Radwagon worked for 5 miles :(

Good comments and advice today, thank you.
I agree, a new bike would be appreciated at this point, and I see they are down to 8 in stock.
I asked that they please at least hold one until I can install the motor, and see if it solves the issue.

I have, of course, unplugged and checked every connector.
I am not encouraged by the style of connectors they use.
many have extremely fine/thin pins & sockets. It's hard to even asses whether a pin might not be making proper contact, as the contact area could be extremely small.

Walan, you are the guy I would want working on my bike.
I agree, your method is definitely what's required to determine whether the wires are functioning properly.
To be fair, though, I feel that if it's a wiring issue, I shouldn't have to chase it down.

Now if I had some actual miles on this bike, I'd feel differently. But I do not feel like I should be doing unpaid research and diagnostics for the company, let alone buying equipment, at any cost, to do such.

My local bike shop is unfortunately run by someone I don't trust, hence the online ebike purchase.
And if it WAS a good shop, I'd certainly not want to pay more $ for them to diagnose problems on my brand new bike. RAD certainly hasn't offered to pay for that.

No tracking info for my motor assembly yet, which has me a bit concerned. The other two parts posted tracking numbers literally right after speaking with them. Hopefully, that was just an oversight, and my part is on it's way!

Thank you for all the comments and tips, very much appreciated.

Wow. So the part didn't ship last week...

I see that a shipping label was created on Fri the 1st (Cory sent a "A shipment is on the way" email), but they didn't get it on the truck Fri, so it has not entered the UPS system yet.
Also, looks like this one is shipping UPS Ground. So I won't have the part within 2 days after speaking with them (like the other 2 times). Despite the inconvenience of having to troubleshoot parts, I found the 48hr shipping to be a very professional effort, and much appreciated.

I understand that this larger part might be harder to ship, but I actually spoke with Cory about the 2-Day shipping, and how with that seeming to be the norm, would allow me to potentially fix & ride my bike for the holiday weekend. I figured there would be some mention at least, if they could not offer a similar shipping timeline.

Unfortunately , I live about as far as one can get from Rad, so via UPS Ground, I will maybe have this package by July 8th?(still not in the system this morning)....this after speaking with them on June 29th, this being the 3rd attempt at making a warrantied bike functional.
Bike purchased June 14th.
I am STILL excited to ride this Summer, but honestly, Summer is short in Maine!

Side benefit, I am learning about each component of an electric bike, lol. The guys do seem nice, and are patient with me, each time on the phone. So, I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I obviously got a bike who's problem falls outside what they have dealt with before, so it's just unfortunate that I am so freaking far away, and that everything is taking so long. I hope somehow this helps improve the troubleshooting process, so nobody else has to go through all this frustrating back & forth.

Hope everyone had a good weekend! Was hoping to ride this week, at least! I still hope maybe by the end of the week, if I get the part.
Updates to follow.

@highway320 , sorry to hear about the delays! You're fortunate though, that the manufacturer does pick up the phone( unlike some overseas email only distributors). Hope this motor solves your issues with the Radwagon and you get to ride :) soon.

So, it was June 29th that Cory said he's send that motor out. Looks like delivery is scheduled for July 12th.
The other parts I had in 2 days, yet this one takes 2 weeks?

I guess the 3rd strike is not a Priority. At this rate, if the motor doesn't fix it, and they need to replace the bike, I won't be riding until August..

Not drop shipped from China, but shipped from WA in a well crafted makeshift box.

Installed pretty quickly, I had removed the original wheel/motor in anticipation.
And it solved the issue!!!
1 month after my bike originally shipped, I got my first ride unencumbered by breakdowns!

I took a nice, rural 15 miles, and it rode beautifully.

Now I just need to tweak a couple of things, like brakes rubbing on one pad. I am guessing there must be a screw to offset it.

I am overjoyed to be able to ride! Thank you all for putting up with my incessant venting and frustrated banter.

@highway320 Glad it all worked out for you and that you're back riding again. Let us know how things go long term. Adjustment screw for brakes should be inboard in the center of the inboard pad via Allen wrench. Fine tune with barrel adjusters.

Sorry to hear about your problem. The limiter in PAS 1 is strictly power related (around 240 watts). The controller will drive the motor in Pas 1 thru PAS 5 until the max assist speed is reached (my default was set at 20 mph but you can change this thru settings).
Hi Pete, You mention you can change the Pas defaults via the settings on the Radwagon. Can you share how to do that? Thanks in advance.

Just reading this thread. I bought a new Rad Power Wagon and 2 Rad Mini bikes in Nov 2016. We have had no issues and the 3 bikes are rock solid!! We have a total of over 500 miles between all 3 bikes and not a single issue. They seem built very tough. We have had the 2 Mini's folded up and taken on Camping trips and have ridden hard on off-road trails. I just could not be more satisfied with our 3 Rad Power bikes!! We ride almost every warm weather day. Yesterday it was 13 miles on the 2 Mini's. Last week I rode the Rad Wagon with both my 2 grandsons on the back. They are age 4 and 7. I love the durability and the power of these bikes. I know from reading the forums, that if I ever have an issue with Warranty, that I know Rad Power company will be there for me. I am a handy man and have bought a bike rack for maintenance, and have made a few small tuning adjustments to the rear derailers but that is about all.

Dude, it stinks but you got a defective 'wagon and are losing a couple of weeks of ebike use and some time. Recommend you take a deep breath and save the disbelief for the truly bad stuff. At least it's not a $30K Volkswagen diesel...
I am one of those diesel owners

I am one of those diesel owners
I was one. 2009 TDI with a 6 speed. Saw owners back then greanading fuel pumps to the tune of 10K, and VW sticking it to them, and punched out, got everything I paid for it luckily. (they were in demand then). Ran into the owners just a little while ago, and it has 186K on it and VW is going to buy it back. I guess I could have kept it. Go figure. Of course if I owned it, the pump would have blown. The DPF filter had to be replaced for 4K though, so still a tough pill.

I was one. 2009 TDI with a 6 speed. Saw owners back then greanading fuel pumps to the tune of 10K, and VW sticking it to them, and punched out, got everything I paid for it luckily. (they were in demand then). Ran into the owners just a little while ago, and it has 186K on it and VW is going to buy it back. I guess I could have kept it. Go figure. Of course if I owned it, the pump would have blown. The DPF filter had to be replaced for 4K though, so still a tough pill.

I'm waiting for a notice any day to schedule a meeting with the rep. The final amount with the car and cash will be a $19,000.00 settlement. My station wagon is an 09 with only 43K on the mileage.

Wow. I should have bought a diesel Passat back in 2013 when I bought my Fiat 500 Abarth new. I could have had a better deal. I traded it last June with 44K miles on it for $10.500 after I paid $26,000 for it ($27,300 was retail and it had every package available at the time).

The Fiat , IIRC, holds the title of having one of the worst resale values around. It was in my FB feed, can't remember who published that.

Unfortunately I am having the same problem with regen kicking in. I have unplugged the brake switches and makes no difference. The motor locks up at each stop. The only way to get moving is over riding the motor using the twist throttle. At about 6 or 7 mph the regen turns off. Cant really ride much like this. The first five miles or so everything worked well. Put the bike away in the garage for the Winter, brought the battery in, and taking it out in the Spring I have this problem. Was hoping it would be something simple.

Unfortunately I am having the same problem with regen kicking in. I have unplugged the brake switches and makes no difference. The motor locks up at each stop. The only way to get moving is over riding the motor using the twist throttle. At about 6 or 7 mph the regen turns off. Cant really ride much like this. The first five miles or so everything worked well. Put the bike away in the garage for the Winter, brought the battery in, and taking it out in the Spring I have this problem. Was hoping it would be something simple.

Sorry to hear this. I now have 116 miles on mine and still going strong. I'd like to hear how you resolve this. Have you spoken with Rad Power?

Back