Rad city or Ride 1up 700?

Beanbuzz

Absolutely cannot decide! Going back and forth. Anyone owning either of these? My goal is to be able to have feet flat on ground while sitting. I’m 5’9” with a 30” Inseam.

To me, a more important property than the height is direct drive motor vs geared motor. The former in Rad CIty is quieter, but heavier and does not coast as well. Magnets in the motor have some drag,

Rad city is probably better suited for commuting where you just want to get to work, Ride 1UP better suited for recreational riding where you want the fun of biking,.

Good choice ! While Rad has been very successful, I think their product line is becoming dated and being surpassed by other entrants now. The Ride1up 700 is slightly lighter, sleaker (integrated battery), stronger motor (1000 watt peak vs 750 peak for Rad, and geared with 52 nm torque vs 40 for the direct drive Rad), and has hydraulic brakes. I've ridden the RadCity twice and find it a bit of a clunker, but it has been a very popular bike, just think the Ride1up is a better choice ... as a commuter or recreational, IMHO.

Last edited:
Good choice ! While Rad has been very successful, I think their product line is becoming dated and being surpassed by other entrants now. The Ride1up 700 is slightly lighter, sleaker (integrated battery), stronger motor (1000 watt peak vs 750 for Rad, and geared with 53 nm torque vs 40 for the direct drive Rad), and has hydraulic brakes. I've ridden the RadCity twice and find it a bit of a clunker, but it has been a very popular bike, just think the Ride1up is a better choice IMHO.
Thanks. I’m hoping for the best. Come on Fedex!

You won't get 'flat foot' position while seated on either ebike design, and have proper leg extension. You would need to have chosen a pedal forward design to get that. Your knees will likely be bent more than they should be and that could cause knee pain, but I have seen a lot of people ignore that when choosing an ebike.

Some people are able to ignore full leg extension because they don't have (or don't need) to pedal as strongly with electric assist. My wife has her seat all the way down to get her flat foot position. Pedal forward designs tend to result in more sedate bikes, like beach cruisers.

There's bikes like the Day 6, which has what looks like a lazy boy recliner for a seat.

Some people are able to ignore full leg extension because they don't have (or don't need) to pedal as strongly with electric assist. My wife has her seat all the way down to get her flat foot position. Pedal forward designs tend to result in more sedate bikes, like beach cruisers.

There's bikes like the Day 6, which has what looks like a lazy boy recliner for a seat.
Sedate ? Not really. The Aventon Pace 500 is pedal forward geometry, and is anything but sedate. Also, the Magnum low Rider and Magnum Cruiser, Magnum Ranger, are pedal forward and many of those customers buying them, report how they love how fast they can ride and how comfortable they are on their knees. Electra has their pedal forward geometries too.
If someone wants to ride in a more lean forward position, then certainly the 700 would provide that posture. Some people who commute regularly prefer that. I find that most people coming in my shop buying ebikes prefer a more upright posture. I was only responding to the mention that he wanted to be flat foot while seated. For most geometries with crank more directly below the seat, that would put the seat 2" to 3" lower than it should be for proper leg extension if truly desiring 'flat feet' on the ground.
Yes electric assist can offset that from the perspective of not needing as much leg strength, and if it a very occasional recreational ride. Much more to it than that, iif a person wants to ride a lot more and not suffer injuries. (Back, knees, wrist pain, can all come from improper fit, and especially when it comes from a desire to be more grounded while seated).

Often older people coming in to buy ebikes complain about knee problems while riding. 7 times out of 10, it's due to improper seat height on their existing regular bike. I know other regular shops who make a very nice income because they focus strongly on proper fitting. In the ebike industry that fitting is often ignored, especially as evidenced by all the people buying sight unseen and unridden on line. One size fits all frames are more one like 'one size fits very few.' Ebike oems like Rad who are trying to unload product in volume and low cost, need that one size fits all approach. Good for their bottom line - not so good for the unsuspecting consumer. Multiple frame sizes are more costly, for the OEM, and require carrying a wider product mix.

Anyway proper fit is not just in seat height, but reach, and other parameters. Ever notice how widely body shapes vary ? Long and short torsos, different arm lengths. Even pelvis differences can have a big impact. Then folks try to compensate by seat choice and mess with that a lot. Going by a person's height or inseam is a very crude way to get the right fit.

It's frankly amazing to see how people have contorted themselves and say they enjoy their bike, over the years. Honestly in part that's why those bikes sit in the garage way more than they probably would have been, had they gotten a proper fitting. It's hurt the industry for sure. Suddenly now that there is all the assist front a motor, it's like everyone is back to enjoying biking, but still not necessarily doing their bodies any favors with poor fits. I can see it immediately when I go out riding and see so many other riders on their ebikes with terrible posture and position. But hey as long as they don't have to do much work, they have a smile on their face.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't get 'flat foot' position while seated on either ebike design, and have proper leg extension. You would need to have chosen a pedal forward design to get that. Your knees will likely be bent more than they should be and that could cause knee pain, but I have seen a lot of people ignore that when choosing an ebike.
I know I’m taking a chance here . Just hoping for the best. And I did get to try an Electra Townie at my local b/m and absolutely loved the fit for me. Thought long and hard and just couldn’t justify 1500.00 price tag on a very basic bare bones bike. I really like the throttle feature which the Townie doesn’t have. I’m an older guy and my choices are limited due to needing a step thru. My research told me that the Townie had a patent on the pedal forward feet flat. Could be wrong. Seems like the Ride 1up offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
FWIW, my wife and I had Electra Townies (not electric), and they had a literal pedal forward design where the center of the crank is about 100 mm forward of the bottom of the seat tube. In addition, the seat tube is raked way back. So the combination was advertised to allow riders to flat foot, even with proper leg extension. I'm 6'1", and I never could flat foot the Townie, (with proper leg extension), in spite of marketing claims.

We finally got rid of them, after taking them to Colorado and finding out that the "semi recumbent" riding position, was not very good when climbing hills. I also found them uncomfortable from a "leaned back" riding position, which, while maybe good, for short rides, was very hard on the back for long rides.

The biggest and most frequent "fit" mistake I see, is riders with their seats too low to get proper leg extension. This can be corrected by simply raising the seat, assuming they have the proper frame size. Finally, perhaps the more important factor, for those who are wanting to be able to "flat foot", is to get a step thru frame.

Last edited:
Back