Rad Mini as a city bike???

jowday

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into buying a Rad Mini step-over (would be my first ebike), but I'd like to know how the Rad Mini does as a city bike. I live in Chicago so a folding fat tire bike sounds very appealing, given that Chicago has pothole ridden streets and I would be able to take it inside with me. But would the Rad Mini be able to handle potholes with the 20 inch wheels? If not, then I might consider buying the Rad Rover instead, however the drawback there would be I wouldn't be able to fit it in my car (I drive a Honda Fit).

Anyways, if there are any city-dwelling Rad Mini owners out there I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

You might want to post in the Rad Facebook group. There is over 18,000 members. I have a city and city st so I can't answer but I know a lot of people like the mini and it fits in a storage bin.

I've had my radrover since 2016. The rover and mini come in at the same weight; but, the Rover is one large beast with the 26" fat tires. It will take up so much space on the road, car, at work, and at home. The Radrover rim is 26"; but, the tire circumference is closer to 28"-29" size. I have a full size 7 seat SUV (Acura MDX) and one rover takes up the entire folded down 2nd row and rear hatch area. I can see the front/rear fat tires from my side view mirrors when I put my rovers on my platform bike rack. A Honda Fit's overall size is about the same footprint of just my cabin area of my SUV.

I purchased the Radcity step-thru for my wife and it is night-day difference for her for handling, braking, riding, and storage compared to her rover. Both ebike weigh the same; but, feel different with the nod going to the Radcity. The big advantage of the mini step is you can store in a tighter space and transport without a bike rack. The only downside is it might not fit on a bus bike rack because of the 4" fat tires (might have to fold and haul it into the bus). You can always upgrade the mini tires to urban type that might be 2.5"-3" wide?

The fat tires and front suspension do help with pot holes and rough roads along with padded riding shorts, larger seat, and suspension seatpost (cloud-9 11.5X12.5 cruiser seat + Bodyfloat v2.0 seatpost).

Back