Bike keeps cutting out.

_Andre_

Hello. I own a 2015 Izip E3 Dash with the Currie Tranzx 48v 500W hub motor. It’s been a great bike with 4k miles on the odometer. About a week ago, it started shutting off while riding. The screen will stay on but the power cuts off to the motor. Throttle and pedal assist will not work. If I wait or restart, it will work but not for long. If I let it sit for a few hours, I can do about a mile and a half before this happens again. Something tells me it’s a heating issue? The motor doesn't smoke or feel any hotter to the touch then it used to but, since the controller is in the hub, maybe there’s a heating issue there? Is there a sensor that could be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Problems like this can be caused by burned or corroded battery terminals. The corrosion creates resistance and causes heating which interrupts current flow. Enough power will still pass through to keep the display working but not enough to power the motor.

Try cleaning the contacts on both the bike and battery. Be careful not to short the battery terminals! Turn off the switch first if the battery has one.

OR, a 6-7-year-old battery doing its end-of-life dance. AKA SAGGING?

I had a motor that did that when it got warm it would cut out then come back like pumping the gas I think Bafang manufactured a bad batch because I bought 2 bikes at the same time and they both did it. motors were replaced by FLX and have worked fine since 3000 miles latter

Well this is what happened to my 2014 the first time the motor died. I tried to get warranty replacement but had to pay $500. The second motor went crazy two months later w wheel pulsing forward and backward. I got a replacement from them at no cost but they says that was the end of stock back in 2019. This 3rd motor just died on me this week and this means the bike is done. The integrated controller inside the motor is a bad idea and not fixable. The BL-17 battery was always underpowered. The bike will be parted out or sold for scrap to somebody who wants to put $700 into a new retrofit kit since none of the electronics work with anyone else. Sad that I put so much $ into Currie and didn’t think Rad would be around when the opposite is what happened.

Back