RadCity tire change to 4" Fats

pscherry78

I am looking forward to purchasing my first Rad Power Bike. I love everything about the RadCity Step-Thru 3 (regen, rear rack, lcd display, 26" wheels)
To get more rough road suspension and some offroad traction, could the wheels be changed out for those on the RadRover Step-Thru (26" x4")?

Enough tire clearance, it just isn't there.

Buy a Rad Rover Step Thru instead, purchase the optional rack.

Bafang Geared hub, so no ReGen but hardly a deal breaker as it's not that effective.

Buy a Rad Rover Step Thru instead, purchase the optional rack.

Bafang Geared hub, so no ReGen but hardly a deal breaker as it's not that effective.
That's what I was thinking. (Rad Rover). I put a Topeak rack on the back for the advantage of being able to swap bags easily.

ReGen sounds like a good idea, but I've heard mixed reviews in terms of effectiveness and the drag it puts on coasting. I don't know what it does for increasing range.

TT

That's what I was thinking. (Rad Rover). I put a Topeak rack on the back for the advantage of being able to swap bags easily.

ReGen sounds like a good idea, but I've heard mixed reviews in terms of effectiveness and the drag it puts on coasting. I don't know what it does for increasing range.

TT
Since the OP was thinking about replacing wheels on his City, the 750W brushless Shengyi direct drive hub motor would not fit the fat tire hub.

TT

I can answer the "increased range" question based on practical experience. Nothing! No increased range. Even when used in an area with pretty significant hills.

Regen is WAY more about keeping your speed in check when going down BIG hills. In use, mine would hold the speed in the low 20's. Same hill without regen and you'd be talking mid 30's.

In the flat lands, regen = a big yawn......

I can answer the "increased range" question based on practical experience. Nothing! No increased range. Even when used in an area with pretty significant hills.

Regen is WAY more about keeping your speed in check when going down BIG hills. In use, mine would hold the speed in the low 20's. Same hill without regen and you'd be talking mid 30's.

When I rode the Rad bikes prior to purchase, the sales guy said pretty much the same thing. ReGen is a marketing tool "look how green this bike is". Good for maybe running lights a little longer or charging your phone.

Since the New Mission has a Bafang geared hub I could see them doing the same thing for the next Rad-City. Widen rear frame to allow for wider hub and 7 speed derailleur.

Last edited:
Partial as all get out I'm sure, but I believe the geared hubs offer a MUCH wider practical application/appeal than the direct drive - and agreed, with RAD's recent new model introductions, it looks like RAD is catching on.

A gear driven RAD City street machine with 4" street (baloon) tires? Where do I sign?

We have two Rad City, a ST and a reg. frame, also I have a Rad Rover 5. I can tell you, at least from my experience, Re-Gen does work. It can take you from as little as 1 or 2 bars, up to 3 or 4 bars...if done properly. It's a skill that can lengthen a ride. Or at least keep the fear of depleting the battery fully from creeping into my head! When the last 2 miles are up a steep and long hill, 3 bars are much better than 2 or 1! Just sayin.

I have a Radcity ST and my suggestion would be to avoid the regen at all costs. It's so friggin irritating. I don't think the little bit of extra battery power it might provide is worth the trade-off of the negative impacts it has.

I have a Radcity ST and my suggestion would be to avoid the regen at all costs. It's so friggin irritating. I don't think the little bit of extra battery power it might provide is worth the trade-off of the negative impacts it has.
Sorry that your experience isn't as good as mine. Proper brake lever adjustment is key and when you have a 2 mile uphill to escape the river bottom, having 3 bars is comforting. I wonder what "negative impacts" you are referring to?

Back