Problem with 2016 Izip E3 Dash (currie/tranzX Drive train)

chumpy36

So, I thought I was imagining it but the drive trains was sometimes hesitant to engage when applying pedal pressure. Then one day no power at all when pedaling. I turned around to go back home to pull the battery in the hopes it would reset something but it started working again. It then failed again and I had to hump it back without assist. I just put $500 into a battery rebuild and don't want this to head to the junk pile and it seems there aren't many mechanics that will work on the bike here in Atlanta.

I am extremely handy and a good mechanic, I just don't know where to start in terms of diagnostics etc. My first thought is the torque sensors (there must be strain gauges in there somewhere yes?) have failed and the motor isn't getting the go ahead to move. I imagine some other things might be involved as well, speed sensor etc.

Can you folks help me out on the troubleshooting?

Thank you, specs below.

MOTOR BRAND:
Currie Electro-Drive® (TranzX), Model M07

My wife's 2016 iZip E3 Vibe had similar TransX motor problems. Currie replaced the motor under warranty in 2017 with an updated one. I don't know what the mechanical problem was but I had read that it was common.

My wife's 2016 iZip E3 Vibe had similar TransX motor problems. Currie replaced the motor under warranty in 2017 with an updated one. I don't know what the mechanical problem was but I had read that it was common.

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty.

It might be worth a call to Currie/Raleigh/iZip. Maybe there’s a free fix if enough of those motors went bad. 🤔

Thanks. I did call them and they referred me to local dealer. When I called them they said "We've never worked on one but I'm game!" - Not super confidence inspiring. I dropped it with them to see if they can figure anything out. If they can't I guess I'll bug Izip again because I can't find any troubleshooting info at all on the internet or this site.

Pending your LBS review, I'd suggest starting with connectors. A semi-corroded pin in a signal cable can cause intermittent or no response. Un-plugging and re-connecting them is often enough, but take a look for obvious signs of dirt, etc. Mechanically anything that is suspect, with the battery removed! I also use a plastic friendly contact cleaner when working on this type of issue.

0309201133_Film1.jpg

Good luck.

Sorry to hear that, Chumpy. My wife’s iZip bike just started making a low volume, scratchy, rubbing noise when she pedals. I have to ride it and do some testing to see if it’s coming from the motor.

So according to the LBS the motor is shot and the replacement cost is 800$. Gutted.
What did you end up doing with the bike? I got a 2015 E3 Dash with a fried motor, put a Grin Shengyi geared SX2 motor, PAS, display, brake handles, controller, throttle in it for $671 total including tax and shipping. The motor performs great and the controller is highly configurable, e.g. how many levels of PAS you want so you can have small increments, I like 100W increments. I highly recommend Grin, their customer service is 2nd to none. Their controller monitors the engine thermal sensor and reduces power as it gets too warm. And geared motors look like they're better for hills.

Last edited:
What did you end up doing with the bike? I got a 2015 E3 Dash with a fried motor, put a Grin Shengyi geared SX2 motor, PAS, display, brake handles, controller, throttle in it for $671 total including tax and shipping. The motor performs great and the controller is highly configurable, e.g. how many levels of PAS you want so you can have small increments, I like 100W increments. I highly recommend Grin, their customer service is 2nd to none. Their controller monitors the engine thermal sensor and reduces power as it gets too warm. And geared motors look like they're better for hills.
How’s the battery on your 2015 dash?

So, I thought I was imagining it but the drive trains was sometimes hesitant to engage when applying pedal pressure. Then one day no power at all when pedaling. I turned around to go back home to pull the battery in the hopes it would reset something but it started working again. It then failed again and I had to hump it back without assist. I just put $500 into a battery rebuild and don't want this to head to the junk pile and it seems there aren't many mechanics that will work on the bike here in Atlanta.

I am extremely handy and a good mechanic, I just don't know where to start in terms of diagnostics etc. My first thought is the torque sensors (there must be strain gauges in there somewhere yes?) have failed and the motor isn't getting the go ahead to move. I imagine some other things might be involved as well, speed sensor etc.

Can you folks help me out on the troubleshooting?

Thank you, specs below.

MOTOR BRAND:
Currie Electro-Drive® (TranzX), Model M07

I feel your pain. Where did you get the rebuilt battery? What did you end up doing? My e3 peak 2017 took a dump as well and Izip/diamondback is a horrible company with no customer backup to their product. They also referred me to a shop but not one shop in the Metro Detroit area knows anything about these bikes.

Back