RadCity vs Haibike Urban Plus?

Gary, my dealer said that the 2018s are a carry-over model. No changes at all, not even color options. He seemed to think that they may keep the lower price? Also mentioned that Haibike has many of the 2017s in stock still, while they are getting lower stock on the other discounted under $1700 bikes, like the Hardnine and Cross 4.0.
Hi there, I just cancelled an order on a 2017 Urban Plus and switched over to a 2018 model (happened to be a better deal also at $1571!) after I read the specs. The 2017 had the TranzX GT 250W motor and the 2018 has a TranzX GTS 500W motor. I was trying to find any mention of this upgrade around the web, it might be out there but I couldn't find it.

Last edited:
Went and tested the 2018 Haibike Urban Plus today. I really liked it. Felt very comfortable and excellent power. Does anybody know if there are any differences / tweaks between the 2017 & 2018? Any reason not to go for the 2017 and save big? ($1700)
This may be to late but I responded to another post answering you, the motor in the 2017 is a TranzX GT and 2018 TranzX GTS, so 250W vs 500W

Last edited:
Interestingly enough I was helping a friend by and ebonite so I tried out both the Haibike Urban Plus and the Stromer St1 at amego cycles last week. Both are awesome bikes. My impression of the Stromer is that it feels great to ride but perhaps less “bike like” than the urban plus due to the heavy push from the hub drive. I also think the interface of the st1 is definitely showing it’s age next to the slick urban plus. Both look gorgeous and what I loved about both is the solid feel you get from the combination of the frame and the wide tires. The urban plus in full power mode feels like it has more “juice” than my Bosch cx but it also feels like there is more of a lag between the pedals and them motor stopping and starting. The shift detection is also much more noticeable and mechanical in feel than the Bosch motor. My friend says he prefers the urban plus due to the fact that it feels more like a bike and less like a scooter. Anyways my point is you won’t go wrong with either of these but at the price, the urban plus is a no-brainer.

Hi there, I just cancelled an order on a 2017 Urban Plus and switched over to a 2018 model (happened to be a better deal also at $1571!) after I read the specs. The 2017 had the TranzX GT 250W motor and the 2018 has a TranzX GTS 500W motor. I was trying to find any mention of this upgrade around the web, it might be out there but I couldn't find it.

matt- Sounds like an awesome deal at $1571!! Did you notice much of a difference between the 250 watt and 500? Good luck with your new ride!

Curious where you found it for $1571?

There are multiple dealers that will discount the Urban Plus below the commonly advertised $1799 price. This bike was on my shortlist - love the design and COBI system but continued to have reservations about the Tranzx motor. As i was discussing multiple options with a handful dealers, one of the largest dealers (who sells Haibike) told me that Tranzx was going to discontinue the M25GTS. I tried following up with Tranzx for clarification but never got a response. I asked the dealer to clarify whether he simply meant Haibike was no longer going to utilize the Tranzx (that wouldn't surprise me) or whether it was Tranzx itself discontinuing the motor and it was the latter. Obviously his info may not be correct but with all of the great 2017 Haibike Sduro/Xduro closeout deals (where again it is not hard to beat the advertised closeout pricing), to me it made sense to spend just a few more $$$ to get a motor/battery/controller which I know will be serviceable for the long-term.

Also, there was other misinformation in this thread. There is no difference between the 2017 and 2018 Urban Plus in the US. They are identical and use the same M25GTS motor - the "S" is the 28mph/500w speed pedalec version. In other countries, the equivalent Winora Radar used the 250w M25GT while the Winora Radar Speed uses the same GTS/500w motor as the Urban Plus so perhaps that's where the confusion originated.

Bear with me for a lengthy post:

Just got back from my mtb commute - only the second time I’ve ridden to my new job. Used Google Fit for some tracking info. (side note, I think I would put 1500-2500 mi/yr on the bike)

Route: It’s only 5.1 mi, and my ride home has a steady incline of maybe 250’ gain over 2 miles, then mostly flat. I averaged 10mph roughly. My morning commute is of course the opposite, and averages a little faster with the downhill and less traffic. The uphill section usually has the most stops and starts, also.

stop/go factor: on my afternoon commute, since I stick to the main street with a nice bike lane, it has lots of stop lights and if you hit everyone, I can currently keep up with cars. An ebike may let me branch out to other faster streets with no dedicated bike lane, but I would be flowing with traffic, so I could up my speed and still be safe, I imagine. Either way, there is enough stop and go and I only hit a top speed of 16mph currently, so I see no need to rule out 20mph limited bikes now. Realizing that I may have a more stop and go pattern than many users with dedicated bike paths, I am now wondering if a geared hub motor would offer the best performance? Additionally, I do think I would like a throttle…
...which leads me to realizing that I need to at least ride a mid-motor torque pedalec and throttle/hub for test rides, even if they are not the exact models I may be looking at. They do at least have the Haibike locally. Hopefully that will help me determine if I have a preference for either speed sensor and/or throttle.

So, of course, more models keep popping up: Surface 604 Colt - will that be the best options/compromise for me? Is it worth ~$350 more than a RadCity? I can only imagine how the 2019 models may offer even more features for the same $. Which then makes me thing, go cheap, sell and upgrade later on... lol

Just thinking out loud, but also voicing my process as the additional info may give you guys help in any recommendations…
Curious what bike you ended up choosing? I am considering the Urban Plus or Magnum Metro (or CCS but obvy have to wait). Thanks!

Back