Rear ended with bike rack

hurricane56

Last week I got rear ended by a person driving a pickup truck following me way to closely. Luckily, there were no injuries as I was one car in a four car collision. The bike rack was empty at the time, folded up and tucked up in the storage position. Seeing as this rack, a 1up EquipD, took a big part of the impact, I'm assuming that it's a write off, even though it looks and functions normally?

For anyone that's been rear ended with a bike rack installed, does the at fault party typically pay for damage to these type of accessories?

Last week I got rear ended by a person driving a pickup truck following me way to closely. Luckily, there were no injuries as I was one car in a four car collision. The bike rack was empty at the time, folded up and tucked up in the storage position. Seeing as this rack, a 1up EquipD, took a big part of the impact, I'm assuming that it's a write off, even though it looks and functions normally?

For anyone that's been rear ended with a bike rack installed, does the at fault party typically pay for damage to these type of accessories?
I had a special class 5 heavy duty hitch installed on a pickup truck and I was rear ended. The hitch installed was about $1500. The driver had Nationwide Insurance and my hitch was covered and replaced. This was about 8 years ago.

Of course, they have to pay for any damages.

I have a rack on my full suspension bike. If you like it and can find out what brand it is. Sorry for the poor memory

Attachments

• 729985CB-A82E-4C1D-8A8A-B2E3E5E1B561.jpeg
    729985CB-A82E-4C1D-8A8A-B2E3E5E1B561.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 382
I think if that's the only damage I might hesitate to file a claim with the ins. company. For starters I carry 1000. deductable to keep the costs under control. It may be less expensive to just replace the rack.

To tell if it's capable of being put back in service, you would look for any kinks in the tubing. Is so, there's a good chance it could cause trouble when you least expect it. If you doubt your ability to be the judge, a local bike shop might be willing to give you a hand, or even a body shop.

There should be no deductible against you if the other driver was ticketed. Take you vehicle to an auto body shop and let them look it over. Could easily be frame damage from the hitch being shoved forward. BUT all advice given is off if the driver did not have insurance. We were rear ended twice in 18 months. First one was easy, guy had State Farm. Covered everything including a free rental car during the repair. Zero cost to us. Second A-Hole did not have insurance. Cost us the $500 deductible with the promise that our insurance company would stay vigilant and pay us if they ever recoup their expenses. Cost our insurance company $4,700 to repair the car. Not expecting our $500 to ever be repaid. Contact your insurance company for sure. It costs you nothing if it goes south and you cancel the claim.

Just got off the phone with the adjuster and all my car accessories are covered. The hitch receiver is going to be replaced by the body shop and I can just purchase a new rack and submit the invoice.

This collision resulted in $20k of damages to my car alone. Everyone drive safely out there and watch out for people that tailgate. Even people that aren’t tailgating might not realize how little time they have to stop if something interrupts the traffic flow.

Holy cow. I was thinking of a little fender bender with minor damage to the rack. Sounds lie you had a LOT bigger hit than that!

Yeah, basically it was raining and a guy behind me, only about 2-3 car lengths following pushed me into stopped traffic. Both front airbags deployed, most of the rear facia gone, plus the cooling system and HAVC system. This was on an almost new car, 2019 MY with 5k miles. I likely totaled the guy that I got pushed into. Hopefully the guy behind me has good insurance because his policy is going to have to pay out for at least my repairs and the guy that was in front of my SUV.

Back