Quick E+ US vs CDN 28MPH/20MPH?

Ron from BC

Now I'm clearly getting ahead of myself as I haven't even bought an e-bike yet but as my search has pretty much ended up with declaring the Quick E+ the winner for me I'm looking at the details.

On reviews and specs of the Quick E+ US and Germany etc they readily list the top assisted speed as 28MPH/45KMH. This spec is even included on the relevant Giant web site. Now the Canadian model has the max speed of 20MPH/32KMH which is in keeping with the regulations.

Now in my pea brain I'm assuming the these bikes are all made the same so what is governing the lesser max speed in the CDN model? I've read of hacks to change the speed limiter but I would assume that it's something much easier like a software or config change in the setup menu of the display? I know in the Pedego display you can adjust the max speed in the set up in the display.

This is just a curiosity.....thanks in advance!

Giant uses a custom Yamaha system. I have never heard of a setting that a dealer can perform to program a different regulated speed.

I have a Yamaha powered Haibike; I installed a dongle...the PearTune MSO...to remove the 20 mph restriction. Technically, it removes the restriction completely; you can get support even above 28 mph.

So based on the idea that a Yamaha motor is the same across brands of ebikes, it occurs to me that the difference is the controller and display. The controller would have the firmware desired by the bike manufacturer, and modified by that manufacturer for sale in various markets.
I could be wrong, and in fact that certainly happens in my world.
Perhaps Yamaha manufactures all the controllers and displays based on bike manufacturers requirements.
None of these look like Giant displays/controls
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

But then you can put the same firmware/display in radically different looking packages.

Agreed, while there are tuning tools out there to over ride the speed limiter I suspect that the display can be flashed to change the settings. I know in the display of some brands the maximum speed is in the set up screen and can be changed by the end user.

Last edited:
The dealers can program a top speed assist limit on display bikes for customers to try out so it would not be much of a change to increase assist at higher speeds.

Interesting, as the Quick E+ in the States comes as a 28MPH bike I wonder they'd be willing to 'flash' my future Canadian 20MPH Quick E+ when I'm down south on holidays? I wouldn't mind paying a service charge.

Interesting, as the Quick E+ in the States comes as a 28MPH bike I wonder they'd be willing to 'flash' my future Canadian 20MPH Quick E+ when I'm down south on holidays? I wouldn't mind paying a service charge.
I bet they would.

Well out of curiosity I did contact a Giant Dealer in Portland OR and put this scenario to him. They were very good in looking into the matter however the final answer appears to be that the Dealers do not have the capability of programming, or at least the speed limiter area, so after contacting the Giant mothership their response was that the only way to achieve the 28MPH US speed on a Cdn Quick E+ would be for a US Dealer to order a new motor, programmed as per the US speed, and install that. I don't think I need to comment on the cost of that option....doh! Let's just say about 6-7 times more than what a SpeedBox 2 cost. :eek:

Well out of curiosity I did contact a Giant Dealer in Portland OR and put this scenario to him. They were very good in looking into the matter however the final answer appears to be that the Dealers do not have the capability of programming, or at least the speed limiter area, so after contacting the Giant mothership their response was that the only way to achieve the 28MPH US speed on a Cdn Quick E+ would be for a US Dealer to order a new motor, programmed as per the US speed, and install that. I don't think I need to comment on the cost of that option....doh! Let's just say about 6-7 times more than what a SpeedBox 2 cost. :eek:
Yeah, that's a freakin' no go! Lol.
Obviously the controller is tied to the motor, either electronically or because of dealership agreements.

Did they say if the difference was hardware or software?

I had been relatively reasured that my 25 km/ hr speed limitted pwx was " the same" as the us motor, and that all it needed was a dongle to go silly speeds. ( not that I intend to do that) . I guess I thought of my motor as under stressed - but it might make sense for giant to optimise internal gearing etc for whatever market they are selling to?

The specs of the Cdn and US version of the '19 Quick E+ are identical so yes I assume it's all software at the factory, the US market and some EU bikes get the flash for 28MPH and the Cdn, which is regulated to a max of 20MPH, gets their flash.

This makes sense as I know the Pedego display, in set up mode, has the max speed there which can be adjusted.

Hi, moved the magnet from tyre to frame and now using pedal to determine speed, this now means I can go 45km/h or faster, previously the motor cut out at 32km/h.

Back