Radwagon vs Yuba Spicy Curry vs Yuba Spicy Curry Bosch?

citizendelta

Hi there -

New to e-biking with a 5 mile one way commute with some decent elevation and hills (400/450 feet), through some pretty busy roads with heavy traffic. Area has four seasons, with a relatively short number of snow days.

We don't own a car. I currently commute to work on a motorcycle, which would normally suit me fine but we had a baby a few months ago and since I can't carry the kid on a motorcycle to day care and then leave for work, I'm starting to look into cargo bikes, which I'm hoping I can incorporate into a daily routine.

Things I'm looking for:
- Being able to bring a infant/toddler.
- Even better if I can bring the wife on the back as a passenger as well for weekend jaunts
- Pedal assist, throttle boost is a bonus: specifically I don't want to arrive to work sweaty and tired if I end up adopting this as my primary commute method.
- Errand running (hauling groceries in addition to the kid is great).
- Reliable, quality operation (i.e. it doesn't feel like a cheap chinese bike, doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart, doesn't need to be sent abroad for repairs)

It's been years since I've commuted regularly by bike - previously rode a tricross bike to school several years ago but never really loved the experience as I didn't have a lot of endurance and I also found the seat to be hard on the butt. Did it for a year, then sold it to get a motorcycle.

The ebike thing is different however - I recently test rode a Yuba Spicy Curry and found it to be really pleasant and fun - I could see myself commuting to work on it with the pedal assist, and maybe even gradually building up endurance to enjoy biking again. CONS: I didn't find the pedal assist to be particularly smooth when kicking in, and the shifting to be a little clunky, but I can't tell if that's simply because I hadn't ridden a bike in a long time and wasn't shifting well. The fact that the bike came naked at the price point and would require additional accessory purchase is also offputting.

My question focuses on whether there are notable differences between the Yuba Spicy Curry, the Yuba Spicy Curry Bosch, and the Radwagon that would make it worth selecting one over the other.

A local dealer is selling his last units of the Spicy Curry at $3500 to make room for the Spicy Curry Bosch which will come in within two weeks and be sold at $4500. I intend to test ride the Spicy Curry Bosch when it comes it; the EBR review seemed to show that it had some nice upgrades and features, but I risk losing out on the opportunity to purchase the Spicy Curry at $3500.

Past that, there's also the Radwagon, which seems to have similar if not better specs that the Spicy Curry Bosch in some contexts, but is significantly cheaper. I don't know if the cheaper price translates to worse build and ride quality, or that I need to spend a lot of extra money tinkering with it to get the Radwagon "nicer" with upgrades. I also don't know if what I perceive as better specs actually are better specs.

I'm willing to purchase the Yuba Spicy Curry Bosch if it really stands out compared to the remaining two, but without a Radwagon to see in person and test ride I can't say if it's worth the nearly $3k difference in price. Anyone able to offer any thoughts as to whether these bikes will suit my need, and whether the differences in price between the Radwagon, Spicy Curry, and Spicy Curry Bosch are genuinely worth the price differences? Will these bikes accomplish what I'm seeking to do as a kid hauler/commuter? Any recommendations for other bikes that can fulfill the things I'm looking for?

Thanks, happy to answer any questions.

Hi there,
I can't completely answer your question but I can give you some input. I live in a hilly area, have two kids that need hauling to daycare and about a year ago I was looking also at the spicy curry and the radwagon. I eventually decided to take a bet on the radwagon because of the significant price difference. I have been using it for a year on a semi-regular commute that is 7ish miles each way.

Pros:
1. Price obviously!
2. The frame is high quality and works well for the intended purpose of carrying the kids, groceries, etc.
3. It just about fits on a very sturdy rack for transportation in a car (might not be relevant to you).
4. The availability of a throttle is a big deal when carrying cargo in my opinion. I use it to get past busy intersections and get started on hills.
5. Decent set of accessories and getting better. I use the caboose to carry the kids in the back.
6. A direct drive motor is very robust. They are hard to damage.
7. High quality battery.
8. For carrying an adult in the back the radwagon might be more comfortable than a low decked spicy curry, but this is just speculation.

Cons:
1. Some assembly required.
2. Brakes are only adequate (it is on my upgrade list).
3. It uses a direct drive motor (more on this below).
4. Very tail heavy with the standard motor.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the radwagon but I also have learned a lot in this year and have actually modified the bike to fit my purposes better. My main issue was that I live on a hill that is *extremely* steep and direct drive motors are limited in their ability to provide low speed torque. This meant that it was a challenge for me to get up the hill when fully loaded. After some agonizing, I decided to try to change the motor and switch to a BBSHD mid drive motor. This essentially makes the bike into something similar to the spicy curry, but significantly more powerful and still significantly cheaper, but it requires a little work on the bike itself. With the mid-drive, the Radwagon is to me an ideal kid/grocery hauler and commuting machine. I have to say the conversion was straightforward for me and I am not an experienced bike mechanic.

I have not tried the spicy curry, and can't comment on the smoothness of operation. I liked the specs at the time, but was doubtful it could handle my local topography and was put of by the price and the need to add a lot of accessories to get it ready. If I was in your situation I would consider getting the radwagon with the kid carrying accessories and trying it in your topography. If you find it not quite powerful enough, you can upgrade to a BBSHD or BB02 for around $500-$700 (you can use the same battery) and you are still well ahead of the price of the spicy curry. In fact for the price of the discounted spicy curry you can get the radwagon with the upgraded motor and another radwagon for you wife to go on weekend adventures with :)

Cheers - Antia

Thanks, that's really helpful to know, this is a solid review!

Did you feel the need to add any other upgrades other than the BBSHD?
Does shifting and braking feel solid?
Does it feel stable when you're putting the kid in the seat? (i.e. just put it on the center stand...)

Shifting was/is fine. It is not a high end drivetrain but plenty adequate for the purpose. As far as brakes are concerned, they are okay. I just feel like I would like a better brake given that crazy hill I live in and the type of "cargo" I carry. Another member of the forum with a radwagon has upgraded to a cable actuated hydraulic brake, is very happy and says it is a straightforward replacement. I have one set on order and it will arrive later this week, so I can report then.

Regarding the center stand, it is adequate, but I always make sure I am holding the bike. I would not trust it completely with live cargo. I have not yet felt the need to upgrade it and honestly have not found an ideal replacement (although I have occasionally searched for alternatives). With the lower center of gravity of the spicy curry this would be less of an issue.

The other upgrade I have done a couple of months ago was the handlebar (I got a Jones H-Bar). Nothing wrong at all with the stock handlebar, it is pretty nice and has an adjustable stem; however, my hands get tingly and I wanted something with a different geometry. This would have probably been the case for me with the spicy curry or any other bike.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I went to the radpowerbikes page yesterday and saw that they have a referral program. Send me a pm if you would like one (I think you would get $50 off and so would I :).

Cheers - Antia

RadWagon rider here- 4500 plus miles. Happy with it.
I have found the shifting to be problematic. I need to get it adjusted regularly.
Due to the motor in the hub, the spokes tend to bend and break often enough that it is aggravating. Finding replacement spokes has been an issue. Rad Power Bikes has replacement spokes but they are overpriced and no one there can tell me what brand they are and I have asked repeatedly.
The only other issue I have had is with flat tires but once I added Mr. Tuffy tire liners I have had no problems.
The ride is a little rough so I added a Cloud 9 seat. I hope to get a body float seat post someday.
I have not tried the Yuba so I can not compare but because of the price difference the Radwagon seemed the smart choice for someone with my budget.
Not real please with the Rad Power Bike folk when it comes to after sales help. They don't seem to have answers for questions and have failed on various occasions to follow through with providing me the information after claiming they would. Luckily I live near by so I am able to go to the location and have frank discussions with them directly.

There are several videos on my YouTube channel about the bike and upgades- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHvSCmFZ4rRICyTEUOEK3w

RadWagon rider here- 4500 plus miles. Happy with it.
I have found the shifting to be problematic. I need to get it adjusted regularly.
Due to the motor in the hub, the spokes tend to bend and break often enough that it is aggravating. Finding replacement spokes has been an issue. Rad Power Bikes has replacement spokes but they are overpriced and no one there can tell me what brand they are and I have asked repeatedly.
The only other issue I have had is with flat tires but once I added Mr. Tuffy tire liners I have had no problems.
The ride is a little rough so I added a Cloud 9 seat. I hope to get a body float seat post someday.
I have not tried the Yuba so I can not compare but because of the price difference the Radwagon seemed the smart choice for someone with my budget.
Not real please with the Rad Power Bike folk when it comes to after sales help. They don't seem to have answers for questions and have failed on various occasions to follow through with providing me the information after claiming they would. Luckily I live near by so I am able to go to the location and have frank discussions with them directly.

There are several videos on my YouTube channel about the bike and upgades- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHvSCmFZ4rRICyTEUOEK3w

Reread your questions- Here is a few more things I hope help-

The pedal assist works well- Like having two friends push you along. Get up hills OK- 6 miles an hour max but I am faster than most muscle powered riders so not to bad.
Unless your commute is perfectly flat you will need to pedal. If it is warm out you will sweat, pedaling or not. I bring rain gear and a change of cloths to work just in case. I commute 40 miles everyday and am in terrible physical shape (smoker) so it isn't a huge effort but it is an effort all the same.
Except for the flat tires, the few issues I have had with the bike have been manageable and have not caused me to become stuck anywhere. If you get a flat on the rear tire, you will likely need ride because getting the tire off on the road seems impossible to me.

Ensure you ride them before you buy. I found a similar deal on a Spicy Curry, rode it and no thanks. The main issue is the on and off of the motor, it "hunts" when it reaches 20mph. Shuts off, speed drifts down to 19.5mph then kicks in again until just over 20 and then shuts off again. I tried all of the different modes and rode it for 8 miles. Frustrating because I would be in this zone most of the time - my 10mi flat commute I average unassisted 17-18mph on a regular bike. I too wanted a cargo bike but I'm going ebike + trailer (kids are too big to haul).

We just built a Spicy Curry with a Bosch mid-drive. A very well built, well-performing cargo bike. We've already had a 10 inquiries.

Ensure you ride them before you buy. I found a similar deal on a Spicy Curry, rode it and no thanks. The main issue is the on and off of the motor, it "hunts" when it reaches 20mph. Shuts off, speed drifts down to 19.5mph then kicks in again until just over 20 and then shuts off again. I tried all of the different modes and rode it for 8 miles. Frustrating because I would be in this zone most of the time - my 10mi flat commute I average unassisted 17-18mph on a regular bike. I too wanted a cargo bike but I'm going ebike + trailer (kids are too big to haul).
"Hunts"- nice description. My RadWagon does not "hunt" but I understand the newer modals are programmed differently and more in the way you describe the Yuba "hunting"-

Back