RadRover handlebars

Hellfish

Has anyone out there installed different handlebars on their RadRover? I'm looking at putting on some bars that will reduce the reach a bit, maybe even beach cruiser style. I'm guessing that the limiting factor will be cable length. I don't actually have the bike yet to try the standard seating position. I'm just doing a bit of research while I wait for the new bike.

Thanks Mark. I'm looking at that solution as well. Even using the adjustable stem from the Radwagon would add some height, it seems. In the video review it appears to be cranked up quite steep compared to the Rover stem.

I was also considering another handlebar, possibly a wider one. It adds a bit of stress to the hands when the wheels are this wide, you need to steer and adjust a lot more, I feel. But maybe just adjusting the height could do the trick?

I want my handlebars a lot lower. I'm short 5' 6" so the stock position of the bar is too high. The stock riding position feels too much like a beach cruiser than I like. So far, I have reversed the angle of the handlebar stem and placed the 1/2 inch spacer above the stem instead of below. I think this lowers the hand position a bit over an inch.

I have a flat handlebar coming to replace the riser bar we currently have. This one: link. That should take my hand position another 2 to 3 inches lower.

An update for my flat handlebar mention in last post. Have it installed. Took about an hour, together with flipping the handlebar stem total. Based on my own maybe not that accurate measurement, with bike leaning against the wall which may vary a little depending on amount of lean, it took a little over 4 inches from the height of the hand position. That the total from both the flat handlebar & the flip stem.

Note that the 2 "before pictures," I had already flipped the stem. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the amount it reduced in the height and my new riding position. Like the way it looks too.

2016-06-21 17.20.41.jpg
2016-06-21 17.20.56.jpg
2016-06-21 18.21.53.jpg
2016-06-21 18.22.11.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-06-21 17.20.41.jpg
    2016-06-21 17.20.41.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 891
  • 2016-06-21 17.20.56.jpg
    2016-06-21 17.20.56.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 791
I decided I wanted to sit completely upright and put on both an adjustable handlebar stem and a 5 inch rise, 27 .75 length Sunlight handlebar on. It was an interesting project and took me about 2 hours. The hardest part was getting the handlebar grips on and off. At one point I thought about just cutting them off but the one on the right with the throttle is a shorter one and would be both more expensive and harder to get a replacement. I had to unwrap all the spiral wrap and reroute 1 wire. The only item that wouldn't reach properly is the 3 button controller. I now have to take my left hand off the grip to push on it. A little hassle, but it's not like I'm constantly making changes to the LCD display. The handlebars are wider and I do like the fact that I get extra leverage on the heavy front wheel.
IMG_20160622_195739129.jpg

Looks Sweet! It looks like your display is showing the grass in front of you???... Maybe just reflections... :) What tire is that on the front in the last picture?

Mark -

Last edited:
Mark, The LCD display is distorted because the sun is hitting it. For the summer months I wanted to do more of paved bike trail riding so I switched to the Vee Speedster tires which gave me a smoother quieter ride. I also gained about 2 mph.

An update for my flat handlebar mention in last post. Have it installed. Took about an hour, together with flipping the handlebar stem total. Based on my own maybe not that accurate measurement, with bike leaning against the wall which may vary a little depending on amount of lean, it took a little over 4 inches from the height of the hand position. That the total from both the flat handlebar & the flip stem.

Note that the 2 "before pictures," I had already flipped the stem. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the amount it reduced in the height and my new riding position. Like the way it looks too.

View attachment 6462 View attachment 6463 View attachment 6464 View attachment 6465

Great work, thanks for sharing.
i feel the exact same pain as you, just finished the first 300miles with radwagon, want the handlebar much much lower.

are you able to lower it even more?

I think the only way to lower it further is to use a something like the original handlebar, and turn the sweep down towards the ground. Some people like that look.

one of the rovers here got lifted handlebars. Makes a world of difference. Pair that with a 3" layback seat.. money!

And to remove the wrist pain from the throttle twist - we made a thumb throttle attachment. Needless to say the more up-rite seating position and no more twisting of the wrist (throttle) makes a huge difference and a far more enjoyable experience! Just gotta remember them damn stem spacers :p

Black throttle only orange.jpg black throttle with hand only.jpg Depth throttle black orange Rside.jpg

I know it is personal preference but the thumb throttle position really should be level with the red button at idle. Otherwise if you are pedaling then let up on the throttle and go to press the button real fast for any reason and it gets in the way.

Just an FYI. Again personal preference.

Last edited:
I have an adjustable stem for my handle bars to raise them up about 30-35 degrees. It puts the red button almost vertical and my thumb throttle close to horizontal in the idle position. Before I added the adjustable stem, I've always had a problem of inadvertently turning off the throttle when the button and throttle were closer together. My wife still hits the throttle on/off button sometimes by accident since I adjust the handle bars to 0 degrees for her.

I was just saying that when you add a thumb attachment, it is probably best to make the idle position level with the red button, no matter what angle, so when not turning the throttle it won't get in the way if you have to press it, that is all. i:)i

I also said it is personal preference of course. I just found that having it higher than the button it gets in the way.

I tried something similar and ended up at the same position as that picture. If I use the red button as the start position, full throttle would be rotated out of the way, especially since I end up using the heel of my thumb to press.

Full throttle for me is where my thumb is positioned where it normally rests when I have my hand in the normal riding position. Another reason I prefer it.
Again, everyone is different and everyone will want it in a different position, maybe I have larger hands. i:)i

Also note that I designed and 3D printed my own throttle so maybe mine is more comfortable to use my way.

Last edited:
Love these on my Radwagon. I have since switched out my shift levers and it was difficult getting all the electronics back on but manageable.

Back