Programming a new display on a BBS02

Raymond Potvin

Hi everybody,

I've had a BBS02 500W 48v for about eight years, and the display stopped working properly after a year. It would open and let me put in the assist force I needed, and it would close right after while indicating an error, but the motor would continue. Nothing but the engine worked. It started when I pedaled and stopped when I didn't. I had to close the display and reopen it to change the assist force. It was OK for me, so I didn't try to fix it, until recently the display stopped working and the engine stopped starting. I opened the display to find that the battery was leaking, so I changed it but that didn't help, so I ordered a new display, and it works but I still have to program it for the motor to start. The problem is that, seven years ago, I removed everything that didn't work, and I'm not sure I kept everything. What I would like is to be able to program the engine as it was, without the speedometer and wheel diameter and electronic brakes and the throttle etc... I don't need them, I just need that the motor starts when I'm pedaling and the assist force adjustment.

Anybody can help me out?

Thanks a lot!

Raymond

Which display do you have?
You'll probably need to input the proper battery voltage
The motor does not require the throttle or break cut outs to work.

The BBS02 works without a display, The throttle works and there is a default PAS level. I could tell you how to wire the connector, but if you buy this programming cable and leave it in place of the display, it accomplishes the same effect,

Since the program cable is used to adjust the PAS strength, I wonder if setting them all the same would cause the default PAS to behave accordingly,

Last edited:
The BBS02 works without a display, The throttle works and there is a default PAS level. I could tell you how to wire the connector, but if you buy this programming cable and leave it in place of the display, it accomplishes the same effect,

Since the program cable is used to adjust the PAS strength, I wonder if setting them all the same would cause the default PAS to behave accordingly,
Why would you want to do this? What's the benefit?
Even the cheapest of Display's is worth the price of admission

Why would you want to do this? What's the benefit?
Even the cheapest of Display's is worth the price of admission
Hey, that's what Raymond wanted. Simplicity,He doesn't even meed to spend the $13 if he cuts a slit in the cable and jumpers two wires to turn on the controller.

OK
After having gone through the Basic Parameters Setting, I get an FFh error code. What does that mean?
As far as I know all the error codes are numerical... though the manual states "If there is a problem with your E-bike an error code will be displayed. The engine icon will appear with an error code ranging from 01H~FFH "
There is no further explanation of FFH?? A Google search yields nothing more than the same statement?
Does anything work? Have you tried checking the connections? Sometimes pins get bent.
Hey, that's what Raymond wanted. Simplicity,He doesn't even meed to spend the $13 if he cuts a slit in the cable and jumpers two wires to turn on the controller.
I don't know... Simple to me is to use the display 🙃
He did say he would like PAS adjustment available.

As far as I know all the error codes are numerical... though the manual states "If there is a problem with your E-bike an error code will be displayed. The engine icon will appear with an error code ranging from 01H~FFH "
There is no further explanation of FFH?? A Google search yields nothing more than the same statement?
Does anything work? Have you tried checking the connections? Sometimes pins get bent.

I don't know... Simple to me is to use the display 🙃
He did say he would like PAS adjustment available.
Yes, I need the assistance adjustment. Appart from the wires that go from the battery to the controller, I only have two connexions, and the pins are OK. What else?
When I was trying to find the bug, I mixed the red and the black connexion of the battery, and it made a short circuit, but the new display was not there, so could it have damaged the controller? Is there a fuse to avoid damage in this case?

Last edited:
Yes, I need the assistance adjustment. Appart from the wires that go from the battery to the controller, I only have two connexions, and the pins are OK. What else?
When I was trying to find the bug, I mixed the red and the black connexion of the battery, and it made a short circuit, but the new display was not there, so could it have damaged the controller? Is there a fuse to avoid damage in this case?
Yes any short circuit can cause damage.
To be clear.. Did you send reversed polarity to the controller?
There are no fuses in the controller.

Yes any short circuit can cause damage.
To be clear.. Did you send reversed polarity to the controller?
There are no fuses in the controller.
Yes, I think I did, but it's a new one that I ordered years ago and never installed. I tried that in case it would work, so I will reinstall the old one and see if the motor starts. Is there a way to test the controller without changing it?

Yes, I think I did, but it's a new one that I ordered years ago and never installed. I tried that in case it would work, so I will reinstall the old one and see if the motor starts. Is there a way to test the controller without changing it?
Don't think so... There are no repair specs published and there are several ways it could fail.
I guess when swapping it you could check for any visible damage.. you may get lucky and a wire/connection was the weak point that blew

Don't think so... There are no repair specs published and there are several ways it could fail.
I guess when swapping it you could check for any visible damage.. you may get lucky and a wire/connection was the weak point that blew
We at least know that the current goes through it to get to the display. I wonder how I could see any damage from the outside since it is covered with a waterproof stuff, probably silicone. I'll put the old one back and see if everything works.

Back