Rad City Step through in Montreal

gouthro

Hello everyone,
As the title says, I bought a Rad City step through and it easily takes me all over the hills of Montreal! Don't use the car much, anymore. Of course the winter is coming. It will change, then. The bike came in the spring, on time, as advertised. not very hard to put together. Got to get out a lot while the Covid was raging. That was nice.

Although I love the bike, one thing bothers me a bit and was wondering if I buy another bike for my wife one day, whether there was another option. I notice that it is not very easy to peddle without electric assist. I had hoped for a bike that could be used as a regular bike, to get more exercise, and one that could have power assist when needed. I find often in the city that power assist takes me along a little too fast.

One solution I found was to just turn the throttle slightly, without having power assist on. This doesn't even register on the screen as power assist. But, it makes it a little easier to peddle. So, in my first post, I have two questions. Are there some bikes that peddle well without power assist? And secondly, does it hurt the bike to open the throttle a little like this? And a bonus question: are there other ways around this problem?
thanks G

Hi and welcome gouthro, welcome to EBR. There is plenty of help here from friendly people. I have the Aventon Pace 500 and it’s a breeze to pedal. If I want to get a workout, I ride without power or PAS 0 and it’s like riding a regular bike. The difference between the Rad City is that your throttle is power on demand, where as the Aventon, you have to pedal about 1/4 turn before it engages. But the throttle is variable speed, so that you can control it. Not a problem after getting used to it. I doubt very much that using the the throttle without having power assist on harms the bike. I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck and ride safe.

Hi and welcome gouthro, welcome to EBR. There is plenty of help here from friendly people. I have the Aventon Pace 500 and it’s a breeze to pedal. If I want to get a workout, I ride without power or PAS 0 and it’s like riding a regular bike. The difference between the Rad City is that your throttle is power on demand, where as the Aventon, you have to pedal about 1/4 turn before it engages. But the throttle is variable speed, so that you can control it. Not a problem after getting used to it. I doubt very much that using the the throttle without having power assist on harms the bike. I hope this helps you a bit. Good luck and ride safe.
I am new to this too, but my experience with a mid-motor bike is that it pedals easily with the power off, or on zero assist. I have read here somewhere that rear hub motors don't free-wheel very well, making pedaling without power more difficult.

Hello everyone,
As the title says, I bought a Rad City step through and it easily takes me all over the hills of Montreal! Don't use the car much, anymore. Of course the winter is coming. It will change, then. The bike came in the spring, on time, as advertised. not very hard to put together. Got to get out a lot while the Covid was raging. That was nice.

Although I love the bike, one thing bothers me a bit and was wondering if I buy another bike for my wife one day, whether there was another option. I notice that it is not very easy to peddle without electric assist. I had hoped for a bike that could be used as a regular bike, to get more exercise, and one that could have power assist when needed. I find often in the city that power assist takes me along a little too fast.

One solution I found was to just turn the throttle slightly, without having power assist on. This doesn't even register on the screen as power assist. But, it makes it a little easier to peddle. So, in my first post, I have two questions. Are there some bikes that peddle well without power assist? And secondly, does it hurt the bike to open the throttle a little like this? And a bonus question: are there other ways around this problem?
thanks G
Hey i live in montreal also it took awhile to decide but i finally choose the radmission this week, researched alot way too many choices, would of thought radcity was to much bike for me im 5.7 ,too heavy i live on second floor!as for your inquiry dont forget that rad city has drag if you try to spin the back wheel even with your hand it stops very fast doesn't spin at all, you have regen motor !!!the mission free wheels alot like a regular bike , if im not mistaken radrover free wheels also, would you mind telling me how tall are you and is the radcity comfortable sitting position how are you with the high handlebar?See you on the road in November if i get bike before we have snow☺️😁happy trails

Last edited:
Hey i live in montreal also it took awhile to decide but i finally choose the radmission this week, researched alot way too many choices, would of thought radcity was to much bike for me im 5.7 ,too heavy i live on second floor!as for your inquiry dont forget that rad city has drag if you try to spin the back wheel even with your hand it stops very fast doesn't spin at all, you have regen motor !!!the mission free wheels alot like a regular bike , if im not mistaken radrover free wheels also, would you mind telling me how tall are you and is the radcity comfortable sitting position how are you with the high handlebar?See you on the road in November if i get bike before we have snow☺️😁happy trails
thanks everyone for all the responses. i guess « freewheel » is the terminology that i was looking for. And no, the Radcity doesn’t seem to freewheel. I think if i were to get another bike I would look for that feature. Although I can easily work around it, it would be nice to have it.

kayaker, thanks for the response. i also have a kayak and will be looking for a way to build a trailer for the kayak

Adrian, Iam also about 5’7. i am also a bit too heavy and a bit older. We live in a house, so i don’t have to carry it up stairs. it is pretty heavy and that might just be impossible. I originally bought the Radcity step through so that my wife could also use it. There is no real problem with the height. The seat is quite adjustable. i do feel a little odd at times,though, because the seat seems low. No real problem, though.

I really like the upright handlebars and that was one of the reasons I bought the bike. I am no longer a racer, if I ever was one. I have only ridden a tenspeed bent over type bike before. I don’t much like that position and even changed the handle bars on my old bike. But, this one is much better than I could have imagined. It is comfortable. And curiously, I feel much safer in city riding with it. I don’t know exactly why. Maybe because I am sitting upright, with a nice view all around me, rather than bent over with tunnel vision directly in front of me.

Despite the reservations mentioned I am still quite happy with it. Happier than I thought I would be, in fact.
thanks again, G

Hello everyone,

thanks G
Welcome! From another Montrealer.

Photos of your bike on the streets of Montreal would be most welcome!

My bike is a Giant Explore E+1 which is a class 1 bike without a throttle. I can pedal it quite well without power assist but usually use the lowest (of 5) assist levels. Still get a workout that way.

Cheers!

thanks everyone for all the responses. i guess « freewheel » is the terminology that i was looking for. And no, the Radcity doesn’t seem to freewheel. I think if i were to get another bike I would look for that feature. Although I can easily work around it, it would be nice to have it.

kayaker, thanks for the response. i also have a kayak and will be looking for a way to build a trailer for the kayak

Adrian, Iam also about 5’7. i am also a bit too heavy and a bit older. We live in a house, so i don’t have to carry it up stairs. it is pretty heavy and that might just be impossible. I originally bought the Radcity step through so that my wife could also use it. There is no real problem with the height. The seat is quite adjustable. i do feel a little odd at times,though, because the seat seems low. No real problem, though.

I really like the upright handlebars and that was one of the reasons I bought the bike. I am no longer a racer, if I ever was one. I have only ridden a tenspeed bent over type bike before. I don’t much like that position and even changed the handle bars on my old bike. But, this one is much better than I could have imagined. It is comfortable. And curiously, I feel much safer in city riding with it. I don’t know exactly why. Maybe because I am sitting upright, with a nice view all around me, rather than bent over with tunnel vision directly in front of me.

Despite the reservations mentioned I am still quite happy with it. Happier than I thought I would be, in fact.
thanks again, G
Gouthro: I don't haul my kayak behind my bike, but I know a guy who does. He made a very elaborate trailer, using bicycle wheels. The power boost of an ebike should make towing a trailer very feasible.

Me too local Montrealer I'm riding a similar ebike with throttle
I find this type best suited for me and 6.2 heavy and older. Luv the speed and the range. Friend has the Specialized turbo vado and she loves it

Back