Today on a fresh 100% charged battery I achieved 118 miles on a charge. (See original post at top for description of bike). The terrain was mostly flat, most of it along Pacific coast from Laguna Beach to Long Beach and back 2 times over two days. Had to ride last 12 miles to home with no power. Use assistance level 1 (Eco) for 96% of time, switch to level 2 to cover small hills.

Motor shut off at 118 miles. Without motor Hard to pedal due to weight and drag from motor, but very doable. My previous record was 116 miles on a change. I'm determined to get to 120 miles. Need to put in a little more effort and stay in Eco mode 100% of the time.

Last edited:
That's fantastic, Michael... I appreciate the data you are providing... my rides this weekend ran 60 miles/3000 ft of climbing, mostly in ECO mode with bursts up hills. (Ok, maybe I passed a few people in Power mode). Battery depleted about 5 miles from end. I am starting with about 86 miles indicated possible trip length. Sunday was with my club, 55 miles total. mostly flat terrain no headwinds, As this was a relaxed ride, I was able to turn off the motor for about 32 miles and kept a pace of 14-18 mph... The ride home was on Active mode and I still have about 10% left. I weigh 167lbs. The bike rides pretty nicely without power on the flats...

Sedona, glad to provide the info. Our bikes , with the Yamaha mid drive are excellent. If you are able to pedal 32 miles at 14-18 without power, your in great shape, especially for your age and prior heart condition.

I enjoyed reading Micheal’s post and the responses. Out here in NC, almost no one rides e-bikes. At age 77, though, I don’t feel guilty. My bike is a DIY conversion (2017) from a 2002 Cannondale road bike. I’ve been fussing with gearing and other things for more than a year, using a front-wheel Bafang 250W motor. But the one constant I have is that I love riding it. I can manage my power to ride with regular biking buddies at 12-15mph (could go over 200 mi doing that), but when I’m riding solo I strive for a 20mph average. Great fun. But I’m thinking about buying a factory road bike.

Today on a fresh 100% charged battery I achieved 118 miles on a charge. (See original post at top for description of bike). The terrain was mostly flat, most of it along Pacific coast from Laguna Beach to Long Beach and back 2 times over two days. Had to ride last 12 miles to home with no power. Use assistance level 1 (Eco) for 96% of time, switch to level 2 to cover small hills.

Motor shut off at 118 miles. Without motor Hard to pedal due to weight and drag from motor, but very doable. My previous record was 116 miles on a change. I'm determined to get to 120 miles. Need to put in a little more effort and stay in Eco mode 100% of the time.
Been thinking about hypermiling techniques with my bikes. Sorry, but don't know what motor system is in your Giant. Does it has a wattage readout on the panel? What I'm thinking is that staying in Eco may not give you the lowest watts used. My Haibikes have torque sensing, and if I pedal harder in Eco, the wattage bar on the side of the display can go up pretty far. So without a more accurate meter, it would be nice to do some experimentation of using my Tour setting with less effort on the pedals. Just thinking out loud here.

I enjoyed reading Micheal’s post and the responses. Out here in NC, almost no one rides e-bikes. At age 77, though, I don’t feel guilty. My bike is a DIY conversion (2017) from a 2002 Cannondale road bike. I’ve been fussing with gearing and other things for more than a year, using a front-wheel Bafang 250W motor. But the one constant I have is that I love riding it. I can manage my power to ride with regular biking buddies at 12-15mph (could go over 200 mi doing that), but when I’m riding solo I strive for a 20mph average. Great fun. But I’m thinking about buying a factory road bike.
Where in NC are you? I'm down east in the coastal plains.

Back