Rad City Step Through availability

kenmorse

On the Rad Power facebook page, I see a fair # of people who already have the Step Through. Seems curious cause Rad Power website says not available until March. What's the story? Planning to buy, hard to wait...

I believe those are from the people who pre-ordered it. The March date is for new orders from what I could tell!

Hi all, I'm not affiliated with RPB.
Around the first part of March RAD sent out notices and listed them as being in stock on the web page for the Step Thru. Sold out in just a few hours but more are on the way in April. Get on their mailing list if you want one. I've been riding mine. Anybody else here have one?

I would deffinitely recommend getting on the mailing list, if only to get that first headsup when they come back in stock and then unsubscribing (thought, frankly, they aren't spammy so far). I got the email and ordered my bike, and about 5 hours later they were out of stock. They are apparently in a little bit of demand (I'm at 44miles on the Odey, and I can totally see why), so that headsup on the availability may be the edge you need to actually catch one until the interest dies down.

I'm getting good use out of mine, doing a lot of trail riding too. Probably start seeing some new videos on Youtube as more of them get distributed. The pedal assist is exhilarating. I'm working on a little review on it so will be posting it in a new thread soon.

Hopefully, the step thru will be available after May 1st. The wife and I was in Newport Beach, CA, and rented the step thru and 18 Radrover for about 3 hours (shout out to SportsRents LLC). She is 4'11" and the our current 16 Radrovers are a touch too large for her. She loved the way the step thru rode and handled. She even had to raise the seat a few inches on the Step-thru ebike (something she never had to do her entire life on a bike).

I hope Rad Power Bikes will not sell out too fast with this model.

Hello mrgold35,
The Step-Thru does sell out very fast. The last batch sold out in minutes and they sent out a cute little followup message promising to build more of them. Best to be on their mailing list and then submit your order as soon as you receive the notification message.
I was fortunate to get mine on the first go-around and I love it. Stepping onto the City Step-Thru after riding the Rover is like stepping into a Porsche 911. Everything is more compact, and more of tight sporty feeling when riding it. I use it mostly for my rides around the neighborhood, errands, and whatever because it is meant for that sort of thing. The Rover is for the long haul and getting down & gritty in the dirt. Heh... Love 'em both. Good Luck. The next batch of Step-Thru's is due early in May.

I'm on the mailing list. I also emailed Rad Power Bikes to see if I could put down a deposit or pay in full now to reserve one for later; but, no-go. Out of town traveling next week and don't want to miss the email notification if I don't have coverage or unable to respond in time.

It would be nice if all difficulties in life were this hard.

Hello mrgold35,
I was never notified about the early May batch of Step-Thrus. Now they have posted the next batch will be in late May. Hope you managed to score one.
All the orders for bikes must be driving them nuts. As of last Friday, there were still some white Minis available but the black ones sold out earlier in the week. I checked Saturday and all the white Minis had sold out. I checked again today - still sold out. Made one final check around 4PM and white Minis were listed again, so I ordered one before they could all disappear again. Got one on the way.

Well, it is late May and still no email or Rad webpage update on availability. Looks like May "may" turn into June. :(

There ya go... I just got a notice too. Follow their instructions and I'm sure you will get one from this batch.
Have to wonder how many they get at a time? Gotta be in the hundreds...
GOOD LUCK, mrgold35!

They will be busy for the next few days processing all the orders. Probably receive a transaction completed notice either today or tomorrow.
Looks like many of the other companies are experiencing the same shortages of bikes as well, so its a sign that bicycling is getting real popular.
RPB is probably using the most fair way since the demand so greatly outnumbers the supply. Orders are likely processed according to the time they are submitted.
It kinda reminds me of when Amazon held auctions for all the sale items on Black Friday. Had to be there at the time the item went on auction and when the icon changed, clicking it placed your bid. The amount of buyers made it all very INSANE!
About two seconds later, a message would appear whether you were successful or if put on a waiting list. It was CRAZY sitting there waiting to bid only to get a message back saying all 500 items were sold and you are now 96th on the waiting list! All that occurred in just in TWO MEASLY SECONDS!
Chances were you would end up with whatever you wanted anyway, but probably problematic for customer service.
Be sure and keep us posted mrgold35...

From what I can tell, RPB was sold out of the Step-Thru in about 10 minutes. Next batch due in early June.

They even had people camped out overnight at their Seattle store. 170 or so bikes sold online in 3 minutes and another 15 at the store sold in the first hour they opened.

The wife's Radcity arrived late afternoon on 5/31/18 by UPS. The shipping box was in pretty good condition with only one large rip on the side. Looks like Rad Power Bikes made some improvements on the shipping boxes because this one looked thicker, more stiff foam padding around the entire ebike, and the Radcity had a lot of foam sheets protecting bike parts and paint secured with zip ties all over it. Even the laziest UPS worker would have to put some effort into damaging the ebike.

I didn't order anything extra from Rad other than the ebike. I just needed to put on the pedals, handle bars, front tire, front fender, seat with seatpost, add front light, pump up tires to 55 psi, double-check power connections and the tq of all screws/bolts, and adjust the brakes. I also put the battery on the charger 1st thing and left it there until it showed a green light a few hours later. The two things I had to adjust was the front brake cable because the cable was ran behind the forks instead of in-front and a lot of spokes were not tq the same (some took 3-4 turns to tq)

I also added Mr. Tuffy liners and Stans tire sealant, 1859 Northwest thumb throttle, 2 large Lizard skins clear frame protector on the road side of drop bar and step-thru area, Vibrelli iphone mount, Topeak MTX rack bag, and Niterider handlebar light mount. I just moved the wife's Cloud-9 cruiser seat with Bodyfloat from her Radrover over to the Radcity.

The wife rode the bike a little bit without the battery because it was still charging. Planning on longer rides this evening and over the weekend.

Radcity.JPG

Last edited:
Back