Rear brake disk rotates free, what kind of setup is it? Lockring? Screws?

ebikerr

Region
USA
IMG_8365.jpg

I see screw holes on the disk rotor. But the ring says "Lock".
I have zero braking action as the rotor rotates free w.r.t the wheel.

If its screw holes then all screws fell off? Or were they never there and it was friction holding all the time.

If its a lockring, even when not fully tight the splines should not allow free rotation. So something gone bad?

I have contacted priority though for warranty support, lets see

I have asked priority this exact question. They are going to send me a lock ring, but if its a wrong rotor they installed, then its a problem. I was lucky this failed at slow speeds.

Wow thats a new one. Yeah it sure does look as if some factory worker just friction-fit a bolt-on rotor to a center-lock hub. Here's an adapter that is used to convert a center-lock hub to use a bolt-on rotor. I have used them myself when the hub I want doesn't have the right (for me I prefer bolt-on) brake adapter. One of them has been on for years and has happily survived wearing out the rotor. Amazon tells me I bought this particular one in 2020. Its very likely that they used only some of the parts needed on your bike. You probably have the adapter on there (lock ring) without the piece in the middle that bolts into the rotor holes.

EDIT: That DT Swiss adapter @fooferdoggie linked above is only supposed to be used with rotors UP TO 160mm in width. We can expect no one on this forum to have a rotor that small. The adapter I linked above is actually in use on a couple of my bikes and both use DT Swiss 350 Classic hubs. 203mm rotors. Maybe the 160mm limit is put there by DT's lawyers and its fine for bigger rotors. But... I am actually not crazy about that DT design as it uses very small pins vs. the usual adapters like what I linked.

Last edited:
Hmmm, they are sending me lockring and "another part". I am guessing they are probably sending me the "adapter".

From their website they have two types

1. E-bike specific Shimano Inter-5 internal hub -> Centerlock
  2. enviolo Sportive -> 6-bolt

So I have the Shimano. Its possible they use 6 bolt everwhere and then just use the adapter on the shimano

Hmmm, they are sending me lockring and "another part". I am guessing they are probably sending me the "adapter".

From their website they have two types

1. E-bike specific Shimano Inter-5 internal hub -> Centerlock
  2. enviolo Sportive -> 6-bolt

So I have the Shimano. Its possible they use 6 bolt everwhere and then just use the adapter on the shimano
Yeah I am betting you got a centerlock hub and 2 out of 3 of the parts needed for the adapter. @fooferdoggie diagnosed this right on the money from what I am seeing.

This is what Priority says

THe Adapter fits the 6 bols to center lock then the locking holds everything together. I'm replacing those two parts. I have it packed 2 day air waiting for pick up.

They are sending me both the adapter and the center lock ring

Wow thats a new one. Yeah it sure does look as if some factory worker just friction-fit a bolt-on rotor to a center-lock hub. Here's an adapter that is used to convert a center-lock hub to use a bolt-on rotor. I have used them myself when the hub I want doesn't have the right (for me I prefer bolt-on) brake adapter. One of them has been on for years and has happily survived wearing out the rotor. Amazon tells me I bought this particular one in 2020. Its very likely that they used only some of the parts needed on your bike. You probably have the adapter on there (lock ring) without the piece in the middle that bolts into the rotor holes.

EDIT: That DT Swiss adapter @fooferdoggie linked above is only supposed to be used with rotors UP TO 160mm in width. We can expect no one on this forum to have a rotor that small. The adapter I linked above is actually in use on a couple of my bikes and both use DT Swiss 350 Classic hubs. 203mm rotors. Maybe the 160mm limit is put there by DT's lawyers and its fine for bigger rotors. But... I am actually not crazy about that DT design as it uses very small pins vs. the usual adapters like what I linked.
thats a good catch. on the disc size I was more after a pic. myself I would get the right rotor its a much better choice. I sure like centerlock hubs. but there are two different nuts. there is a inside nut that uses a cassette removal tool and one with outsides notches that needs a bottom bracket tool. the nut on the pic is the cassette removal tool. this would work for the brake and removing the cassette.

This is what Priority says

THe Adapter fits the 6 bols to center lock then the locking holds everything together. I'm replacing those two parts. I have it packed 2 day air waiting for pick up.

They are sending me both the adapter and the center lock ring
if it is the same one on the bike now you would be good to get this set.
or get the cassette removal tool and a good large crescent wrench. you want to tighten the ring really right.

Priority wants me to go to a bike shop once I get the parts and then send them the bill and they will refund!
that works. its not hard to do but you have to buy tools to do it. its just an amazing screwup. if the same person assembled the rest of the bike I would worry about it.

I mean how drunk or high do you have to be to manage this?
Minimum wage Chinese factory worker on the job Day 1. Or just doesn't care as the friction fit will look good enough and no one will know he slacked off for months.
myself I would get the right rotor its a much better choice
I hear that, but having done it a couple of times myself on two different rear DT hubs, its been fine. Not something I'm concerned with at all ... but only because of the post-use experience. In my case I was building custom wheels with hard-to-find hubs and it was a question of getting the center lock hub or getting nothing... The rotors I insist on using are very specific. 2.3mm thick, 203mm dia., inexpensive but top of the line for durability. And they are 6-bolt so thats that.

Priority sent me the parts and asked me to go to local bike shop. However when we opened up the wheel they said it cannot be installed as the hub threads are damaged.
The bike shop also said that the part used is very poor quality and showed me Shimano OEM part which is supposed to be used with Shimano hubs. Did not expect this from a 3000$ bike.

I will need a new hub (a new wheel probably? )

I am worried if this breaks again, since it does seem to be not a very well thought out design?

Attachments

• IMG_8384.jpg
    IMG_8384.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8388.jpg
    IMG_8388.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 162

EDIT: That DT Swiss adapter @fooferdoggie linked above is only supposed to be used with rotors UP TO 160mm in width. We can expect no one on this forum to have a rotor that small. The adapter I linked above is actually in use on a couple of my bikes and both use DT Swiss 350 Classic hubs. 203mm rotors. Maybe the 160mm limit is put there by DT's lawyers and it’s fine for bigger rotors. But... I am actually not crazy about that DT design as it uses very small pins vs. the usual adapters like what I linked.
My Specialized Turbo Creo SL has 160mm rotors. I’ll admit, 160mm does sound small and I had to give it some thought, but I figured at the price they’re charging, it must be ok. 😂 Honestly, I’ve not noticed any problem at all. It stops just fine, and doesn’t fade out on hills or anything.

My Specialized Turbo Creo SL has 160mm rotors. I’ll admit, 160mm does sound small and I had to give it some thought, but I figured at the price they’re charging, it must be ok. 😂 Honestly, I’ve not noticed any problem at all. It stops just fine, and doesn’t fade out on hills or anything.
I have 180mm front/160mm rear rotors on several e-bikes(including some around 1500W) and have probably 10k miles combined...no issues. I brake hard all the time. In fact, I practice maximum braking stops several times a ride, including downhills approaching 40mph.

Last edited:
I have asked them about new wheel. They do seem bummed that the bike shop charged me 40$ to remove wheel inspect and then say its cannot be fixed without a new rear wheel. I guess bike shops do charge labor even if something is unfixable due to no fault of theirs.

Went to Off Ramp in Santa Clara.

WFT why don't they just send you a centerlock rotor instead of an adapter? And a gift card. That's just all kinds of sketchy.

Err didn't read all the way down. Sounds like they owe you a wheel too.

Yes, they are sending a wheel. I asked for an assembled wheel with ROTOR so I can fix it myself, but they are sending just the bare wheel and I will use my old rotor.
So I have to go to the bike shop.

Back