Radwagon rear spoke tension adjustment

after endless hours of research into the very complex world of spokes & wheels for bicycles ive finally made a upgrade purchase for my radwagon spoke issues , mind you im 300 lbs & a little to rough at times but i kept up on my spoke tensions never truly knowing measured tension , as i motorcycle rider / racer guy i tiddled a lot with spokes over the years , here is an affordable option for the wagon - links ! the sapim polyax round head nipples will allow for better deflection angle of spokes on the rear wheel due to the large diameter of the motor, dimpled rims would be another option , my new go to spoke guy is rob at sunnyspokes.com very helpful & quick ! i personally would not mind paying extra for a proper dimpled rim ! (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
So what happened with your upgrade, captain wavy?

By the way, you ran all three of your URLs together into one link, which therefor takes you nowhere. To save others the effort of figuring out what you were trying to say, I cut & pasted each of the three links out of this, and ... none of them seem to be specific to the radwagon wheel, they are just generic links, none to specific products to purchase, in fact two are to company home pages. what am I missing?

for wheels I get a professional to build them. The yahve told me the biggest problem is the 12g spokes. they are too heavy they cant be tensioned enough so they flex a lot. there is not enugh torque on the wheel that requires such heavy spokes.
Hi! I am considering getting a new back wheel for my radwagon. Do you have a recommendation. The back wheel has the motor on it. Do you have advice? Thank you so much!

Hi! I am considering getting a new back wheel for my radwagon. Do you have a recommendation. The back wheel has the motor on it. Do you have advice? Thank you so much!
do you need a new motor or just want a new wheel? if you can find a local shop that builds wheels they should be able to help you. butthey will dumb those huge spokes since they really don't work that well.

do you need a new motor or just want a new wheel? if you can find a local shop that builds wheels they should be able to help you. butthey will dumb those huge spokes since they really don't work that well.
my motor is fine, the spokes are doing that clicking thing when I have a tad too much weight. i've gotten them tightened a few times. i thought maybe upgrading the spokes and rim maybe? what does "butthey will dumb those huge spokes since they really don't work that well." mean?????????? thanks for responding!

sorry my keyboard at work sucks. but they will not use those thick spokes because they don't name the wheel stronger. most likely they would not even be able to get them. a new rim and spokes would give you a much better wheel.

I have one of those tension gauges by Park Tool. I had some carbon rims on a mtb, they were really true, but the spokes were all over the place on tension. Some pretty soft. I used the tensioner gauge and the rims came out of true and had to reset the spokes. My experience, the tensioner gauge is a neat tool, but don't think it is the end all. Be forewarned.

I have one of those tension gauges by Park Tool. I had some carbon rims on a mtb, they were really true, but the spokes were all over the place on tension. Some pretty soft. I used the tensioner gauge and the rims came out of true and had to reset the spokes. My experience, the tensioner gauge is a neat tool, but don't think it is the end all. Be forewarned.
nope it is skill that makes the difference. a good wheel builder ill build a wheel that stays true after the first tuneup for the rest of its life.

Back