Rating you preferred eBike repair Facility.

Urbancowboy

Region
Canada
Perhaps I am mistaken, but for some reason I thought Bike and eBike users are more Environmentally friendly People. What I mean with that is if a part on you Bike fails, I would expect an Environmentally responsible Person expect to try to have it repaired instead of just exchanged. Of course cost efficiency comes also into play but just throwing something out into the Landfill which could be repaired may does not mesh well with many of our Community, what do you think ?

I don't ride ebikes to be green. I ride them because I'm old and they make it easier. I repair my own and I'm not particularly green either. I do save all my old bike parts, as they are often reusable, like handlebars, seats, brake parts, etc. Things like steel rims that no one wants are quickly picked up by scrappers.

Recycling of lithium batteries needs work. There is a network of locations that will take old ebike batteries but they only accept known popular brand batteries. I agree it is folly to accept an unknown battery as it is a fire risk, but I bet over half of the ebike batteries in North America cannot be easily recycled.

Totally reasonable, we are on the same page. Unfortunately way to many of the younger People, to me those are the 50 and younger ones never learned and/or had the opportunity or desire to repair anything. I know for a Fact that my Wife appreciates the fact that if the Dryer breaks down, a Dog leash has to be repaired or Oil to be changed in our Automobiles, her Hubby is up to the Task. To me that is being truly Green.

I changed my own oil for decades. Everything else too. Last brake job was 2009 on my Audi. That's not being green. It's being cheap, but it was also fun. Tell your car buddies that you're swapping a motor and you get lots of help. Just have pizza/beer afterwards.

These days. no more heavy lifting. I pay for car repairs.

engine10.JPG

Attachments

• engine_in.JPG
    engine_in.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I changed my own oil for decades. Everything else too. Last brake job was 2009 on my Audi. That's not being green. It's being cheap, but it was also fun. Tell your car buddies that you're swapping a motor and you get lots of help. Just have pizza/beer afterwards.

These days. no more heavy lifting. I pay for car repairs.

View attachment 178095View attachment 178096
OK you may think you where/are frugal but have you thought about by repairing things, you probably leaned towards purchasing Parts which could be repaired and that would eventually backfeed to the Designers/ Engineers/Manufacturers. Therefore one can use his/her Wallet in whatever small way to steer them towards being Green. If Government passed a Law demanding eBikes must work without mayor repairs at least 10 Years, Greed would make Manufacturers comply.

I one hundred percent agree with The Right to Repair. I am my own repair shop. Some things I can fix, some things I can’t.

I rate myself 7/10 - needs more YouTube.

Though, I’m with Harry. I would pay for more difficult repairs. Heck, even repairs that would take up too much of my time.

Well, if the Repair required is mechanical, time permitting I prefer doing it myself. However if its electronics I leave it to the "Experts" if there is a Shop around with a Qualified Expert interested in the work. And here is the Rub, how do you know for sure he knows what he is doing ???????????

Cheers

I can do most fixes since I grew up riding bikes, mini bikes and motocross bikes. You tend to have to learn how to do the basics if you want to go riding with the boys. These days as my teeth lengthen, I tend to do the basics here at home and anything strenuous or difficult that I cant figure out with a Youtube video, I take to Bikes and Brews. They fix while I drink!

I worked part time as a bike mechanic and am a retired electrical engineer, so I'm able to do all my own work. I'm hours away from the nearest LBS that works on e-bikes, so it's a bit of a necessity.

The trick is to get a bike you can cobble on, without a bunch of proprietary crap.

I worked part time as a bike mechanic and am a retired electrical engineer, so I'm able to do all my own work. I'm hours away from the nearest LBS that works on e-bikes, so it's a bit of a necessity.

The trick is to get a bike you can cobble on, without a bunch of proprietary crap.
eBike Mechanics with your experience and professional Background are not likely what the average Bike Shop could afford. If you would run your own Show, I bet People would beat a Path to your Door.

eBike Mechanics with your experience and professional Background are not likely what the average Bike Shop could afford. If you would run your own Show, I bet People would beat a Path to your Door.
I have worked on a few for friends, but mostly for fun. The general public wouldn't be able to find me, since I live in the middle of nowhere. Also, many makes are difficult to work on due to their proprietary nature. Bosch systems in particular. Special tools & equipment are necessary.

Back