RadWagon 4....

As mentioned, the tube is a non event. It's the tire and rim that's the problem.

I like the changes. My wagon is a 2017 and one of the first in blue. The lower step over height is a big plus. A reduction of 2.4" may not sound like a lot but at 71 years old it will help a great deal. Good Job Rad.

I would not want to be stuck with one kind of tire.

Some people commute year long, and people have been using studded winter tires for icy roads, and high grip summer tires, or high puncture resistance tire for long commute and long distance trips..
Good point.

Unless they've lined up other manufacturers, it's probably a gamble to sell enough bikes to get tire makers to support it.

Maybe you can go tubeless/add your own studs for the issues you mentioned?

I bought a Radwagon 3 a few months ago. It is working well for me. I’d like the geared hub for a bit more torque here in hilly Seattle (I live on top of Queen Anne so about a 500’ climb home) but proprietary 22” wheels/tires are a no-go for me. I’ll be looking elsewhere when I replace this bike unless a whole ecosystem of 22” wheels develops. Bummer as I really enjoyed spending just $1500 on the rad vs the $4K plus I was looking at for alternatives.

I bought a Radwagon 3 a few months ago. It is working well for me. I’d like the geared hub for a bit more torque here in hilly Seattle (I live on top of Queen Anne so about a 500’ climb home) but proprietary 22” wheels/tires are a no-go for me. I’ll be looking elsewhere when I replace this bike unless a whole ecosystem of 22” wheels develops. Bummer as I really enjoyed spending just $1500 on the rad vs the $4K plus I was looking at for alternatives.
There is a bike company calledFaction they only make 22 inch rims for their bikes, I believe this started with BMX. 22 inch rims are out there,

I think the replacement tire thing is something that could be easily overcome. So there's not a vast array to select from. Why would anyone riding something like this care, as long as there is a suitable replacement available? Somebody needing something like this, at this price point, could stock multiple sets of replacement tires and tubes on their own (purchased from RAD), and still be WAY ahead of anything else like it on the market.

Beside that, the fact you do have replacements available usually means you'll NEVER need them! :)

Last edited:
You could always rebuild the wheels with 24" rims and use slightly smaller tires. 24x2 tires should be about the same outer diameter as the 22x3 setup, so should work in the frame without modifying anything or changing geometry. Obviously thats an additional expense.

You could always rebuild the wheels with 24" rims and use slightly smaller tires. 24x2 tires should be about the same outer diameter as the 22x3 setup, so should work in the frame without modifying anything or changing geometry. Obviously thats an additional expense.

That may turn out to be a good plan as well.

Here is the full review from Electrek... along with a discussion of the pros/cons of the unique tire size. ;)

The updated electric cargo bike is now known as the RadWagon 4. If you were familiar with the previous version, the first major changes you’re likely to notice are the new wheels and frame. The frame has a new patent-pending design that includes a smaller wheel diameter with wider tires to create more cargo room and lower the front and rear racks. That results in a more comfortable ride and increased stability – especially when the RadWagon is loaded down to its 350 lb (159 kg) limit with passengers and cargo. Those new wheels and tires come in a custom 22×3.0-inch size that was designed in-house by Rad Power Bikes’ engineering team, replacing the larger yet narrower 26×2.3″ tires on the previous RadWagon.

The 750W rear hub motor (or 500W in Canada and 250W in the EU) has also been swapped from a direct drive model to a geared hub motor. Geared hub motors produce higher torque in a smaller size, and Rad Power Bikes claims the new RadWagon will have even better hill-climbing performance and acceleration with its 80 Nm of torque. This is the same motor that Rad Power Bikes uses on their off-road and utility-oriented e-bikes like the RadRover and RadRunner...

Generally speaking, I like the updates. The smaller wheels will be more convenient and keep the bike from feeling so tall. The added tire volume will also give a bit more cushion to the ride; they aren’t quite fat tires but they’re not skinny either. Being locked into Rad’s unique tire size is a bit of a bummer for anyone who likes to be able to modify or tinker on their bike as they see fit, but I don’t think it will be a huge maintenance concern since most people don’t go through tires very quickly anyways. And even if you get a flat, you can still repair it yourself at home or at a bike shop as long as you have the necessary 22″ tube. It does feel a bit Apple-y, getting locked into an ecosystem. But when you have Rad’s size and ability, I guess you can start playing God with bike parts.

1590339993744.png

I like virtually everything in the new radwagon, EXCEPT the weird wheel size. One of the great thing about Rad bikes has been the standard parts they use that can be worked on by any bike shop (or enthusiastic owner). Replacements were easy to find and affordable for everything from the drivetrain to the wheels. I own an original radwagon and have changed a whole bunch of things, both to overcome some limitations and just because I can't help myself. I know that even if Rad goes out of business, I would have no trouble rebuilding the bike from scratch out of pretty standard components.
On the positive side, I am thrilled that they finally put a geared motor on the thing! That will make it a far better cargo machine for those of us that carry heavy loads and have to contend with real hills.

are you kidding me 22 inch wheels , why not a standard 24 to have more upgrade choices ? yes the gear drive is more low end torque , but i like my gearless on the wagon & i do hills well if i pedal well ! & yes i wish they would upgrade there accessory line as well , plastic rover fenders 80 + dollars wow !
GOPR1223.jpeg

are you kidding me 22 inch wheels , why not a standard 24 to have more upgrade choices ? yes the gear drive is more low end torque , but i like my gearless on the wagon & i do hills well if i pedal well ! & yes i wish they would upgrade there accessory line as well , plastic rover fenders 80 + dollars wow !View attachment 53435
My guess is 22 inch rims with tires is right there at the 24 Mark so about the same time

Coming from a practical standpoint, 22" seems to be creating a lot of imaginary issues. Again, why should anyone be concerned? As long as you can get a replacement tire, why the "need" to select from 100 potential possibilities?

This bike is pretty much a truck (a nicely done truck at that) at a very reasonable price point. Do some fancy converting it into a mountain, touring or road racing bike?

Absolute worst case, you would have to have the rear wheel relaced to a different size rim. Not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, and it would still likely be a good buy when compared to others in it's class.

Back