Possible Game Changer For Charging Ebike Batteries

Ebiker33

Some interesting technology is launching next year that already existed but was not mainstream.
Milwaukee Power Tools is coming out with a small power generator that runs on 1 battery, but can take 2 to increase the run time.
Here is the interesting part, if you are charging the second battery with the first......endless power.

For your standard ebike this is not much of a big deal unless your battery doesn't come off.
But cargo ebikes could have this on them with perpetual charging being always available.

Technology for ebikes continues to evolve and other companies making innovative products add another dimension.

Link
Power Supply Station

Does this have to do with the recent discovery of a 5th force of nature? I'm pretty sure if you are charging one battery with another battery there will be some loss somewhere, especially if you're going through a generator, and the power won't be endless.

TT

Some interesting technology is launching next year that already existed but was not mainstream.
Milwaukee Power Tools is coming out with a small power generator that runs on 1 battery, but can take 2 to increase the run time.
Here is the interesting part, if you are charging the second battery with the first......endless power.

For your standard ebike this is not much of a big deal unless your battery doesn't come off.
But cargo ebikes could have this on them with perpetual charging being always available.

Technology for ebikes continues to evolve and other companies making innovative products add another dimension.

Link
Power Supply Station

Endless power??
Works for me!!
I want one.

Does this have to do with the recent discovery of a 5th force of nature? I'm pretty sure if you are charging one battery with another battery there will be some loss somewhere, especially if you're going through a generator, and the power won't be endless.

TT

Theoretically yes it sends out 1800 watts continual power and the battery charges in 90 minutes, if it doesn't die in 90 minutes you can keep rotating the batteries, or just buy a third one and have it charging that one.
Chargers typically don't use all that power wattage because they are trickle charging

Theoretically yes it sends out 1800 watts continual power and the battery charges in 90 minutes, if it doesn't die in 90 minutes you can keep rotating the batteries, or just buy a third one and have it charging that one.
Chargers typically don't use all that power wattage because they are trickle charging
No. Just no. You're talking about a perpetual motion machine, which, like time machines, are science fiction so far. You can't get any more energy out of a system than you put into it. In reality, friction, even the friction of electrons moving through wires, keeps you from even getting as much out of a system as you put into it. (Strictly speaking, you do get as much energy out as you put in, but some of it is lost to heat and is not recoverable.)

I'm not saying this generator won't charge one battery from the other, but every time it does so, it will charge the second battery to a somewhat lower level. Rinse and repeat a few times and you will have two dead batteries.

TT

This Milwaukee unit is simply a large lithium battery connected to an inverter. It will provide portable 120v AC power which can be used to charge power tool batteries, e-bike batteries or any 120v AC device. The unit needs to be periodically recharged via commercial AC power. It's the all electric equivalent of a portable gas generator.

So tell us, Mr. Milwaukee, how many Watt-Hours in this sucker. It better be 500WH or more.

Actually, I have a soft spot for Milwaukee Tool Works. My 25 year old sawzall came from them. A strong/sturdy tool. I've used it to both build houses and ebikes.

No. Just no. You're talking about a perpetual motion machine, which, like time machines, are science fiction so far. You can't get any more energy out of a system than you put into it. In reality, friction, even the friction of electrons moving through wires, keeps you from even getting as much out of a system as you put into it. (Strictly speaking, you do get as much energy out as you put in, but some of it is lost to heat and is not recoverable.)

I'm not saying this generator won't charge one battery from the other, but every time it does so, it will charge the second battery to a somewhat lower level. Rinse and repeat a few times and you will have two dead batteries.

TT

Why would a power to power charger, charge to a lesser level? It charges it until that little green light goes on and it is just as good as if you plug it into a standard 120V, do you know why....these new batteries and charges all have small computer chips in them, they talk to each other for maximum efficiency.

I am not saying you could have this running 24/7 year after year the heat would probably fry it, but a few weeks, why not?

Why would a power to power charger, charge to a lesser level? It charges it until that little green light goes on and it is just as good as if you plug it into a standard 120V, do you know why....these new batteries and charges all have small computer chips in them, they talk to each other for maximum efficiency.

I am not saying you could have this running 24/7 year after year the heat would probably fry it, but a few weeks, why not?

Why would you need to constantly use one battery to charge another?

Why would you need to constantly use one battery to charge another?
Exactly! Forget about losing any energy in the process. If you use one battery to charge the other, you end up right where you started. Why go through the motions?

Assuming the batteries are the same size and one is fully charged and the other is dead, you will use up the full battery entirely by charging the other one. It doesn't matter at all what kind of computer chips the "generator" has. It's really very basic physics. And it won't charge until the little green light comes on. It will charge until the battery running the generator dies.

TT

Its battery charges in 90 minutes when it's plugged in to a wall charger. A bike battery will take as long as it takes.

I don't want to be snarky, I'm sorry, but you should pick up a 10th grade physics book and read it. Or buy one of these generators and try it.

TT

Back