Priority Bicycles just launched the most affordable Gates belt mid-drive e-bike

Hey guys, longtime listener, first time caller.

I just upgraded from a Trek ebike (middrive) with a Bosch motor to a Priority Current (Enviolo, if it matters). One thing I notice, particularly in the higher assist settings, is a "jerky" ride. At the "beginning" of each pedal, I get jerked forward, and then the motor seems to completely cut out until the next pedal. Overall, it doesn't make for a very smooth experience. On my Trek, this didn't happen, and I pretty much was always in the highest assist setting.

It's not terrible, it doesn't really affect performance, just one of those things that stays mildly annoying during the ride. Does everyone experience this, or does my situation sound like a faulty unit in some respect?

Hey guys, longtime listener, first time caller.

I just upgraded from a Trek ebike (middrive) with a Bosch motor to a Priority Current (Enviolo, if it matters). One thing I notice, particularly in the higher assist settings, is a "jerky" ride. At the "beginning" of each pedal, I get jerked forward, and then the motor seems to completely cut out until the next pedal. Overall, it doesn't make for a very smooth experience. On my Trek, this didn't happen, and I pretty much was always in the highest assist setting.

It's not terrible, it doesn't really affect performance, just one of those things that stays mildly annoying during the ride. Does everyone experience this, or does my situation sound like a faulty unit in some respect?
The big question here is is this something that can be changed/adjusted? I'm thinking the answer to that question needs to come from the manf. If you do that and get an answer, one way or the other, I'm curious to know what they have to say!

The big question here is is this something that can be changed/adjusted? I'm thinking the answer to that question needs to come from the manf. If you do that and get an answer, one way or the other, I'm curious to know what they have to say!
Well, "officially" the motor is Priority-branded. We all suspect it's a Truckrun, but there's no confirmation on that, and I'm not sure a white labeled product is going to be the responsibility of the manf, at least from the consumer.

Inquiring about whether or not the motor is using an adjustable controller is not asking for anyone to be "responsible". It's about support. If Priority is using this motor, they're very likely going to have some experience handling it, or have access to somebody that does. You are simply asking a question. Shouldn't be that big a deal....

Inquiring about whether or not the motor is using an adjustable controller is not asking for anyone to be "responsible". It's about support. If Priority is using this motor, they're very likely going to have some experience handling it, or have access to somebody that does. You are simply asking a question. Shouldn't be that big a deal....
Sure. I did reach out to Priority about this, and the response was that I shouldn't be at the higher assist levels except when really trying to achieve high speeds. That I should think of them like the gearing on a car.

Frankly, that's a little surprising to me. But beyond that, Priority didn't seem all that concerned that this was an issue. So I'm wondering if others have noticed the same behavior (in which case, I guess that's just the motor/bike), or if no one has noticed anything like this except me (in which case, I might have an issue).

I'm shocked at such a reply… this has me worried although i doubt i will buy a Current as they are not even stocking batteries yet, but i was considering another bike of theirs.

Sure. I did reach out to Priority about this, and the response was that I shouldn't be at the higher assist levels except when really trying to achieve high speeds. That I should think of them like the gearing on a car.

Frankly, that's a little surprising to me. But beyond that, Priority didn't seem all that concerned that this was an issue. So I'm wondering if others have noticed the same behavior (in which case, I guess that's just the motor/bike), or if no one has noticed anything like this except me (in which case, I might have an issue).
Is what priority told you accurate? I figured that with an ebike one should still use gears like on a traditional bike, but that you could safely use the higher assist levels all you want without concern of harming the ebike.

i don’t have an ebike yet, and I don’t know the answer. Can somebody with more knowledge/experience than me chime in?

I'm not sure I'm following. How would having any particular PAS setting have anything to do with the motor turning on and off as the crank was turned?

"At the "beginning" of each pedal, I get jerked forward, and then the motor seems to completely cut out until the next pedal."

To help me understand/maybe help, while in PAS 1 let's say, on a smooth fairly level surface, you are slowly pedaling at a steady rate. Is the motor turning on and off, or is it accelerating to a particular speed (usually somewhere 10-13mph or so)? Same scenario in a higher PAS ratio, the same, or does it change?

What about while using the throttle? Do you have throttle available from a stop, or does the bike need to be moving before the throttle is available?

Need to know this, as not all controllers behave the same way.

What about while using the throttle? Do you have throttle available from a stop, or does the bike need to be moving before the throttle is available?
I contacted Priority and Truckrun about a throttle. Thuckrun says they do have one for the motor used in the Current. However, they suggested contacting Priority first, due to current shipping issues.

I did contact Priority and they said they do not have a compatible throttle. Soon I will contact Truckrun again and order some. The only issue is that the minimum order is ten, but they are not very expensive. If it works I can eBay the rest.

At the "beginning" of each pedal, I get jerked forward, and then the motor seems to completely cut out until the next pedal. Overall, it doesn't make for a very smooth experience. On my Trek, this didn't happen, and I pretty much was always in the highest assist setting.
I have a few comments - not sure if they're helpful or what you want to hear. I'm also not making excuses for the bike/company, but just sharing my experience.

First, the Current initially shipped with a smoother controller setting. It would keep power delivery at low speeds fairly low, so that the bike would start very smoothly from a stop. A lot of people, including myself, weren't very satisfied with that. Although it's nice and fine for people in flat cities, if you have hills, you will not love low power delivery at low speeds. It is particularly counter productive when you are trying to start from a stop going up a hill, when you will guaranteedly be at low speeds the whole time, but desperately need more power. Other controlers might handle this with more sophistication, but not this one. So, Priority started offering a way to update the firmware to provide more power at low speeds, at the expense of a bit more jerkiness from a stop. It was kind of a nightmare for them, because they had to ship their special cable and sometimes even a laptop to allow users to upgrade it. I don't know what decision they've made, but it's possible they decided to keep this new firmware as stock due to the volume of people asking about it.

Second, is that I rarely use power level 4 or 5 unless I want to go really fast. Up until 3, I feel the ride is pretty smooth and the total power level is more than enough. At 5, you get a lot of power really fast, which explains what you're feeling. I personally ride at lower PAS most of the time, and only switch to 4-5 if I'm going up a steep hill or want to reach 28mph quickly. I also like to use my gears a lot.

Third is that what you're feeling is probably a consequence of the torque sensor. Again, I am not saying this is ideal, or that there isn't a better way to do this, but this is what I think is happening: From a top, you put a lot of pressure on the pedal. Since you're at max power assist, even as the controller is programmed to give lower power at lower speeds, it's still a lot of power at level 5. That initial jolt propels you forward, which significantly eases the pressure you're putting on the pedal, which the torque sensor takes as a sign to shut off the motor, until you're at the top of the revolution again, putting pressure on the pedal.

I contacted Priority and Truckrun about a throttle. Thuckrun says they do have one for the motor used in the Current. However, they suggested contacting Priority first, due to current shipping issues.

I did contact Priority and they said they do not have a compatible throttle. Soon I will contact Truckrun again and order some. The only issue is that the minimum order is ten, but they are not very expensive. If it works I can eBay the rest.
One interesting point is that, in Truckrun's product listings (think Alibaba) they state that they don't recommend the use of a throttle when the motor is set up for more than 350W. I also think Priority might be concerned that their hubs might not handle sudden power delivery from a throttle very well. No clue, though, just a guess.

The Current doesn't have a throttle.

Last edited:

Did the throttle work?

I'm getting ready to order a new ebike. I've narrowed it down to the Current or the Rize RX. I really want the Current but I also really want a throttle. I just turned 69 and have arthritic knees. So sometimes after I've ridden too far (enjoying the ride too much), I need the throttle to make my way home. I live in the piedmont of NC so we don't have any real big hills, but rather long hills. And the longest and steepest is the last leg of the way back home.

So I'm really interested to see if anyone has gotten a throttle to work with the Current. I've talked with folks from Priority. They say they don't offer one and if you install one, it will void the warranty. I would take that chance.

I'm getting ready to order a new ebike. I've narrowed it down to the Current or the Rize RX. I really want the Current but I also really want a throttle. I just turned 69 and have arthritic knees. So sometimes after I've ridden too far (enjoying the ride too much), I need the throttle to make my way home. I live in the piedmont of NC so we don't have any real big hills, but rather long hills. And the longest and steepest is the last leg of the way back home.

So I'm really interested to see if anyone has gotten a throttle to work with the Current. I've talked with folks from Priority. They say they don't offer one and if you install one, it will void the warranty. I would take that chance.
Not to discourage you or anything, but the manufacturer of the motor, in their product listing, also discourages the use of throttle for motor specced over a certain wattage. Not sure why.

The RX and the Current are definitely very different bikes. For one, the RX has a much stronger motor (and more reputable too) and a bunch of other neat features that the Current doesn't offer from stock, like suspension (frontal and seat), a much bigger battery, brake lights, etc. I love my Current, I'm a big supporter of Priority, and I love the fact that it's a belt drive. However, based on specs alone (or value for the money) I like the RX better, especially if you will be tackling lots of hills. The previous RX looked terrible, but this new integrated design doesn't look half bad. If I had to choose it again today, I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'd certainly give the bells and whistles on the RX a fair shot.

Not to discourage you or anything, but the manufacturer of the motor, in their product listing, also discourages the use of throttle for motor specced over a certain wattage. Not sure why.

The RX and the Current are definitely very different bikes. For one, the RX has a much stronger motor (and more reputable too) and a bunch of other neat features that the Current doesn't offer from stock, like suspension (frontal and seat), a much bigger battery, brake lights, etc. I love my Current, I'm a big supporter of Priority, and I love the fact that it's a belt drive. However, based on specs alone (or value for the money) I like the RX better, especially if you will be tackling lots of hills. The previous RX looked terrible, but this new integrated design doesn't look half bad. If I had to choose it again today, I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'd certainly give the bells and whistles on the RX a fair shot.
The only thing I have against the Rize RX is it's not a step through. Again, I'm 69 and while I can still mount my current bike which is a high step, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to. The other thing I didn't mention is we spend a rather large amount of time in Blowing Rock, NC which is in the mountains of NC. So instead of hills, I'll have actual mountains to contend with. The RX will definitely be better in that environment. It's just that I really like the looks of the current.

HI guys, new to this forum... am debating between:
1. https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current?variant=33157883789389
and
2. https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/gazelle-ultimate-c380plus-hmb#pim_itemcolorcodeonergb=128,137,145&pim_itemgenderframe=Mid-step

What I like about first one is price... what I hate is luck of forks - my wrists do not like heavy strokes from the road surface against them.. Currently I own this traditional one: https://www.rei.com/product/837480/novara-matador-29er-bike-2014

The other option would be: https://www.rei.com/product/184507/cannondale-tesoro-neo-x-2-electric-bike

I also like Bosh motor (Gazelle).. for the trust/longevity/durability...

I was tempted by REI Tesoro X1, but derailleur maybe is not the way to go this days???
Unfortunately, REI does not offer CVT, yet because Costco membership I could get #1 for around $2570 price.. I'd rather pay 3900 with fork and Bosh though... tough choice.
I keep my bikes.

Price is a factor for sure, but not a deal braker of not getting Gazelle... I like I think CVT, not that it is 'no fun' but probably for most 'economic' gear adjustment.. btw ; pardon my English, I'm non-native US guy.

thx in advance about any of the answer/advises!

Last edited:
HI guys, new to this forum... am debating between:
1. https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current?variant=33157883789389
and
2. https://www.gazellebikes.com/en-us/gazelle-ultimate-c380plus-hmb#pim_itemcolorcodeonergb=128,137,145&pim_itemgenderframe=Mid-step

What I like about first one is price... what I hate is luck of forks - my wrists do not like heavy strokes from the road surface against them.. Currently I own this traditional one: https://www.rei.com/product/837480/novara-matador-29er-bike-2014

I also like Bosh motor (Gazelle).. for the trust/longevity/durability...

I was tempted by REI Tesoro X1, but derailleur maybe is not the way to go this days???
Unfortunately, REI does not offer CVT, yet because Costco membership I could get #1 for around $2570 price.. I'd rather pay 3900 with fork and Bosh though... tough choice.
I keep my bikes.

Price is a factor for sure, but not a deal braker of not getting Gazelle... I like I think CVT, not that it is 'no fun' but probably for most 'economic' gear adjustment.. btw ; pardon my English, I'm non-native US guy.

thx in advance about any of the answer/advises!
I cannot help your decision directly, but I want to add some thoughts here. Disclaimer that I am a happy owner of a Priority Current - no issues with it so far.

• For $100 to $200 you can add a suspension stem to your Current, which can help with some of the handlebar vibration/impact.You can also add a suspension seatpost if you want even more cushioning.
  • You might want to consider the ability to get serviced if something happens to your bike. You would likely get the Gazelle from a local bike shop, which would then be able to work on your bike if you need it. Priority has great customer service and will do their best to help you out if something goes wrong, but there's only so much they can do remotely. Many bike shops flat out refuse to work on ebikes they didn't sell you. That being said, if you're experienced/mechanically inclined, you can probably get by just fine by yourself with Priority's help.
  • The jury on the Current's motor is still out. So far, people have had good experiences. I have only heard of one or two cases of motor failures so far, which is a good sign. However, the Bosch motor is undeniably more reliable.
  • IGH/CVT + belt drive is nice, but I like derailleur just as well. It's fine to have a preference, but there's really nothing wrong with it.
  • $2600 vs $4800 is a pretty steep jump (you said the Gazelle is 3900?)

Last edited:
I cannot help your decision directly, but I want to add some thoughts here. Disclaimer that I am a happy owner of a Priority Current - no issues with it so far.

• For $100 to $200 you can add a suspension stem to your Current, with can help with some of the handlebar vibration/impact.You can also add a suspension seatpost if you want even more cushioning.
  • You might want to consider the ability to get serviced if something happens to your bike. You would likely get the Gazelle from a local bike shop, which would then be able to work on your bike if you need it. Priority has great customer service and will do their best to help you out if something goes wrong, but there's only so much they can do remotely. Many bike shops flat out refuse to work on ebikes they didn't sell you. That being said, if you're experienced/mechanically inclined, you can probably get by just fine by yourself with Priority's help.
  • The jury on the Current's motor is still out. So far, people have had good experiences. I have only heard of one or two cases of motor failures so far, which is a good sign. However, the Bosch motor is undeniably more reliable.
  • IGH/CVT + belt drive is nice, but I like derailleur just as well. It's fine to have a preference, but there's really nothing wrong with it.
  • $2600 vs $4800 is a pretty steep jump (you said the Gazelle is 3900?)
Thx for tips, appreciate a lot.. I already purshased my bike, and ended up buying: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/electric/e-touring/tesoro-neo-x/tesoro-neo-x-1-remixte-smu

Having warranty option via REI, upgraded battery, with nicer air fork, and seatpost Suspension Seatpost - 350mm (S/M), 400mm (L) , with 12 gears sold me out into it. Happy biking to all! p.s. I've heard from dealer they are very few around so despite early January decided getting it now (out of state, no tax) to make sure I'm one of E-biker in 2022. Most unpleasant phase is behind me (research is daunting experience)

Last edited:
Thx for tips, appreciate a lot.. I already purshased my bike, and ended up buying: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/electric/e-touring/tesoro-neo-x/tesoro-neo-x-1-remixte-smu

Having warranty option via REI, upgraded battery, with nicer air fork, and seatpost Suspension Seatpost - 350mm (S/M), 400mm (L) , with 12 gears sold me out into it. Happy biking to all! p.s. I've heard from dealer they are very few around so despite early January decided getting it now (out of state, no tax) to make sure I'm one of E-biker in 2022. Most unpleasant phase is behind me (research is daunting experience)

I have an e-bike already, so shopping for the next is kinda fun here. If I were going to pick an "unpleasant phase" it would be waiting for the darn thing to be delivered!!!!

I have an e-bike already, so shopping for the next is kinda fun here. If I were going to pick an "unpleasant phase" it would be waiting for the darn thing to be delivered!!!!
Indeed. Very cold, and snowy here in Cleveland, OH area.. so .. but again.. taking time and learning various aspects of E-Bike may definitely be fun :). I'd rather do that than constantly monitoring news that are not encouraging since at least last 2-3 years... Biking is a wonderful alternative to cope, and to lift stress of live :). Happy biking to all!

Indeed. Very cold, and snowy here in Cleveland, OH area.. so .. but again.. taking time and learning various aspects of E-Bike may definitely be fun :). I'd rather do that than constantly monitoring news that are not encouraging since at least last 2-3 years... Biking is a wonderful alternative to cope, and to lift stress of live :). Happy biking to all!
A game changer for sure. I hope you are able to enjoy your new bike as much as I enjoy ours. We ride daily. Not far, but every day, unless the weather REALLY stinks.

Back