Attachments

• FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 1,305

Attachments

• C71E921B-19E4-4468-829C-06F2DAC67C83.jpeg
    C71E921B-19E4-4468-829C-06F2DAC67C83.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 569
Do different markets have different chain rings maybe? Australia has the 25km/h limit model so may have a smaller one than the US where it's 45km/h? All those pics definitely have bigger chain rings than mine as you can see the teeth extend above the size of the top of the motor, and it also looks different as the band that has the teeth on it is a lot wider than my one.

Here's a pic, first pic is mine (apologies it's hard to see with the guard on), the second pic is a zoom in of the above bike. Look at the space between the bolt and the teeth, and then the inside space and the teeth. It's a lot smaller on mine than the others, so I reckon the stock images used on Giant's website are of my configuration (smaller chain ring with chain guard) whereas you guys are getting a bigger chain ring with no guard.
It would be good to know how many teeth your chain ring has as I'm guessing it's 48 or higher (mine is 42)

Attachments

• cr.jpg
    cr.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 521
  • cr2.jpg
    cr2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 517
Here's a pic, first pic is mine (apologies it's hard to see with the guard on), the second pic is a zoom in of the above bike. Look at the space between the bolt and the teeth, and then the inside space and the teeth. It's a lot smaller on mine than the others, so I reckon the stock images used on Giant's website are of my configuration (smaller chain ring with chain guard) whereas you guys are getting a bigger chain ring with no guard.
It would be good to know how many teeth your chain ring has as I'm guessing it's 48 or higher (mine is 42)

I Emailed my LBS who is also a Giant dealership and they have four 2019 Quick E+ on display and none of them have the guard. He didn't know it had a guard until he looked at the Giant web site. Have not been able to take a picture of my wife's Quick E+ she loves riding so much, we also picked up a 2018 Quick E+ at a discount it has an FSA,36/48 duel crankset when I get the chance I'll compare the size.

Not sure, I assume the speed is read from the sensor on the back wheel. I'll do some GPS speed readings before and after to confirm
Yes, speed is read off the wheel magnet. There is also a speed/torque sensor on the crankset. That doesn’t measure bike speed, just your pedal input for when/how hard to run the motor.

Hi Guys, I managed to get an extended demo of a Quick-E so I could try my commute. A funny thing happened in that it seemed like really hard work to me and I complained to the dealer. I reckoned I was getting Zero assistance when riding at 23-25km/h and this was backed up by using only 4 % battery over 30km (probably the lights). Anyway, this bike had had the battery replaced and for some reason they have a mode for the testers at the factory which restricts the bike to 18km/h before assistance cuts out and the battery replacement had triggered the bike to go back into this mode! I took it back to the dealer who took it for a spin and pressed a combination of buttons that fixed it ---- hmmm, makes me wonder if they can 'de-restrict' totally just with a few button presses !!!!.

So the dealer brought the bike back round to my house so that I could get another chance and I rode it to Melbourne CBD today.

I have to say that it's a fantastic tool - grips and saddle are a little bit uncomfortable, but I found I could ride it at 25-27km/h all the time easily. (Aussie bikes are restricted to 25km/h by the way). The 20km there took 56 minutes and I got the same time back again. Logged the rides in the Giant app RideControl so I can check back how I did later.

Will definitely pull the pin on one !

Interesting, are you going to investigate this mysterious button pressing he did to get into the diagnostic/setup menu? I wouldn't expect it able to totally remove the speed limitation however perhaps it is possible to change it to the limitations for different world markets.....i.e US Quick E has the capability of 28mph/40kmh.....whereas the CDN is 20/32.

Hi Guys, I managed to get an extended demo of a Quick-E so I could try my commute. A funny thing happened in that it seemed like really hard work to me and I complained to the dealer. I reckoned I was getting Zero assistance when riding at 23-25km/h and this was backed up by using only 4 % battery over 30km (probably the lights). Anyway, this bike had had the battery replaced and for some reason they have a mode for the testers at the factory which restricts the bike to 18km/h before assistance cuts out and the battery replacement had triggered the bike to go back into this mode! I took it back to the dealer who took it for a spin and pressed a combination of buttons that fixed it ---- hmmm, makes me wonder if they can 'de-restrict' totally just with a few button presses !!!!.

So the dealer brought the bike back round to my house so that I could get another chance and I rode it to Melbourne CBD today.

I have to say that it's a fantastic tool - grips and saddle are a little bit uncomfortable, but I found I could ride it at 25-27km/h all the time easily. (Aussie bikes are restricted to 25km/h by the way). The 20km there took 56 minutes and I got the same time back again. Logged the rides in the Giant app RideControl so I can check back how I did later.

Will definitely pull the pin on one !

I changed the saddle on mine, the grips are finally OK after 8 months of riding, coming into summer I'm now riding without gloves and it is not hurting my hands anymore. I've got the speedbox 2 also and it makes riding in traffic a lot safer not being stuck at 25km/h. I also got an adjustable stem to raise the handlebar to a more comfortable level

My 48T Chain ring arrived yesterday so popped in on and went for a spin.
Speed readings are still accurate (comparing with GPS app on phone)
Gears are now more useful, before I was pretty much only using the top 5 gears, now I go through the range more, and I don't run out of gears when hammering it.
Top speed is probably not that much faster as resistance kicks in around 50km/h, but it feels better getting up there.
I also pumped up the tyres to a higher pressure for road riding. I didn't check actual readings but was over 40psi. They came from the shop fairly soft for off road usage but I never go offroad. Now it feels like the bike rolls better too.
The last thing I want to do is shorten the handlebar as they are a mountain bike type width which feels too wide on some tight city paths. I think they're 690mm standard so might cut about 60mm off to make it not so obtrusive.

I took 20mm or 30mm off each side of my handlebar also as they were too wide, I just used a hacksaw and filed the ends afterwards.
My tyres are pumped up to 60psi

Wow 60psi, what tyres? Mine are only rated to 50 and when I got to 40 they were pretty tight. I had the front wheel off and can bounce it like a ball :)

I've got the Schwalbe Big Ben 27.5X2" which inflates up to 70psi.
Google says your G-One should also inflate to 70psi max.

My 48T Chain ring arrived yesterday so popped in on and went for a spin.
Speed readings are still accurate (comparing with GPS app on phone)
Gears are now more useful, before I was pretty much only using the top 5 gears, now I go through the range more, and I don't run out of gears when hammering it.
Top speed is probably not that much faster as resistance kicks in around 50km/h, but it feels better getting up there.
I also pumped up the tyres to a higher pressure for road riding. I didn't check actual readings but was over 40psi. They came from the shop fairly soft for off road usage but I never go offroad. Now it feels like the bike rolls better too.
The last thing I want to do is shorten the handlebar as they are a mountain bike type width which feels too wide on some tight city paths. I think they're 690mm standard so might cut about 60mm off to make it not so obtrusive.

I've done a few commutes on the loan bike now - they aren't coming to collect it so why not. I'm finding that I like a Cadence of about 63-64 which equates to 32-33km/h in top gear. I'm wondering what speed that might equal with a 48 tooth?

I've been riding every day for a couple of months now so am getting fitter and can sit on a cadence of about 80rpm (down to about 70rpm up hill). I'm also finding I no longer need the Sport modes, I can get by in Eco/Eco+ and use Normal just for hills or if I want to race some cars :)
I don't have many flat roads here so it's hard to tell as some roads that look flat are actually slightly uphill or downhill and this can make a difference of over 10km/h. I've found myself getting up to 50km/h in spots, but that is probably on a slight decline.
This is only short burst of sprinting, so normally I'm probably cruising somewhere around 38-42km/h which is actually an ideal speed for commuting since cars don't get much faster than that in rush hour.

Back