Rad Power Bikes in General

GrosseFatigue

I looked at Apple computers and watches over the years and never bought one. I was always put off by something. Same thing with Rad bikes. Their 2V charger, their barely adequate 48V14aH battery across their bikes put me off. Their low 60nv torque Bafang motors vs a Mxus 100nv hub motor they could use today. Saying that they are like Apple would be paying them a compliment. Like Apple they have become a cult while they are not the best and their line is getting old in the tooth. I like their 3.3 tires alright but you can get a slick one for the city on line. They design on the margins, little stuff. Their bikes are unexciting.

PDXzap said:
Perception is everything.
Folk have price points beyond which they will not go, however quality and service, are factors that come up repeatedly on this and other ebike forums or on bike-Twitter. For better or worse, some bike shops won't work on Rad bikes (or other direct mail order ebikes) because of their own experience trying to fix problems due to low quality components, or other fundamental issues with warranties not covering shop labor rates or difficulties supplying parts or diagnosing issues. For many (most) having access to local shop support is important if they are to be encouraged to ride ebikes long term. I am encouraged the big three are putting ebikes under two grand on the showroom floor (eg Electra/Trek Townie Go 7D, Giant LaFree E+2) that both get people through the door and then experience convenient, consistent, and relatively quick, bike shop support as an ownership benefit, but that also works as a business model for the shop owner with labor rates covered, warranties honored, parts available with timely delivery, and the convenience of plug-in remote diagnostics support. To be fair Rad appear to be investing in expanding their shop network, and in using Velofix as a service partner for people who live in a Velofix service area.

Last edited:
For just under $2k you could buy a RadRover 5, the Bolton Ebike controller + their new motor and have a completely different bike. For $2500 you could have all of that plus an extra battery to double your range. The cheapest Trek ebike I saw was like $2399

There was only 3 main players I was looking at back in 2015/2016 (Volt, Rad, & Sondors). Rad was ahead on a few features, price, power, easy to mod, warranty, and cost when I compared the three back then. Rad turned out to be a best choice for me and the 80%-90% solution for my riding habits after +3 years and +7000 miles between two Radrovers. I don't think I would pick Rad again today because of the amount of choices in the same under $2500-$2800 price range are 2X-3X now compared to then (adding price of mods I had to do my Rad for the final total).

Because my 16 Rover is the +80% solution, I haven't thought about looking for a replacement yet. I just put my 3rd set of tires last month and probably ready for my 3rd set of brakes in the next 6-8 months.

This sounds like one of those diatribes about every one should be using Linux or Blackberry. Sony Betamax is so much better than VHS.

If there is something better, buy it or buy the parts and create your own e-bike. Same with iPhone , buy something else. I have owned several models but prefer the iphone.

Rad bikes and iPhones are best sellers for a reason. Both sell well partly because of marketing. The Rad is priced at that "sweet spot" in the market, it's also a simple machine. I live in PNW so there are a lot of these bikes around.

I tested about a dozen models before choosing the Rad Rover about 7 months ago, my first e-bike I have put just under 1000 miles on it during that time. Lost over 35lbs since I have owned it, so for me $1500 was a great ROI. No problems just minor maintenance so far.

I plan to keep it for a few years, as far as I am concerned it is good value for $1500. For me the purchase of the Rad was an adventure. Dipping my toes in the water "so to speak".

I am 66 years old and will not be without an e-bike while I am still able to ride one. If something comes along that is better then I will consider it. There are better bikes out there, but most of us don't have $3000-7000 to spend.

To the original poster, there is a difference between Volts and Amps, you can't charge a 48 volt battery with 2 volt charger. 6 hour recharge is not an issue for me, batteries typically last longer with a slow charge.

I don’t care for Rad one way or another, but it seems odd to me to come to the Rad forum just to bash them (and Apple for bonus). Sounds like you never actually had any experience with them. Strange, then, that you have such strong negative opinions of them.

Why not go to the forum(s) of the bike(s) that you own and like and sing your praises of them there? Tell us what you like instead of what you don’t.

I looked at Apple computers and watches over the years and never bought one. I was always put off by something. Same thing with Rad bikes. Their 2V charger, their barely adequate 48V14aH battery across their bikes put me off. Their low 60nv torque Bafang motors vs a Mxus 100nv hub motor they could use today. Saying that they are like Apple would be paying them a compliment. Like Apple they have become a cult while they are not the best and their line is getting old in the tooth. I like their 3.3 tires alright but you can get a slick one for the city on line. They design on the margins, little stuff. Their bikes are unexciting.
Rad is like apple in the way they just work, I own a mini and a rover , A year and five months, about 1000 miles apiece, no problems, if you want to charge the battery faster there are many aftermarket chargers you can buy. I picked up a a bafang three amp charger, that I use if I need a fast charge. It will charge the battery from dead to fall in about four hours. Mine have been reliable, easy to adjust, and just work .

You going to go down the list and bash all the eBikes, or just an axe to grind with generalizations with this one company?

Easy to slam something and walk away. How about your idea of a better bike in the same price category with equal or better backing than available from Rad?

Rad is like apple in the way they just work, I own a mini and a rover , A year and five months, about 1000 miles apiece, no problems, if you want to charge the battery faster there are many aftermarket chargers you can buy. I picked up a a bafang three amp charger, that I use if I need a fast charge. It will charge the battery from dead to fall in about four hours. Mine have been reliable, easy to adjust, and just work .
Now that I can argue with. apple may not be perfect but they are a high end product Not a low end product. trying to compare a low end e bike to a high end phone is a bit silly. there are countless complaints about problems with rad. You can't take it into a local store and get it taken care of like a apple product.

their barely adequate 48V14aH battery
Um, barely adequate? I have buddies with 36V ~10Ah brose motor e-mountain bikes that are super happy with their bikes. And I've gotten 55 miles out of one charge on the 48V14aH, admittedly with leg work, but still less than effort than my regular road bike demands.

Now that I can argue with. apple may not be perfect but they are a high end product Not a low end product. trying to compare a low end e bike to a high end phone is a bit silly. there are countless complaints about problems with rad. You can't take it into a local store and get it taken care of like a apple product.
There’s more than a few bike shops where I live, that will service a rad, after all it’s just a bicycle, for the most part like Apple, they just work, Not much to go wrong with them

There’s more than a few bike shops where I live, that will service a rad, after all it’s just a bicycle, for the most part like Apple, they just work, Not much to go wrong with them
no there are quite a few problems they tend to have one of the biggest is loose spokes. They have cheap and not always standard parts the electrics is not normal. I have found few if any shop that will work on them or will but don't like to. comparing them to a high end product is not a good comparison. a 8000.00 bike is more in the range of a apple product. a rad is more in the range of a chrome book.

no there are quite a few problems they tend to have one of the biggest is loose spokes. They have cheap and not always standard parts the electrics is not normal. I have found few if any shop that will work on them or will but don't like to. comparing them to a high end product is not a good comparison. a 8000.00 bike is more in the range of a apple product. a rad is more in the range of a chrome book.
Not in price, in function.

I'm happy with my RadRover, you get what you pay for and I knew what I was buying. I upgraded the controller and the bike is a rocket, otherwise it's a slug. There's no refinement with a <$2000 bike.

Not in price, in function.
no not in function all the parts are heavy and cheap. I am sorry but rad bikes are heavy and low end. They are mass assembled and sold under a dozen names. they are ok for their price but you get what you pay for.

no not in function all the parts are heavy and cheap. I am sorry but rad bikes are heavy and low end. They are mass assembled and sold under a dozen names. they are ok for their price but you get what you pay for.
Yes, they’re OK for the price. They work as a bicycle.

A Rad Rover fat bike is about about 70 lbs with fenders.

Everything I looked at weighed about the same.

Where are those lighter fat bikes?

Back