The Scoville Scale - Hot, Spicy Sauces!

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
I'm not a maniac of spicy food; just am trying something hot once in a while. On one of my long rides, I went in a Shell service station. As the only network of Poland, they offer a Carolina Reaper based sauce to their hot dogs. Unawares, I asked for the sauce for a hot-dog. I was crying! My face got wet of tears! Actually, I could not finish that hot-dog!

The next time, I was smarter and asked for ketchup and "a symbolic amount" of the Carolina Reaper sauce. I was crying again but could finish the meal that time, and I was full of endorfin! :D Necessary to mention, the sauce used by Shell is an inexpensive Roleski condiment that only contains 1.4% of dried Carolina Reaper chilis.

Intrigued, I have just ordered a bottle of this:
1698109553859.png

59% of Carolina Reaper chilis.

As I said, I am not a spiciness fan but I am sure many of you are. Tell your stories! :)

I like hot/spicy, but Carolina Reaper? No Effin' Way!
Peri Peri, or Habanero can be good though. I've made some hot sauces with Habanero successfully.
I dearly love a very hot horseradish for prime rib as well.

I dearly love a very hot horseradish for prime rib as well.
Oh yes, I do too. I prefer horseradish to frankfurters, when we are at it. Horseradish is very popular in the region here, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary... never got horseradish in the Czech Republic though!

The Slovak make rolls of ham stuffed with horseradish. It's delicious!

Last edited:
Best hot (very) horseradish ever...

Everything is changing to be hotter, hotter, hotter. My favorite brand of guacamole dip just changed the formula to be hotter. I eat at a Mexican restaurant once a week in the middle of my 30 mile commute to my summer property. Salsa was pleasantly tomato flavored until this Saturday. Hot as fire. I complained. Probably won't ever go back. There is a long list of Mexican restaurants I visited once and never went back. Too hot, except the one that puts smelly jasmine on the rice. KFC original recipe makes me belch, but they used to have a baked chicken that was great. It has been replaced by Hot & Spicy. What's a matter, men can't think of themselves as real unless they can eat a jalapeno? I survived boot camp, walked 18 miles in the dark with Op Force trying to arrest me & take my boots: I shot 39 of 40 on the rifle range several times. I went looking for a lost tank in a jeep at 3 AM 30 miles from the E. German border in 1982 and found it. (It had been towed to the impound lot by the city wrecker.)
My favorite brand of horseradish is Reese's. The same as it has been for 50 years. Goes great with pork chops or pork steaks.

Last edited:
Best (or worst) experience I've had with hot. Vietnamese restaurant in Singapore, was ordering and waiter said caution, that's pretty hot. Ordered anyway. It was served and waiters gathered around. Started eating and was not hot at all. 30 seconds later, I started sweating and immediately couldn't talk and hardly breath. They were right.

Best (or worst) experience I've had with hot. Vietnamese restaurant in Singapore, was ordering and waiter said caution, that's pretty hot. Ordered anyway. It was served and waiters gathered around. Started eating and was not hot at all. 30 seconds later, I started sweating and immediately couldn't talk and hardly breath. They were right.
I had a similar situation in one of the first Indian restaurants in Poland, a small city, a business trip. I ordered a "mildly hot" meal and could not finish it... :)

Bulgaria is famous of their chili peppers. A long time ago I and a friend (an engineer as myself only different specialty) were sitting in a lunch restaurant at an oil refinery of Burgas. As I used to be to Bulgaria before, I wanted to impress my friend and asked the waiter for some hot chilis (tchushka). I took one into my mouth and it was my bad day as I started crying immediately! Meanwhile, my friend was chewing one chili after another, emotionlessly :D What a shame on me!

I love hot sauce but will confess to being a snob - I don't like it sweet/sugary, vinegary, or too darn hot.

My favorites in order of preference:
Marie Sharp’s Habanero Pepper Sauce - the white label.
Mare Sharp’s Habanero Beware - same as above, but a bit hotter; red label
Tapatio Hot Sauce - a long time fan, since 80’s. Can barely taste the vinegar.
Gringo Bandito Hot Sauce Original - developed by the Offspring lead singer, he is a chemist!
Gringo Bandito Hot Sauce Super Hot - red sauce in black label bottle; same as above but hotter.
El Yucateco Chile Habanero - green or red sauce. Dirt cheap but in small bottles.
Mexico Lindo Chile Habanero - rojo or verde (red or green). Another dirt cheap sauce in small bottles.

For my birthday a couple years ago, my daughter got me the Hot Ones Last Dab XXX, 3 million Scoville. It was super hot but tasty. A little dab goes a long way.

IMG_0393.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg IMG_0392.jpeg IMG_0394.jpeg

IMG_0390.jpeg IMG_0389.jpeg IMG_0395.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not a maniac of spicy food; just am trying something hot once in a while. On one of my long rides, I went in a Shell service station. As the only network of Poland, they offer a Carolina Reaper based sauce to their hot dogs. Unawares, I asked for the sauce for a hot-dog. I was crying! My face got wet of tears! Actually, I could not finish that hot-dog!

The next time, I was smarter and asked for ketchup and "a symbolic amount" of the Carolina Reaper sauce. I was crying again but could finish the meal that time, and I was full of endorfin! :D Necessary to mention, the sauce used by Shell is an inexpensive Roleski condiment that only contains 1.4% of dried Carolina Reaper chilis.

Intrigued, I have just ordered a bottle of this:
View attachment 165293
59% of Carolina Reaper chilis.

As I said, I am not a spiciness fan but I am sure many of you are. Tell your stories! :)
Use an eye dropper to apply it . Don't apply even a drop to a single serving of anything. On a positive note, you are the proud owner of a lifetime supply. BTW, I like spicy food more than most Americans...

Use an eye dropper to apply it . Don't apply even a drop to a single serving of anything. On a positive note, you are the proud owner of a lifetime supply. BTW, I like spicy food more than most Americans...
A bigger portion added to very warm food seems to take less effect!

Back