Rear Rack Suggestions?

Magmir

I'd like to install a rack on my Carbon and have zero experience with them. Does anyone have any suggestions? What's the most practical rear rack solution in terms of cargo? I imagine I'll carry my lock around back there, perhaps some small grocery shops, etc. Thanks!

Cool, most of the ebikes I've used either already had racks which were welded on or I was focused on using the bike offroad and chose to use a backpack when carrying stuff. Of course, I prefer racks as they eliminate the neck and back strain associated with straps and stuff, especially those cross single strap messenger bags. Regardless of the rack you choose, I think panniers are great because they keep weight low and seem to carry more than saddle bags. That said, I've seen the new racks that have proprietary clip-on bags and those seem very cool! I've found a few options here that stand out and I'll try to share my thoughts on why.
  • Arkel Roadrunner Seat Post Rack - Relies only on the seat post and uses the saddle bars to stay straight. Very cool design in my opinion but curious how this would work on a carbon seat post? Also, no side guards to keep panniers from hitting your tires when riding.
  • Topeak Explorer - Standard rack but has lots of good ratings, affordable, extra tubing on the sides for strength and bag protection from wheels. May work better with Topeak bags?
  • Ibera PakRak - Touring style carrier with reinforced mounting points and a wider side-bar system for protecting panniers, also very well priced.
  • Roswheel Bicycle Rear Rack - Inexpensive but uses lots of nuts, more places to get loose and fall off... What I like here is that it mounts to the seat post in the front vs. the seat stays. Also has the extended side bars.
Here's a great article from REI talking about how to choose the best bike rack and it even covers front racks! Talks about bags, mounting options etc. I also found some racks by Bontrager with proprietary slide-on mounting systems that work with their bags and one by Axiom called the "Journey Disc Rack" that's supposed to work well with disc brakes. Hope this helps! Admittedly I'm not an expert on racks but the different mounting options and the sidebar considerations seem like a good place to begin :)

check and compare weights. Some panniers are heavier than others. Same with racks. Check the weight.

Also, since the rear wheel is already weighted down by the motor, maybe consider a front wheel carrier option like a basket or something like Faraday Porteur.

Thanks for the suggestions Court and Brambor!

I'm going to spend some time today checking out the above links. I hadn't really considered weight before but you're absolutely right Brambor and I will make sure to take that into consideration.

Thanks Magmir - I have two Scott Sub 10 bikes for me and for the Supreme Commander. I added a rear rack and panniers to mine a year ago and honestly I kind of dislike how much heavier my rear wheel is than my wife's. The weight of the steel rear rack is significant and (I found out later) there are panniers that are much lighter than the set that I bought.

Whilst I was using the NEO Xtrem for commuting duties I fitted a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack in conjunction with a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EXP with Side Panniers.

It didn't really add any significant weight to the bike, was quick to install and remove, worked with the rear disc set up, and the slide on/off bag with side panniers was brilliant.

I have just been out and weighed the rack, and according to my scales, it weighs 875 grams (1.92Ibs)

topeak-super-tourist-dx-bike-rack.jpg

topeak-mtx-trunk-bag-exp-side-panniers.jpg

Awesome setup Eddie! I love how you got that little stem-bag on the top tube to nearly match the color patterns on the frame! I had something like this once, was called a "Goodie Box" and you could even put your phone inside with a clear panel for seeing the time or playing music. The TimBuk2 version I had was a bit more expensive (but came in cool colors). There are more generic ones that are cheaper.

timbuk2-goodie-box-cell-phone-bag.jpg

Whilst I was using the NEO Xtrem for commuting duties I fitted a Topeak Super Tourist DX rack in conjunction with a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag EXP with Side Panniers.

It didn't really add any significant weight to the bike, was quick to install and remove, worked with the rear disc set up, and the slide on/off bag with side panniers was brilliant.

I have just been out and weighed the rack, and according to my scales, it weighs 875 grams (1.92Ibs)

View attachment 214

View attachment 213
Eddie,
Nice bike. How did you like the Xtreme?

Awesome video Dave, thanks for sharing that! I love the design of the Arkel Roadrunner rack... Mounting to the seat bars is genius, keeps it straight and adds strength and stability. It would be cool if they had a side-bar option to keep panniers from swinging into the wheels. Maybe they are purposely trying to discourage panniers with this thing as they can get heavier and that might overload the seat post and seat tube?

The Topeak rack and MTX Trunk Pannier Bag is now fitted to the rack.

The bag is fitted via a rail, which means that it can be removed within seconds.
As a product I'd struggle to find fault with both the design and quality. Not the cheapest bit of kit on the market, but to my mind, it's worth every penny.

topeak-rack-on-haibike.jpg topeak-panniers-on-haibike-electric-bike.jpg

That's an awesome setup Eddie, I like how the bag unfurls to offer pannier storage space and the rack has protective rails to keep them from swinging into the tires and spokes. Good choice and thanks for the pics!

Coming from a touring background I am a big fan of Tubus racks, a German brand. These are probably more expensive racks but are very strong and light even though they are made of steel. I have a Tubus Cargo Expedition on my Surly Long Haul Trucker but that is probably overkill for a commuter bike.

tubus-cargo-rack-surly-lht.jpg

As I am planning to add a e-Bike to my fleet I am looking at racks for it and whilst I will go with a Tubus rack, I have yet to decided which option but my short list is an Airy if the bike is non-disc and a Disco if I go with disc bike. Whilst I will purchase from a German retailer such as (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) I understand that Wayne at the Touring Store also carries them.

Regards
Andrew

For the E3 Dash-
Here is the Topeak Explorer rack with the MTX EXP. I probably would have installed the SuperTourist and the next size up MTX bag if I had done more research but I'm really happy with this setup. I attached the bag to the seatpost bolt and that works well and doesn't require as much bending of the supports, but the lugs would work also. Very easy installation.

The seat bolt diameter was larger than the hole in the rack support so I had to bore it out a bit, drill required.

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 4.JPG

I have been trying to find the right size of bag for my E3 Dash. Amazon is great but it doesn't show dimensions well.

I orderd this one first
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-RX-Tru...14069174&sr=1-9&keywords=Topeak+MTX+Trunk+Bag

It looked nice on Amazon and I thought it would do it for commuting. There no way to get an iPad Air in any place.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Trunk-...14069024&sr=1-1&keywords=Topeak+MTX+Trunk+Bag

This one looks much bette, but might be to big. I will post some picture next to each other to give you an idea.
IMG_0850 copy.jpg
IMG_0852 copy.jpg
IMG_0853 copy.jpg
IMG_0855 copy copy.jpg
IMG_0858 copy.jpg
MTX DXP.jpg

I have a question: If/when you stop to run an errand, say in a store as an example, do you then take off all the bags from your bike and take them with you into the store? I realize for grocery panniers that's the way to do it, but what about trunk bags and other panniers? Remove them each time you have to make a stop that involves you being away from your bike for more than 5 min?

I have been trying to find the right size of bag for my E3 Dash. Amazon is great but it doesn't show dimensions well.

I orderd this one first
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-RX-Trunk-Bag-DXP/dp/B0022K97LE/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414069174&sr=1-9&keywords=Topeak MTX Trunk Bag

It looked nice on Amazon and I thought it would do it for commuting. There no way to get an iPad Air in any place.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Trunk-Bicycle-Molded-Panels/dp/B000ZKES0S/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414069024&sr=1-1&keywords=Topeak MTX Trunk Bag

This one looks much bette, but might be to big. I will post some picture next to each other to give you an idea. View attachment 1818 View attachment 1819 View attachment 1820 View attachment 1821 View attachment 1822 View attachment 1823

Just post the dimensions of the iPad Air and I will check my MTX DXP trunkbag. I carry an Eagle Creek Pack-it Folder with my clean clothes for the week, it is 12" x 18" and about 4" of it sticks out of the top. Needs a rain cover these days.
Suggest Supertourist rack but Explorer rack is what I have and it is fine.

Mr. Powerme, I flipped up the bottom pad of the bag and drilled a 1/4"+ hole in the hard plastic section up forward by the release, and I drilled and tapped 1/4 x 20tpi the rack below it. I put a 1/4 x 20tpi bolt through the whole thing, because it just seemed too easy for someone to quick-release the bag off the rack and stroll away with it. Lot of times I just finger tighten it, theory is they aren't going to investigate very far to figure out the bolt. But you could use a round head hex bolt and hide the hex key or carry it.

If I have much of value I do detach and carry.

I have a question: If/when you stop to run an errand, say in a store as an example, do you then take off all the bags from your bike and take them with you into the store? I realize for grocery panniers that's the way to do it, but what about trunk bags and other panniers? Remove them each time you have to make a stop that involves you being away from your bike for more than 5 min?
That is a good questions. I got my bike last week and the bags on Monday. Did have real life experience yet. I guess it depends on where you park and how safe the area is and what is in the bag. I will try to use my cable look for those moments if there is nothing of value in.

Back