Rear rack for a Haibike fatsix 6.0

Fat6

Hello, I'm looking for a rear rack that will mount on a Haibike Fatsix 6.0. This bike does not have eyelets near the rear axle. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Hi Fat6,
You would have gotten more views of this post had you posted it in the Haibike forum page. Anyways, give a call to Old Man Mountain Products and tell them what you've got.

I have a Full FatSix myself and am readying to get funding together to purchase a rear rack for the bike. I have the Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa front rack installed on my bike and it has been great. Plans are to get the rear Fat Sherpa rack for the bike.

I am not positive, but I believe your rear triangle dimensions are the same as mine, as in being 197mm x M12xP1.75 axle. But double check the specs page in Courts review and test of the FatSix, located on this site to confirm the dimensions. You need them to ensure the correct Robert Axle Project rear axle is provided and/or available for the FatSix.

The OMM rack has it's full weight on the axle (very desirable) and the rack is stablized with aluminum stays that will connect to the rear triangle downtubes via rubber insulated clamps. Here's a pic of my Full FatSix front rack made for the Bluto. I replaced the plain steel hardware supplied by OMM with marine grade stainless steel, including those clamps, nuts and screws. I had the bottom brackets and support struts professionally powder coated.

Come on over to the Haibike forum and post up some pics. I like that FatSix, based on Court's review.
Mike

Attachments

• 100_2497.JPG
    100_2497.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,840
  • 100_2493.JPG
    100_2493.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4,012
  • 100_2492.JPG
    100_2492.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,236
  • 100_2491.JPG
    100_2491.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,159
Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,
Great information and I really appreciate it. We have the same bike and I absolutely love it.
I found a good rear cargo rack that fits the fatsix, the Axiom Fatliner, just need to order a seat post adapter and it is good to go. I like your front rack, that may be my next ad.
Hope to get some pictures of it soon, it was to muddy last weekend. Once I have rack on I will post some pics.

Thanks,
Joel

Hi Joel,
That's a nice looking rack, the Axiom. Unfortunately it does not appear that it has a thru-axle compatible lower leg bracket made for it; after looking at their website and a trusted, large online bike shop that sells all of their products. After getting my Full FatSix, I was determined to go for the Surly Nice Rear racks; racks that I had installed earlier on my Specialized Fatboy onto this new Haibike. I was new to all of this thru-axle business, the Fatboy being a quick release skewer set up as well as having threaded riv nuts in the lower stays that allowed attaching the lower leg stanchions of the Surly Nice rack. After looking at every available rack on the market and knowing I did not want to jury rig an attaching point that may or may not hold up under the weight of gear on the rack, I ran across the OMM set up via the MTBR website.

I got to thinking what it would take to use the Fatliner rack in conjunction with the purpose built Robert Axle Project thru axle for our bikes along with the OMM leg mounts that attach to this axle..... And a look on the website shows these individual pieces are not available; it all comes in a complete rack/brackets/thru axle package. Oh well, sigh... Even the Robert Axle Project says OMM is the only thru axle game on the market. https://robertaxleproject.com/cargo-racks/

Joel, I write this not because I have any interest in OMM; I have none. It's written as a person who has gone down the road you are about to go down and just want to save you the time, money and aggravation that awaits. The real issue for us rack types is that the bicycle manufacturers have done a poor job in providing mounts built into the frame to accept the simple 5mm cap screws that hold down 99.99% of the racks out there on the market. And it's very important from a safety factor that the rack is secure on the bike; that it can hold the weight we put on it and the hardware that holds it all together can take the load! :)

Best Regards,
Mike

Hi Fat6,
You would have gotten more views of this post had you posted it in the Haibike forum page. Anyways, give a call to Old Man Mountain Products and tell them what you've got.

I have a Full FatSix myself and am readying to get funding together to purchase a rear rack for the bike. I have the Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa front rack installed on my bike and it has been great. Plans are to get the rear Fat Sherpa rack for the bike.

I am not positive, but I believe your rear triangle dimensions are the same as mine, as in being 197mm x M12xP1.75 axle. But double check the specs page in Courts review and test of the FatSix, located on this site to confirm the dimensions. You need them to ensure the correct Robert Axle Project rear axle is provided and/or available for the FatSix.

The OMM rack has it's full weight on the axle (very desirable) and the rack is stablized with aluminum stays that will connect to the rear triangle downtubes via rubber insulated clamps. Here's a pic of my Full FatSix front rack made for the Bluto. I replaced the plain steel hardware supplied by OMM with marine grade stainless steel, including those clamps, nuts and screws. I had the bottom brackets and support struts professionally powder coated.

Come on over to the Haibike forum and post up some pics. I like that FatSix, based on Court's review.
Mike

Really like the OMM attach points on the front end. a very sturdy and reliable look. I also see this company does their homework with design and simplicity of setup. Would like to see a pic for the rear if/when you get it setup. These racks look very well built for max capacity!

Hi Joel,
That's a nice looking rack, the Axiom. Unfortunately it does not appear that it has a thru-axle compatible lower leg bracket made for it; after looking at their website and a trusted, large online bike shop that sells all of their products. After getting my Full FatSix, I was determined to go for the Surly Nice Rear racks; racks that I had installed earlier on my Specialized Fatboy onto this new Haibike. I was new to all of this thru-axle business, the Fatboy being a quick release skewer set up as well as having threaded riv nuts in the lower stays that allowed attaching the lower leg stanchions of the Surly Nice rack. After looking at every available rack on the market and knowing I did not want to jury rig an attaching point that may or may not hold up under the weight of gear on the rack, I ran across the OMM set up via the MTBR website.

I got to thinking what it would take to use the Fatliner rack in conjunction with the purpose built Robert Axle Project thru axle for our bikes along with the OMM leg mounts that attach to this axle..... And a look on the website shows these individual pieces are not available; it all comes in a complete rack/brackets/thru axle package. Oh well, sigh... Even the Robert Axle Project says OMM is the only thru axle game on the market. https://robertaxleproject.com/cargo-racks/

Joel, I write this not because I have any interest in OMM; I have none. It's written as a person who has gone down the road you are about to go down and just want to save you the time, money and aggravation that awaits. The real issue for us rack types is that the bicycle manufacturers have done a poor job in providing mounts built into the frame to accept the simple 5mm cap screws that hold down 99.99% of the racks out there on the market. And it's very important from a safety factor that the rack is secure on the bike; that it can hold the weight we put on it and the hardware that holds it all together can take the load! :)

Best Regards,
Mike
Hi Joel,

Best Regards,
Mike

Mike,
I really appreciate your detailed information, you obviously are very thorough when you approach a project. I agree completely that a axle mounted rack is the way to go. I chose to take this route do to running out of time. I will review the link you attached.

Changing the subject a little, I see you have logged 5000 miles on your bike. Just curious if you had to replace the battery or any other failures with your bike?

Thanks,
Joel

I second the Old Man Mountain racks for fat bikes. I use a rear one on my full-suspension Haibike AllMtn which uses plus-size tires, i.e. 27.5 wheels and 3-inch wide tires. Very few other racks have the clearance or mount as solidly. The thru-axle mount of the OMM racks makes them very sturdy and capable of carrying a lot of weight. My Ortleib bags are usually full of professional photo equipment plus a heavy tripod on top of the rack. I also carry a heavy duty U-lock and cable, a bike pump, and bike tools. Be sure to call Channing Hammond (805-692-9950) to discuss your needs. Some of the things I needed, which he deduced from our talk, were not in the website.

Mike,
I really appreciate your detailed information, you obviously are very thorough when you approach a project. I agree completely that a axle mounted rack is the way to go. I chose to take this route do to running out of time. I will review the link you attached.

Changing the subject a little, I see you have logged 5000 miles on your bike. Just curious if you had to replace the battery or any other failures with your bike?

Thanks,
Joel
Hi Joel,
Appreciate the kind words very much. :) Every bike I've owned since the 1980's have had either a rear rack or a combination of front and rear racks in order to carry pannier type bags. I don't get why a company like Haibike completely dismisses the idea of rack mounts for their mountain bikes. It sure seems they figure if folks want bags, they'll have to go the bikepacking bag configurations that are out there on the market. I'm not a fan of those bags; too much weight on the rear saddle post and it becomes a tail wagging the dog kind of thing. Bikepacking to me represents bare boned minimalist camping potential. I like room for my stuff.

I just turned 5700 miles yesterday with a 20 mile ride on HIGH power on the sugar sand roads of the NJ Pine Barrens! This Full FatSix has the Yamaha PW drive system and 400wh battery. Aside from flat tires (I have recently converted over to a tubeless set up using Orange Seal so the verdict is still out on that), I've had absolutely no failures or glitches or hiccups of the drive system or the battery. None.

After every ride, I wipe it down, inspect it, take the battery off and put it on charge so it's ready for the next ride. I use Dupont ChainSaver teflon dry lubricant on the chain and I apply a drop to each link before each ride and give the chain a wipe of any excess lube. I could stand to check for chain stretch; so a chain guage is on the need to get list.

I think the key to the miles is first off, having a well made bike built to last; a bullet proof drive system and battery and replacing components with the best your budget allows. I don't "catch air" with this bike nor do I ford rivers and streams. It's not put away "wet". Shock pressures are checked most every ride as well as tire pressures. Here's some pics from yesterday's ride....

Post up some pics of your bike & ride areas when you get the chance!

Attachments

• 100_3483.JPG
    100_3483.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,835
  • 100_3487.JPG
    100_3487.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 639
  • 100_3491.JPG
    100_3491.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 805
  • 100_3494.JPG
    100_3494.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,886
Hi Mike,
Great, I'm very excited to get my bike out this coming weekend and see how many miles I can get out of the battery, most my riding will be on old logging roads so I expect to running in standard or high power.

Thanks,
Joel

I just bought a 2018 Haibike XDURO Fatsix 9.0. I want to install front and rear racks. I have the Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa on my Felt Outfitter and I love them, but OMM is not taking any orders anymore. Does anyone know where I can get a set of them from a deal with old stock or even some used ones? Or does anyone have an idea on a comparable rack from another manufacturer?

Attachments

• Haibike_2018_XDURO_FatSix_90-1024x646.jpg
    Haibike_2018_XDURO_FatSix_90-1024x646.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 467
Hi Myke,
I had zero luck communicating with Channing Hammond of OMM, so I kept a close eye on Ebay and was able to find a Phat Sherpa that fit a Salsa Mukluk. Lucky for me, I had a pair of extra lower legs that he had sent me in a snafu involving my purchase of the front rack from him that was fitted for the Bluto fork.

After talking with the Robert Axle Project folks, they advised me as to what rear thru axle I needed for the 197mm Haibike rear. Little bit of powder coating; replacing the OMM plain steel parts for stainless and I was in business. The finished rack project, front and rear is pictured below.....

Another idea would be to have a weld shop fabricate 4 lower rack mount legs, using your Outfitter parts as templates out of 5/16 or 3/8 inch thick aluminum. Axles could be procured via Robert Axle Project. Note: if you are running a Bluto or RST fork on your Haibike; you'd have to find that Robert Axle made for the Bluto; a bit different then the rear in how the front lower legs attach to the axle. If you need them to understand what I'm referring to, let me know. I can take some photos of how the front rack is attached to that front axle and get them posted here in a day or so.....

Attachments

• 100_3776.JPG
    100_3776.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,883
  • 100_3779.JPG
    100_3779.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 768
  • 100_3762.JPG
    100_3762.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 586
  • 100_3765.JPG
    100_3765.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 630
Hi Myke,
I had zero luck communicating with Channing Hammond of OMM, so I kept a close eye on Ebay and was able to find a Phat Sherpa that fit a Salsa Mukluk. Lucky for me, I had a pair of extra lower legs that he had sent me in a snafu involving my purchase of the front rack from him that was fitted for the Bluto fork.

After talking with the Robert Axle Project folks, they advised me as to what rear thru axle I needed for the 197mm Haibike rear. Little bit of powder coating; replacing the OMM plain steel parts for stainless and I was in business. The finished rack project, front and rear is pictured below.....

Another idea would be to have a weld shop fabricate 4 lower rack mount legs, using your Outfitter parts as templates out of 5/16 or 3/8 inch thick aluminum. Axles could be procured via Robert Axle Project. Note: if you are running a Bluto or RST fork on your Haibike; you'd have to find that Robert Axle made for the Bluto; a bit different then the rear in how the front lower legs attach to the axle. If you need them to understand what I'm referring to, let me know. I can take some photos of how the front rack is attached to that front axle and get them posted here in a day or so.....

Where did you get the clamps for the front forks and the rear frame rails? BTW SWEET BIKE!!

Where did you get the clamps for the front forks and the rear frame rails? BTW SWEET BIKE!!

Front and rear cushion clamps (aka aircraft clamps) were sized up with my handy Harbor Freight digital caliper and purchased off Ebay. Ancor Stainless Steel Cushion Clamps (versus the junk, plain steel clamps OMM supplies with their kits)

The hardware as well are stainless steel (nylock nuts, flat washers, black nylon washers and truss head screws) were ebay sourced and purchased.

I had the OMM plain aluminum stays and lower rack support legs powder coated matte black.

Appreciate the compliments very much! I find the Full FatSix and FatSix (as well as the Outfitter and other similiar mid to high end e fat bikes) to be the best all-around bike anyone can want. I actually have more asphalt road surface miles on this bike then I do off road. But this bike is capable of pretty much going anywhere on or off road so long as the motor is kept high and dry. The same cannot be said of a skinnier tired e-mtb bike or commuter style bike! Adding racks and pannier bags just increases the incredible utility of the e-fat bike...in my opinion.

Good luck, looking forward to what you do with your FatSix! Post up some pics of that Outfitter, if you can. I like that one alot and it's a shame that it appears it is no longer produced by Felt. Before stumbling on a great deal for this Full FatSix, it was a coin flip on whether to go with the FatSix or Outfitter.

Hi everyone, you are all healthy and getting some adventures in during these strange times. I’m a new member here, just got myself the 2020 full fat six 10.0 came to this forum searching for rear racks for full suspension fat bikes, very happy to find a rack system on the same model of bike.
OMM it is then! Looking at their website now, it a bit confusing working out the fitting kit needed.
is it the seat stay attachment I need?

thanks in advance, I’m loving the bike, feel it’s going to be perfect for my adventures on Dartmoor in Devon, England.

Attachments

• D8FFEBFF-F18D-46EF-9E09-8ADF037B8FD5.jpeg
    D8FFEBFF-F18D-46EF-9E09-8ADF037B8FD5.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 420
  • 821AD6BD-FA6E-41DC-9400-BD8540009300.jpeg
    821AD6BD-FA6E-41DC-9400-BD8540009300.jpeg
    711.2 KB · Views: 400
  • 0412D657-69AF-4765-9CD5-BC8613F2C2D4.jpeg
    0412D657-69AF-4765-9CD5-BC8613F2C2D4.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 370
Hi Woodsmoke, congrats on that new Full FatSix, you're gonna have lots of fun with her in that kind of environment you've shown us!

Using the OMM website, typing in Haibike, FatBike, Rear Rack, they are showing you need a KIT807, which includes the following:

• Thru Axle: 12 mm thru axle with 217 to 229 mm length and x 1.75 mm thread pitch.
  • Pair of 5" Dropouts. Attach the rack frame to thru axle to fit all fat bike tire sizes.
  • Pair of 14" extenders. Stabilize and level the rack.
  • Pair of OMM Pucks. Mount to the fork to provide an upper attachment point for the rack.
  • Stainless steel mounting hardware.
I'm gonna assume that the 230 us dollars price includes that fit kit along with the rear rack. But best to confirm with OMM.

Hi mike, thanks for getting back to me, I was hoping to speak to you as I saw your pictures on here while searching through google for racks for guy suspension bikes.
The fitting kit you suggested says ‘mount to the fork’ In the description?
With the fitting kit you used you were able to work around the shifter and rear break cables ok?
how has it stood the test of time off road. Do the seat stay mounds hold fast?! The thru axle design of the OMM rack seems like the strongest looking rack mount I’ve seen.

I suggest you email OMM with any questions, they will get back to you right away and the customer service is excellent now that they are under new ownership. I also have the OMM rack and it is extremely well designed. I take it over bumpy trails and it holds fine.

I would suggest you follow the instructions in the manual and routinely check that all the bolts are torqued to spec.

I suggest you email OMM with any questions, they will get back to you right away and the customer service is excellent now that they are under new ownership. I also have the OMM rack and it is extremely well designed. I take it over bumpy trails and it holds fine.

I would suggest you follow the instructions in the manual and routinely check that all the bolts are torqued to spec.
Good shout, I’ll do that, Thanks for your reply, I can ask about shipping to the uk at the same time!

Back