Raising handlebars on my Rize Leisure Step

kahuna40

Hello all,

I went back and forth with Rize and they explained that I could not raise my handlebars anymore from what came in the box with my Rize Leisure Step. I have read you can get an aftermarket stem extender. The company said to be careful to not stretch out the brake lines but it seems like there is definitely enough slack to raise the bars a couple inches. I was just curious as to what I need to know to buy the correct stem extender for this bike. Any information would be helpful. I am 6'2" and although the bike is relatively upright I would like it a bit higher for comfort. How would you know if you are stretching the brake lines too much? I understand if they just run out of room, but is there an issue with taking up some of the slack of the lines to raise it up a couple inches?

It is an issue that my Trek guy warned us about when we put a new Bontrager adjustable stem on my wife’s new +7 Lowstep. Fortunately, his initial adjustment to the stem worked out fine for her. Another option to ponder is to add bar ends. I like having two levels to change between but you don’t have brake control from the top. I only use the higher position about 1/3 of the time on trails and uphill climbs.

Attachments

• 26BF6D18-8A4E-482F-8746-F25095648909.jpeg
    26BF6D18-8A4E-482F-8746-F25095648909.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 376
It is an issue that my Trek guy warned us about when we put a new Bontrager adjustable stem on my wife’s new +7 Lowstep. Fortunately, his initial adjustment to the stem worked out fine for her. Another option to ponder is to add bar ends. I like having two levels to change between but you don’t have brake control from the top. I only use the higher position about 1/3 of the time on trails and uphill climbs.
That is something I definitely never thought about. However I do have bar end mirrors which I would like to keep. Definitely an option if it turns out no other options will work.

That is something I definitely never thought about. However I do have bar end mirrors which I would like to keep. Definitely an option if it turns out no other options will work.
I still have my bar end mirror (Mirrycle) and it works great.

I raised the stem on an REI Co-Op Rev 16 kids bike earlier this summer using this stem riser. The only issue was I needed to use the extender on my socket wrench set to reach down inside the stem extender to tighten the bolt, a long Eklind brand T-handle Allen wrench from Amazon does the same job, then the existing handlebar stem clamps over the extender.

I had the same issue and used bar extenders in reverse position. Mine is a little different in that I use two piece extenders, which gives me a ton of position options and a ergnomic hand grip. My back, neck and wrists thank me for it ! $14
IMG_0751.jpg

The acid test would be the ability to turn the handlebars from lock to lock without stressing the brake lines or any of the cables.

FWIW, I'm your height and installed a 1.5" riser on my Rize Rx Pro. It works fine, but just barely. If I were to go any higher I think I'd have to replace at least the front brake line.

The more upright riding attitude is much more comfortable, and worth whatever you need to do to get there from my perspective... -Al

Hello all,

I went back and forth with Rize and they explained that I could not raise my handlebars anymore from what came in the box with my Rize Leisure Step. I have read you can get an aftermarket stem extender. The company said to be careful to not stretch out the brake lines but it seems like there is definitely enough slack to raise the bars a couple inches. I was just curious as to what I need to know to buy the correct stem extender for this bike. Any information would be helpful. I am 6'2" and although the bike is relatively upright I would like it a bit higher for comfort. How would you know if you are stretching the brake lines too much? I understand if they just run out of room, but is there an issue with taking up some of the slack of the lines to raise it up a couple inches?
Hello,
My wife and I both use stem or steering tube extenders. Take a look at those made by DELTA. Available at REI. There are a couple of different lengths. You might need to check the steering tube diameter. Once installed you just slide the stem up and down. My wife has hers moved to about the half-way position. I ride with it at the top-most position. Only a few dollars. If you are using flat bars that can take mountain bar extensions, you can remove the brake handles, shifters, etc. and slide a pair on and then replace the brake handles, grips and the like. Just turn the extension to face rearward like old style cruiser bars. You can even fit a lot of different grips on the extension. Gives you a more upright position and access to the flat bar grips too. It does kill the aerodynamics but it is really comfortable, especially with the DELTA extender. Hope this is some help.

Attachments

• 20201204_161200.jpg
    20201204_161200.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 415
  • 20201204_161220.jpg
    20201204_161220.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 388
Back