Racks for Hydra

BruceBrown

Region
USA
City
Kansas City
There was another thread discussing bike racks for the Helios.

I'll be in the market for a new rack capable of carrying a couple of eMTBs and one will always be my Hydra. I need a hitch mount, preferably aluminum, but strong enough to carry two without issues.

Anyone have a recommendation? The Thule EasyFold XT2 looks interesting, especially with the loading ramp but the reviews are all over the place with it.

I have the Thule EasyFold XT2, and a huge fat tire ebike. The Thule is super portable easy-to-transport and store but it's also kind of small for the huge bike. I hope it will handle both the fat tire and the new Helios

The Thule XT2 is rated for a maximum of 130 pounds - 65 pounds per bike. I think that's a bit light for a fully equipped Helios, especially if you add the second battery. The 1UP mentioned in the other thread is rated for 2 75 pound bikes. In addition, 1UP explicitly states that the rack is rated for RV or trailer mounting. The XT2 does not state. I don't know if you plan on putting the rack on a SUV or an RV/trailer, but being rated for that use means a much sturdier rack, as the bouncing on the back of an RV magnifies forces.

I'm asking about a Hydra instead of a Helios. It would be on an SUV not an RV. If the weather is decent, I'd also likely travel with the batteries in the vehicle and not on the bikes. The Hydra is +/- 58lbs so even the heavier builds should be under 65lbs.

I’ve had two 70lb bikes on a Hollywood rack Fat bike version.. not the best looking rack but solid like rock!

I bought a Thule EasyFold XT2 to carry two bikes-my wife's Commuter styled ebike and my mountain/road ebike.
I found mounting one bike an easy task, but trying to fit the locking arm through the first bike to attach to the second bike was a real PITA. It was easier when I loaded my carbon road bike instead of my much bulkier e-bike.
I know that others really like theirs, but I really disliked mine and sold it last year.

Hollywood Sport Rider for eBikes - Rock solid!
  • Capacity: Two Bikes (Max. 80 lbs per bike)
  • Hitch Size: 2” only (Do not use a 1 ¼” -2” hitch adapter)
  • Maximum bike wheelbase: 60”
  • Maximum tire width: 5”
  • Features extra heavy duty wheel holders (Now with a ratchet straps and rim protectors), an internally reinforced frame and external brace for heavy load carrying capacity
  • Includes keyed alike locking hitch pin, 8’ security cable and locking frame hooks
  • Patented “No-Wobble Hitch System" eliminates slack between the receiver and the rack without the use of tools
  • Folds flat against car when not in use
  • Tilts down for easy cargo door access
  • Space between bikes: 10"

I ended up buying the 1up-USA bike rack after doing a ton of research and received it a couple days ago. I got the 2” Super Duty double which can easily handle the weight of two ebikes.

This is not a cheap bike rack, but after receiving it I understand the price. The quality is outstanding, and with the attachment points only being on the tires it will be great for a carbon framed Hydra or Helios. It’s extremely well made and packaged and I have no doubt it’s built to last.

They have a unique Allen wrench tool that comes with the rack that is used to tighten it inside the hitch receiver by pushing up a steel ball out of the top left corner. This design eliminates wobbling and after a quick drive with it I can say it works really well. My Thule rack moves around and is much noisier when going over bumps.

There are a ton of YouTube videos and reviews out there for anyone else interested in checking it out. I’m definitely a satisfied customer.

I just ordered one yesterday. They have been out of stock for a while and I was on a waiting list. Yesterday they notified me that I could order. However, shipping (free) is 5 to 6 weeks, unless you pay for FedEx 2-day, which ships in a week - for over $300. Not paying that. Still a tossup over whether I get the rack or the bike first, I guess.

I ordered some accessories with mine including the EZ Pull, ramp and some wheel locks.

I would recommend the EZ Pull. If you want to adjust the angle of the rack you have to reach way under it to pull a lever and if the rack is loaded it's a pain to get to. The EZ Pull extends that lever to the back of the rack. In my opinion, it should be standard but it makes a big difference on how easy it is to make adjustments such as raising or lowering both loaded and unloaded.

I'm not really sold on the ramp and the entire kit. What I am sold on is the bolt and clevis pin which you could get at any hardware store which will allow the racheting wheel holder to move backwards and down to the ground. Just with that I think you could load your front wheel easily and then lift your back wheel into place without using the ramp. I also think the ramp is much more valuable for the holder closest to the vehicle for a heavy ebike because if you can lift your bike getting it into place on the holder closest to you is a lot easier than lifting and bending over that area to get to the position closest to the vehicle. I may or may not even use the actual ramp, I'll have to wait until I get my bike.

These are really nice racks. Made in Wisconsin from aluminum. The sides are milled from 3/4” stock.

They’re shipping for racks previously ordered. I’ve been on their wait list and just got an email last week about additional delays and offering refunds. They’re months behind like so many others for the same issues.
This is version two of the 1up with some mods and fear that are standard instead of extra. I would have bought that if I didn’t have a trip in June. I couldn’t wait.

Wow the 1up is probably the best rack I had ever seen until I saw this video. That takes the little imperfections like having to undo and Allen head instead of just a quick clip to change the tire bar height or fold the wheel holder all the way down so you can load a bike from the side. it also adds more than $300 to the price. Personally I won’t have a problem with removing an Allen head and I don’t think I’ll ever own a fat tire so I don’t have any regrets. I wonder how far out they are.

Last edited:
Back