Rad Mini Step Thru 2 vs Lectric XP Step Thru

bigcanoe

Rad Mini Step Thru 2 ($1499) - This bike seems to have slightly better components, a 720W motor, 14ah battery, 180mm disc, and front suspension.
Lextric XP Step Thru - This one is significantly cheaper, 500W motor, 10.4ah battery, 160mm disc, and comes with a rear rack.
I am trying to decide which one would be right for me. My heart says Rad my wallet says Lextric. Anyone ridden or compared both in person?

I'm not sure the motors are different. Rad has always used it's peak power rating in it's marketing. I believe the Rads are 500 watts continuous and 750 peak. The RadMini does have front suspension, which I would think would be nice to have on those small, 20 inch tires. Style wise, I like the integrated battery with the XP. The RadMini Step Thru looks like a mess to me, but both bikes have large, loyal followings. Good luck.

Ya, I think thats correct, same motor. The Lectric has exposed cables which I dont like quite as much as the ones that go through the frames, look wise. But otherwise its nice looking.

Ya, I think thats correct, same motor. The Lectric has exposed cables which I dont like quite as much as the ones that go through the frames, look wise. But otherwise its nice looking.

We have the XP and added front forks from Aliexpress for around 180 bucks total including additional required parts. It rides really nice. We also switched out handlebars and long stem for bmx bars. I don't like the look of bikes with the motor strapped on...

You can upgrade to a 180mm rotor and a caliper adapter for less than $20 per wheel, but you only need it in the front.

Probably a similar motor. I can't help you with the battery size, but I think they look nicer hidden inside the frame. I've done fork upgrades. Not hard as far as bich wrenching is concerned. Bought air shocks for my Ecotric for $120 shipped.

Attachments

• Lectric w front suspension.jpg
    Lectric w front suspension.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 833
  • Lectric wrapped.jpg
    Lectric wrapped.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 674
You can upgrade to a 180mm rotor and a caliper adapter for less than $20 per wheel, but you only need it in the front.

Probably a similar motor. I can't help you with the battery size, but I think they look nicer hidden inside the frame. I've done fork upgrades. Not hard as far as bich wrenching is concerned. Bought air shocks for my Ecotric for $120 shipped.

Not sure if we need a bigger rotor for the XP. Adding the hydraulic brakes took 10 minutes and they work really well. Quiet and great stopping power-for 40 bucks! I think I bought an extra pair of pads for $10...

I'm not sure the motors are different. Rad has always used it's peak power rating in it's marketing. I believe the Rads are 500 watts continuous and 750 peak.
I agree 100% with this comment. I wish each manufacturer were required to state the nominal and peak watts to help folks differentiate between bikes and also for truth in advertising. I’m jumping into this chat late because I’m making the same decision but not the step thru variant. The one point I wanted to add that isn’t already listed is that you can buy a second XP battery for $300 at a later date if range is your worry. With two batteries you still come out under the price of the Rad Mini and will have better range.

Final point I’d make is that if you like to tinker and want a bike to “grow” with you via modifications, Rad is the better option if you want to upgrade to a true 750 watt motor or update the controller. Third party vendors make business decisions on volume opportunity and Rad is the clear winner there but Lextric is likely to catch up if it hasn’t already. Bolton a company that makes after market upgrade kits focuses most of his efforts on the Rad bikes as one example of this point.

Personally, I’m still torn and think the front suspension will be the decider for me. I’ve heard that upgrading the XP to add suspension ruins the ability for the bike to fold neatly and since the Rad Mini was built with it already included, that’s a means less hassles for me since if I went with the XPit would be to mod the bike over time into a true equal to the Rad Mini.

I actually bought the Lectric XP in late November. And a couple of weeks ago, gifted it to my wife. And last week, ordered myself a Rad Rover Step Thru. Hahaha! I decided I wanted the bigger tires and front suspension after all.

I actually bought the Lectric XP in late November. And a couple of weeks ago, gifted it to my wife. And last week, ordered myself a Rad Rover Step Thru. Hahaha! I decided I wanted the bigger tires and front suspension after all.

Glad it worked out for you! Your decisions are scary similar to mine! The bike I really want is the Rad Rover but I’m worried about getting traveling with it. I like the Rad Mini/Lectric XP as an alternative because I can put it in my car trunk without need for an industrial bike rack.

Yes we are on the same page! I decided I would get a Harbor Freight motorcycle hitch carrier for mine. But its hard to beat the folding of the Rad Minis. But the quality and support of the XP are great too. I dont think you can go wrong with either if you want folding and the 20" tires. I guess you could add a suspension fork to the XP too.

Yes we are on the same page! I decided I would get a Harbor Freight motorcycle hitch carrier for mine. But its hard to beat the folding of the Rad Minis. But the quality and support of the XP are great too. I dont think you can go wrong with either if you want folding and the 20" tires. I guess you could add a suspension fork to the XP too.
I went with the Lectric XP as well and ordered it this past Monday. I figured I could use the difference in price on a second battery and random upgrades like the 11-34 freewheel and a suspension seat post. Can’t wait for it to arrive!

I’ve ridden both Lectric and Rad mini, though the XP was a year ago, before upgrades.
Both are terrific bikes, more affordable than most. I researched bikes for quite awhile during pandemic. It helped to have this task to engage in. I had no ebike experience, but found myself coming down to these two.

The Rad is sort of smoother. Slightly better components. The XP more raw, which feels best in some ways, but not in others. XP pedal assist kicks in stronger and is more help on steep hills. That stronger kicking in is almost TOO strong sometimes. I had to be careful not to almost lose control. I was inexperienced, though, and I’m sure that was part of it.

There are goid YouTube videos comparing the 2bikes.

When the RAD mini stepthru went on sale for August for $200 off, the price difference was much less, snd I ordered the RAD. Got it in a week, and am very pleased. It was a challenge for me doing some of the assembly, but I treated it as an adventure, got the required tools, took my time, and it added to the pleasure. Got RAD support on a couple of things, and they were very helpful. Their videos are good

I love my RAD, and I’m sure I’d have loved the XP too. Good things to say sbout both. If price us a real concern, you’ll be happy with XP. or order RAD mini now while it’s on sale ( I imagine in response to XP upgrades, or maybe because RAD has upgrades of their own coming

Back