Please compare Bafang Ultra vs Bafang BBSHD, especially reliability.

I want to get a bike with a mid-drive Bafang 1,000 watt motor. My options are the older BBSHD with nylon gears, or the newer Ultra with metal gears. I’m interested in a bike with the cheaper BBSHD motor but I’m afraid it will be less reliable and won’t last as long. Should I hold out until I can afford a bike with the Ultra motor? Thanks for your help.

I was in this situation a week ago, what do u have plans for with your bike? Based on my research so far its ,If u can afford the ultra go for it and hold back no regrets.

There are no issues with the plastic gear in BBSHD motors. Period. It’s my worst selling replacement part. Metal gears were developed for the ultra version and those that wanted to crank up the power beyond Bafang specifications. Typically the BBSHD is sold to DIY builders with a very few eBike sellers using the BBSHD.

There are no issues with the plastic gear in BBSHD motors. Period. It’s my worst selling replacement part. Metal gears were developed for the ultra version and those that wanted to crank up the power beyond Bafang specifications. Typically the BBSHD is sold to DIY builders with a very few eBike sellers using the BBSHD.
Thanks for the feedback, Thomas. It sounds like you think it’s a good idea to save some money and get a bike (I’m looking at a Eunorau) with the BBSD instead of forking over a few hundred dollars more for a similar bike (I’m looking at BPMImports.com) with the Ultra — is that right?

Thanks for the feedback, Thomas. It sounds like you think it’s a good idea to save some money and get a bike (I’m looking at a Eunorau) with the BBSD instead of forking over a few hundred dollars more for a similar bike (I’m looking at BPMImports.com) with the Ultra — is that right?

No. I didn’t imply that, BTN Enotau has awful support. Look to someone like Biktrix if you want a Bafang mid drive bike. I’ve been working with another fellow here who is having nightmares dealing with Enorau.

Sorry typing on an iPhone miss spelled the reseller.
Thanks again for the input, Thomas. So, there are two issues here.
1st) BBSD or Ultra. Is Ultra worth a few hundred more — say three hundred more?
2nd) Which provider? Biktrix costs a lot more than Eunorau or BPMImports — potentially enough to make it worth buying the cheaper bike and foregoing the support. I probably can’t afford the Biktrix with the Ultra. It’s about $3,150 with 17a battery and BPM is $2400 with 17a battery. (Eunorau is only $2150 for BBSD) Do you know anything about BPMImports?

With biktrix you have English speaking support. That’s worth the cost.

2nd) Which provider? Biktrix costs a lot more than Eunorau or BPMImports — potentially enough to make it worth buying the cheaper bike and foregoing the support. I probably can’t afford the Biktrix with the Ultra. It’s about $3,150 with 17a battery and BPM is $2400 with 17a battery. (Eunorau is only $2150 for BBSD) Do you know anything about BPMImports?
Also check out the Frey HT1000, its a Ultra bike for around 2000 + shipping

Why not kit your favorite frame? There’s always decent bikes on Craigslist too. Do a BBSHD and learn enough to be independent. BBSHD motors have a great following. I can’t help but be frustrated by the, buy cheap, cross your fingers support. You could build a nice BBSHD eBike for BPM pricing. That way you know the quality of your bike. AND I like getting my perfect fit. I don’t find many bikes that are as rewarding as my builds.

FULL DISCLAIMER. I sell and support BBSxx series motors. Poke around here regarding BTN AND Eunorau. Support and Chinglish can be crazy frustrating. BTW it’s Cinese holiday time. Everything is a mess for shipping off and on for the better part of a month.

oh, and when shopping by price do complete the sellers checkout full landed price. Hidden or obscured pricing can make a responsive dealer to work with and not to much of a premium

BPMImports, just another customer direct seller of B flat bikes. What style bike are you most drawn to?
BTW BBSHD parts are readily available along with hours of youtube help. I went backwards and sold my 3 BBSHD motors, but what a versatile motor. It’s showing it’s strength in commercial use.

BPMImports, just another customer direct seller of B flat bikes. What style bike are you most drawn to?
BTW BBSHD parts are readily available along with hours of youtube help. I went backwards and sold my 3 BBSHD motors, but what a versatile motor. It’s showing it’s strength in commercial use.
Again, thanks for all of the info. I’m trying to learn what I can. But I don’t have time to become a real hands-on expert, building and servicing my own bike(s). My plate is already full. I’m looking for a bike that will be a better car replacement than the one I already have. My current bike is a Fuji/Bosch mountain bike and it’s great — bulletproof for a year with 3,300 miles and no issues. But I need more power and range for my bike to be a better car replacement for daily traveling across a large city (Atlanta). I haven’t needed any support with my current bike so haven’t made that a priority. I don’t want to take apart a BBSD motor and replace nylon gears if I can spend more and get an Ultra that won’t need that kind of servicing. I’m trying to find out if that is the case. Does the Ultra typically last longer without needing service. That’s what I’m trying to learn. It’s hard to find out. Biktrix has a demo with BBSD on sale right now and I’m tempted to get it. It has a 21a battery and the more I think about, and ready Biktrix Juggernaut reviews, the more I think I need that 21a battery with a Motor that strong. I just don’t want to wind up a year later wishing I had a bike with Ultra. I‘d be interested in texting or talking if you have further insights or have bikes of your own for sale that you can tell me about. I’m at 404.6four3.8825.
Peace,
Dave

As Thomas has pointed out before, the nylon gear isn't really a problem unless you jack up the wattage. I have nylon gears in my Ultra and have had no problems.

Look, I have no vested interest here or with Biktrix. I only mention Roshan because he’s a good reseller and adds a layer of real support.

There’s one thing I have repeated here often regarding the “plastic” gear. I bought a spare with every personal BBSxx series motor. I’m thinking 7 or 8. I sold the backup when I sold the motors. My original 2014 BBS02 gear is at the bottom of my tool box. THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH BBSHD PLASTIC GEAR. NONE! If you decide to jump on your fat bike and go snowbank riding, lowing through a foot of snow at max speed, guess what?

I help a fellow fellow that has the largest inventory online for BBSxx series motors. I can’t remember the last plastic gear replacement. I’m thinking the last sale was probably one of the pedicab customers.

Roshan who has sold hundreds of BBSHD bikes and kits can count the number of failed gears on one hand. One he did have was an traced to the lubricant breaking down the gear and softening it. As I’m writing I’m remembering the last couple od sales were riders running Ludicrous controller effectively more than doubling the OEM amps.

Sorry about the pontificating.

Either would be a good choice, forget about the plastic gear fantasy’s.

A year later? You’ll still have a great bike. And likely be just like the rest of us here, or as my Cruzan friend quips, “once bitten...”

Look, I have no vested interest here or with Biktrix. I only mention Roshan because he’s a good reseller and adds a layer of real support.

There’s one thing I have repeated here often regarding the “plastic” gear. I bought a spare with every personal BBSxx series motor. I’m thinking 7 or 8. I sold the backup when I sold the motors. My original 2014 BBS02 gear is at the bottom of my tool box. THERE IS NO ISSUE WITH BBSHD PLASTIC GEAR. NONE! If you decide to jump on your fat bike and go snowbank riding, lowing through a foot of snow at max speed, guess what?

I help a fellow fellow that has the largest inventory online for BBSxx series motors. I can’t remember the last plastic gear replacement. I’m thinking the last sale was probably one of the pedicab customers.

Roshan who has sold hundreds of BBSHD bikes and kits can count the number of failed gears on one hand. One he did have was an traced to the lubricant breaking down the gear and softening it. As I’m writing I’m remembering the last couple od sales were riders running Ludicrous controller effectively more than doubling the OEM amps.

Sorry about the pontificating.

Either would be a good choice, forget about the plastic gear fantasy’s.
You’re not pontificating — you are educating. And I appreciate it. I’m really building my life — i.e. Where my family lives and where I work, around e-biking. It’s important to me. Not to mention that having a daily commuter vehicle that I can take to the MB trails, stash my saddle bags, and get in a trail-ride, is also a life-changing experience. Thanks again for helping.

I bought this bike I have now from BPM and Dan over there is great to deal with .

When I bought mine FX1000 from them they told me they were not going to carry it any more because the import cost way to much and I can understand this because the previous bike I had was basically the same exact bike except it had a HUB motor and I removed that and installed a BBSHD kit and loved the bike again it was just the way i wanted it and then on April 29 2019 it got STOLE .

So I looked long and hard to find someone that carried the EXACT same frame design and BPM was it so I basically knew what I was buying before I bought it and the durability of the frame but the only difference was the Ultra drive incorporated into the frame and that is what I am playing around with now on the programming .

I want it to preform like my BBSHD on my other bike does but with the torque sensor it is a little tricky to get the setting right but I am very close to the perfect settings.

When I contact them about the display not working correctly they did me right and gave me a refund on the cost of a new display and I went and purchased the same display that came on the bike DPC 18 uart with 5 assist with Eco & Sport mode Now I am programming it as if it has 6 pedal assists and using pedals assist 0 as actually 1 and everything so far is working the way it should . I am just fine tuning the setting when it comes to the Torque Delta Voltage mv
I think your life will be easier with the EggRider + phone. Program on the road or trail, better display that calculates & shows kwh/mile in real time. Phone also doubles as live map.

check out the problems with Eunorau support. NEVER BUY BASED ON PRICE ALONE, Biktrix is an English speaking Canadian business with exemplary support. Want to be your own support and trouble shooting expert? Buy the cheap seat. Let that Chinese lady try to sort your issue.

I would 2nd Frey as an option. Chinese? Yes, but they have a following on the endless sphere forums and it sounds like they will do right by you. They warranty the entire bike for two years. there is a possibility though that you will need support and mailing stuff back and forth will take time and you might be down a bike for a little while. This is my biggest concern.

Most of their bikes are ultra motors and you have a lot of options for customization and component selection.

I’m considering one myself but I’m still figuring out exactly what I want. I’ve emailed them a bunch and they have been pretty responsive even during the Chinese New Year. I have read they are most prompt when you message them through alibaba.

The AM1000 seems to be very popular.

There is some YouTube videos as well.

Back