Possible Game Changer For Charging Ebike Batteries

I think there is some confusion here as to the purpose of this Milwaukee unit. It is simply a portable AC power supply. Configured with one MX Fuel red lithium battery installed on the bottom of the unit, it will provide 1800 watts of 120 volt AC power. Mounting a second battery on top boosts the output to 3600 watts. Charging the unit via commercial AC power takes 90 minutes. It's purpose is primarily for job site locations where commercial power is not available. It is NOT designed to charge itself.

In theory, the 3600 watt version of this power unit will charge an average e-bike battery 5 or 6 times using the bikes OEM AC charger. When using the unit like this, you are simply transferring energy from one large battery into several smaller ones.

I can see this unit being useful for off grid bike trips where there are noise or environmental restrictions. Otherwise, a portable gas powered generator would be a cheaper option.

I think there is some confusion here as to the purpose of this Milwaukee unit. It is simply a portable AC power supply. Configured with one MX Fuel red lithium battery installed on the bottom of the unit, it will provide 1800 watts of 120 volt AC power. Mounting a second battery on top boosts the output to 3600 watts. Charging the unit via commercial AC power takes 90 minutes. It's purpose is primarily for job site locations where commercial power is not available. It is NOT designed to charge itself.

In theory, the 3600 watt version of this power unit will charge an average e-bike battery 5 or 6 times using the bikes OEM AC charger. When using the unit like this, you are simply transferring energy from one large battery into several smaller ones.

I can see this unit being useful for off grid bike trips where there are noise or environmental restrictions. Otherwise, a portable gas powered generator would be a cheaper option.
Exactly! Thank you for clearly stating what this is. It is nothing more than a large battery bank.
Once two batteries are at the same voltage one will not charge the other. There has to be in difference in energy levels. You get the differnce in energy levels with rechargeable batteries by recharging them, AKA plugging them into a energy source(commonly an AC wall socket)

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/ultra_fast_chargers Fast charging is not good for batteries. End of story

Looks like it from that article, but if manufactures of Ebike batteries and the tool industry allow the exact same warranty for their batteries whether you slow charge them of fast charge them, it tells me they have developed chargers that aren't damaging them as much, by slowing down the last 30% like the article mentioned thus saving the lives.
Here is Milwaukee take on it for their other batteries with super charging.

Super Charger charges batteries up to 4X faster than standard Milwaukee chargers, massively reducing downtime and maximizing productivity. The charger accepts all M18™ & M12™ batteries, providing an upgrade for both M18™ & M12™ systems. M18™ REDLITHIUM™ HIGH OUTPUT™ HD12.0 fully charges in only 1 hour. HIGH OUTPUT™ batteries are optimized for use with Super Charger, each built with premium components for superior charging capabilitiy. Featuring REDLINK™ Intelligence, the dual battery charger communicates directly with each battery to monitor cell voltage, temperature and charge status to optimize the performance and extend the life of the pack. The Super Charger identifies the fastest charge rate for each M18™ or M12™ battery pack inserted, adjusting to charge each in the shortest amount of time possible.

As the battery gets older it might not be able to charge it as fast as when it was new, as the system is trying to preserve it's life.

Last edited:
41942😁

Back