Vado 6.0. You saved me lots research time, meaning more time to ride it when Spring arrives.
Gonna still be watching if Rochrunner goes ahead with the switch.
After thinking about it a while, instead of putting more $$$ into this bike, I'll probably be buying a new one after this season. For one thing, I'm scared $%^less about the possibility of reinjuring my back, which took me months to recover from last year. It feels OK now, but I have to see what activities I can get back to and at what intensity so I can make a decision on what's best to get, if anything.

I might mention that I'm doing 3-4 fairly intense "virtual" rides a week on my bike trainer setup (see below) for a few months and all is going very well. My main concern is with jolts to my back when I start riding in the real world again, which is why I've been looking at suspension seatposts, etc. So I might as well plan on keeping my Vado with minimal upgrades thru this year and then see what's available for the next year's season.

PXL_20201125_175111053.jpg

So I finally bit the bullet and did something about the front fork on my Vado. After some rather heated discussions with my LBS where they tried to convince me that I didn’t know how to adjust the fork they sourced a new fork for me. A rigid fork from a bike damaged during shipping which they sold to me for half price, $250. Everything fit as it should, cables, fenders and brakes. While I was at it I took 1/2” off each end of the bars. The bike has been transformed. The weight savings is substantial and the bike feels so light and easy to steer. I highly recommend this change for lightweight riders. There is no penalty from removing the suspension fork the ride is better without it probably due to better control. This is how the bike should have come from the factory. Lesson learned, a rigid fork is superior to a cheap suspension fork for the road or commuting. I have also purchased a Kinect seat post which I will be installing soon. If I can find a short reach suspension stem I will probably give that a try too.View attachment 78255View attachment 78256View attachment 78255View attachment 78256
Did you ever find out where the fork was sourced?

Did you ever find out where the fork was sourced?
The fork came from Specialized off of a bike that was badly damaged in shipping and was being scrapped out for parts. There was a small scratch on the fork but other than that it looks fine. I am not sure what model of bike it came from.

I just installed a RedShift ShockStop seatpost on my wife's Vado SL. She loves it! We ride offroad a lot in the Santa Cruz mountains and San Francisco Bay Area regional parks and it soaks up a lot of the bumps.

Hi 900ss did the SL have a rear light attached to the saddle (the non EQ version) & if so did you just remove it or find a way to rewire the cables? I like the rear light so am reluctant to change saddle or seat post and lose the light fitting.

@Cyklefanatic OP here from way back. This really intrigues me. What bike did the fork come off of? Is it carbon or aluminum or ??? I'm looking at getting a Redshift seatpost and would consider their stem as well with a rigid fork. I've never felt like the OEM fork was doing much good at all for my type of riding, which is now much less off-road than I had originally anticipated. I noted that the Vado SL comes with a rigid fork as well and it would be worth it on my Vado 4.0 just for the weight savings. Your bike certainly looks nice that way.
I have to qualify that I have NOT ridden a bike with the Kinect or a Thudbuster seat post, but received and installed a Redshift this past week. I find it fantastic. I notice just the very slightest 'bob' on the street and have not decided whether to bump the preload up or not since it is so minimal. I highly recommend it.
It looks real stealthy and how long it takes to make a change comes down to simply how quickly you can remove and re-install your seat post. The additional heavier spring, if required, simply drops inside the stock spring. No swapping out elastomers or springs.
I currently weigh about 20 pounds more than usual and when the time comes, I bet I can remove the additional spring and come real close preload-wise in about 1 minute. I didn't install the magnetic cover on it either since I don't anticipate get it too grungy.
I am not a real fan of front suspension forks so a rigid carbon fork and Redshift stem my be in my future as well. CN

Hi 900ss did the SL have a rear light attached to the saddle (the non EQ version) & if so did you just remove it or find a way to rewire the cables? I like the rear light so am reluctant to change saddle or seat post and lose the light fitting.
Hello, I should have noted that her Vado SL is the Equipped model. Apologies for the omission!

Does anyone know if you can turn the VADO into a something without a front shock? Maybe a carbon or aluminum fork?

Thanks. But still want no shock with the weight it adds.
Redshift ShockStop stem weighs about the same as your stock stem. The difference is in grams.
I understand you want to replace the fork. No idea where to find a matching rigid fork for Vado.

Does anyone know if you can turn the VADO into a something without a front shock? Maybe a carbon or aluminum fork?
Yes you can replace the front fork with an aluminum one from specialized. I did this on my Vado 4.0 and it transformed the bike. You can see a picture in this thread dated February 4 2021. Less weight and lighter steering feel. The Vado in Europe does not have a suspension fork so it is not an uncommon setup. If you weigh under 170 pounds the cheap fork that comes on the Vado is totally useless.

Yes you can replace the front fork with an aluminum one from specialized. I did this on my Vado 4.0 and it transformed the bike. You can see a picture in this thread dated February 4 2021. Less weight and lighter steering feel. The Vado in Europe does not have a suspension fork so it is not an uncommon setup. If you weigh under 170 pounds the cheap fork that comes on the Vado is totally useless.
Thank you so much for the info and pics, greatly appreciated

So I finally bit the bullet and did something about the front fork on my Vado. After some rather heated discussions with my LBS where they tried to convince me that I didn’t know how to adjust the fork they sourced a new fork for me. A rigid fork from a bike damaged during shipping which they sold to me for half price, $250. Everything fit as it should, cables, fenders and brakes. While I was at it I took 1/2” off each end of the bars. The bike has been transformed. The weight savings is substantial and the bike feels so light and easy to steer. I highly recommend this change for lightweight riders. There is no penalty from removing the suspension fork the ride is better without it probably due to better control. This is how the bike should have come from the factory. Lesson learned, a rigid fork is superior to a cheap suspension fork for the road or commuting. I have also purchased a Kinect seat post which I will be installing soon. If I can find a short reach suspension stem I will probably give that a try too.View attachment 78255View attachment 78256View attachment 78255View attachment 78256
Could be this fork, Como...

Attachments

• specialized-turbo-como-2-0-rigid-alloy-fork-with-fender-bosses-1200x800-c-default.jpeg
    specialized-turbo-como-2-0-rigid-alloy-fork-with-fender-bosses-1200x800-c-default.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 99
Back