Rear shock starting to sag at 430 miles

ryukenden73

The rear shock which is an HLT-100 rated at 750lbs is starting to sag on my bike. I am 218 lbs. and ride the bike on pavement 90% all the time. I initially attempted to increase the size and replace it with a DNM-AOY-38RC gas shock, which is a lockable and adjustable. FYI, the shock we have is 150 mm. This is one is 165mm. The replacement shock will fit, but the problem is the wiring is touching the top of the shock and it might break the cables during riding. So, i found a 150 mm adjustable gas shock DNM-AO6. You will need to reuse the upper and lower aluminum bushings from the HLT-100.

You can see that the replacement shock has a larger air chamber and the pressure can be adjusted. The factory set it to 150PSI which is a tad too hard for me. I dropped it to 100PSI.
797ACA40-DC84-4E7C-A969-1B31BED978D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work and thank you! It's something that's been on my mind eventually to find a replacement for. I'm definitely interested in hearing how it holds up and performs.

Nice work and thank you! It's something that's been on my mind eventually to find a replacement for. I'm definitely interested in hearing how it holds up and performs.
i did a road test after installing and heard some squeaking noises. no biggie. added some lithium grease on the upper and lower bolts and lubricated the suspension joints using my chain oil ( Finish Line WET ). rode for 20 miles yesterday.

bike is squeak-free.

The HLT-100 rear shock is not an air shock. Somebody posted up an opened up pic in a review, but it's a coil spring inside of an 'air shock' looking housing. There was a ton of sag with that junky shock, and has always been like that for me since day one (back in May).

I also swapped mine out for a KS A5-RR1 air shock a couple of months ago and I'm using 190psi/170psi on the high/low sides of it. Perfect for my weight and now the bike rides so much better and takes drops now like a champ.

Wallke2.jpg

Yes the std shock is a crappy spring in a can.

Air shocks should be set up to the bike manufacturers recommendation, but given that none of their bikes come with air shocks it's rather difficult to follow that !

As a general rule of thumb..

> set pressure to half of the riders weight - so 218lbs >> 110 psi
> check the sag (dead weight of rider on seat), which should be 25-30% of the total piston travel - use the rubber band on the piston, if no band then use a cable zip-tie.
> adjust pressures accordingly

Some companies start at a higher pressure (X-Fusion sat start at 80% of rider weight) - it doesn't really matter, its a case of adjusting pressures until the sag is correct.

There is no definitive value as different frames have different leverages on the shock. You could start with the values given by DNM in their user manual..

1604069494209.png

Again these are guides (190psi in the case of a 220lbs rider which isn't a million miles away from the X-Fusion suggestion of 80% rider weight).

Last edited:
yeah. i rode yesterday, and there was too much sag now at 100 PSI ...( i'm 220 lbs) i bumped it up back to 150 PSI

The HLT-100 rear shock is not an air shock. Somebody posted up an opened up pic in a review, but it's a coil spring inside of an 'air shock' looking housing. There was a ton of sag with that junky shock, and has always been like that for me since day one (back in May).

I also swapped mine out for a KS A5-RR1 air shock a couple of months ago and I'm using 190psi/170psi on the high/low sides of it. Perfect for my weight and now the bike rides so much better and takes drops now like a champ.

Wallke2.jpg

I was interested on using this shock, since you can adjust the high and low. problem i saw that was it was 165mm. and it would be touching the wires. i was afraid that it might break the bundle of wires on that location.

Last edited:
I was interested on using this shock, since you can adjust the high and low. problem i saw was it was 165mm. and it would be touching the wires. i was afraid that it might break the bundle of wires on that location.
I'm using their 150x30mm air shock, which is a direct replacement to the HLT-100 shock that comes on the bike. Same eyelet-to-eyelet measurement and same stroke, so it was a direct replacement. The shock is not close to any of the wires.

The 165mm shock would be too long for the frame.

I'm using their 150x30mm air shock, which is a direct replacement to the HLT-100 shock that comes on the bike. Same eyelet-to-eyelet measurement and same stroke, so it was a direct replacement. The shock is not close to any of the wires.

Thank you folks. I bought the AR and just put it on and put it up to 110. Very nice. Amazingly I had two bushings in my junk drawer that fit perfectly!

Can you post the actual brand and model shock and/or a link to it?

Yes the std shock is a crappy spring in a can.

Air shocks should be set up to the bike manufacturers recommendation, but given that none of their bikes come with air shocks it's rather difficult to follow that !

As a general rule of thumb..

> set pressure to half of the riders weight - so 218lbs >> 110 psi
> check the sag (dead weight of rider on seat), which should be 25-30% of the total piston travel - use the rubber band on the piston, if no band then use a cable zip-tie.
> adjust pressures accordingly

Some companies start at a higher pressure (X-Fusion sat start at 80% of rider weight) - it doesn't really matter, its a case of adjusting pressures until the sag is correct.

There is no definitive value as different frames have different leverages on the shock. You could start with the values given by DNM in their user manual..

View attachment 70051

Again these are guides (190psi in the case of a 220lbs rider which isn't a million miles away from the X-Fusion suggestion of 80% rider weight).
THANX for the info! I'm so new to this I haven't even received what will be my first ebike (or any type of bike for decades) yet. Not to put too fine a point on it, should the weight you use to calculate the proper psi be your weight fully clothed as you will be riding + whatever gear (bags, water, tools, etc.) you will be carrying? I assume a bike shop could make the proper psi/sag adjustments by having me sit on the bike, but again it would be more accurate if the bike was dressed out as I anticipate it would be when I'm riding it. True?

THANX for the info! I'm so new to this I haven't even received what will be my first ebike (or any type of bike for decades) yet. Not to put too fine a point on it, should the weight you use to calculate the proper psi be your weight fully clothed as you will be riding + whatever gear (bags, water, tools, etc.) you will be carrying? I assume a bike shop could make the proper psi/sag adjustments by having me sit on the bike, but again it would be more accurate if the bike was dressed out as I anticipate it would be when I'm riding it. True?
True

Anybody know if this shock will fit our bikes (Wallke X3 Pro).... The RockShox Monarch R? https://planetcyclery.com/rockshox-monarch-r-rear-shock-650x150-165x38mm-c3-frk-00205 I am ready to purchase the KS A5-RR1 150x30mm, but would really like to upgrade parts as I replace them with 'better' brands. But will the RockShox 165x38mm fit the X3 Pro? I had run a RockShox on my Giant full suspension MTB years ago and the shock was indestructible. I would imagine it would make the X3 Pro even more of a beast than it is now.

I tried to install a 165 mm. It will fit but my concern is that the upper shock mount is touching / pinching the cables to the controller. I didn’t want to risk it, pinch breaking the wires, so I went to a 150mm.

I tried to install a 165 mm. It will fit but my concern is that the upper shock mount is touching / pinching the cables to the controller. I didn’t want to risk it, pinch breaking the wires, so I went to a 150mm.
That does make sense...

Wallke2.jpg
Hoooold it? What am I doing wrong? I bought the same shock filled to 170 and 80 and it is sooo much shorter than HLT and looks nothing like this. What did I do wrong? Is it not extended all the way? Did I miss something in the manual?

Attachments

• 20210103_184957.jpg
    20210103_184957.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 787
Hoooold it? What am I doing wrong? I bought the same shock filled to 170 and 80 and it is sooo much shorter than HLT and looks nothing like this. What did I do wrong? Is it not extended all the way? Did I miss something in the manual?
OOOOOoooookay... Hole to hole my shock is 5 inches or... 125mm. They sent me the wrong one.

Back